News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68-70 quarter panel end cap gaskets: do I need them?

Started by Dennis K, August 03, 2007, 09:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis K

When I took my car apart there were black plastic spacers or gaskets between the end caps and the quarter panels, but my body guy apparently misplaced them, so my question is, do I really need them? What was their purpose? I assume they were an anti-rattler or something. Would it be good enough to seal the holes where the studs go through the quarter to keep out dust and water, or do I really need to replace the gaskets, and if so, where can I get them? There was nothing that looks like them in the paint gasket set I bought. Thanks.

Dennis K

Thanks, I just bought them. I'm still curious to find out why they were there, if anyone knows for sure.

Hemidog

Quote from: Dennis K on August 03, 2007, 10:42:30 AM
Thanks, I just bought them. I'm still curious to find out why they were there, if anyone knows for sure.
i have that set, and the "instructions" say that these are not gaskets, but "gap hiders".

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

my theory on why they are there, is to make it so the extention (cap) doesnt come in tight contact with the edge of the 1/4 panel . thus avoiding big hunks of paint from being chipped off when the nuts are tightened down.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

daytonalo

six-tee-nine

Quote from: 1hot68 on August 04, 2007, 12:00:26 PM
my theory on why they are there, is to make it so the extention (cap) doesnt come in tight contact with the edge of the 1/4 panel . thus avoiding big hunks of paint from being chipped off when the nuts are tightened down.

I'm with you here. If you tighten the nuts without a "gasket" the paint underneath the caps will crack eventually and over the years will lead to rusty spots but thats just my opinion.

I would use them things for sure...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

charge70

Dennis,what year charger are you working on?I've only seen these gaskets on 68 chargers,never on a 69 or a 70. John.

y3chargerrt

My 69 came with them. I recently replaced them with the repros. They fit nice but cant be seen once installed.

69DodgeCharger

My current 69 and both of my 69 parts cars came with them.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

daytonalo

Wont they push the caps out too far , and then the caps will be not even with edge of deck lid ? While were here , does anyone have an extra set of qtr end caps , one of mine was dropped and broken . Larry

bill440rt

ALL of my Chargers had them, 68, 69, & 70. I was able to re-use my originals.
They are very thin, so they do not cause any problems with gaps.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dennis K

Thanks for all the info. It makes sense that they called them "gap hiders". I have my end caps installed without the plastic pieces, and I can see daylight between the caps and the quarters when I look at it just right. I could have reused the originals, but my body guy misplaced them, and I could probably drive 35 miles and look around his shop and maybe find them, for the price of the new ones I can't go wrong. I have also seen lots of the end caps with dimples in them where the studs are from be over tightened, and I don't want to risk that happening, so I'm glad I asked this question and bought the new parts.

daytonalo

Does anyone have a # for that company ? It is not on e-bay . Does anyone repop the corner caps ? I need a pass side , Anyone ?

Hemidog

daytonalo

daytonalo

Has anyone bought these caps from PG ? And are they perfect or junk ?