News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MoparStuart's Convertible Superbird Project Pic's

Started by MOPARHOUND!, August 17, 2007, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Quoteyou could have the same problem LOL  mine didn't knock until you rode in it so i think its your fault :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

Possibly!
I have what sounds like a rod Knock from the front of the engine when warm, but it made it from Illinois to Alabama and back last year and it is still making the noise! It's just annoying now, but I suppose someday something will let go (like yours) and then I'll know what it was.  :shruggy:

Scott Faulkner

moparstuart

Quote from: 70Sbird on July 01, 2010, 09:15:10 PM
you could have the same problem LOL  mine didn't knock until you rode in it so i think its your fault :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

Possibly!
I have what sounds like a rod Knock from the front of the engine when warm, but it made it from Illinois to Alabama and back last year and it is still making the noise! It's just annoying now, but I suppose someday something will let go (like yours) and then I'll know what it was.  :shruggy:
yeah i remember i told you waynes 500 was doing the same thing and it was his brand new timing chain was bad .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

Quote from: A383Wing on July 01, 2010, 08:36:42 PM
I got the Holy Water....

I gotta put a new rad in the Daytona this weekend.... :brickwall:

just did  that also 

hotrod98

Looks like a result of hydrostatic lock. I say don't use that piston. It took a lot of force to bend that rod and all of that force went into the piston. Have the crank journal magnafluxed for cracks as well just to be safe. You may have had a head gasket let go or a head cracked so I would have the heads checked. Have them check the cylinder walls for a crack. Rods just don't do that unless the cylinder was full of fluid, either fuel or coolant.
I swear that you and I have to be related. This is the kind of stuff that usually happens to me.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

Quotehydrostatic

no, it's just the black cloud  :pullinghair:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

A383Wing

hotrod98

Check out this article.  http://www.bing.com/reference/semhtml/?title=Hydrolock&qpvt=hydrostatic+lock&fwd=1&src=abop&q=hydrostatic+lock

Stuart...I think there's a chance that the heavy rain that morning could have ran into the air cleaner by way of the air grabber? Was the air grabber open or was it closed and sealed?
I think it's more than coincidental that it was raining heavily all morning and then you get hydrolock. When you started the engine, it probably pulled water that was sitting in the air cleaner into that cylinder.

Charles Addams

pettybird

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 01, 2010, 10:05:00 PM
Looks like a result of hydrostatic lock. I say don't use that piston. It took a lot of force to bend that rod and all of that force went into the piston. Have the crank journal magnafluxed for cracks as well just to be safe. You may have had a head gasket let go or a head cracked so I would have the heads checked. Have them check the cylinder walls for a crack. Rods just don't do that unless the cylinder was full of fluid, either fuel or coolant.
I swear that you and I have to be related. This is the kind of stuff that usually happens to me.

that's what I sent him in an email.  I can't think of another reason a rod would bend like that.  the rain's a good culprit, too. 

+1 on checking everything, especially since you have it apart. 

hotrod98

The same thing could have happened to my car since it has an air grabber as well. The difference may have been that my door shuts when I turn off the engine and I think Stuart's stays open. I'll definitely watch that from now on just in case.
Of course Stuart's problem may have had nothing to do with the rain.
That morning I drove the bird from the hotel to the Dodge dealership in pouring down rain. I remember thinking that if the air grabber door was open that it could cause a multitude of problems both electrical and otherwise.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

well there has not been any water or anti freeze in the oil . the air cleaner element has not even been wet ?  My air cleaner has that metal shield in the front so i would have to be flying hard down the road for it to even think of getting water in there ?  It has been running super rich ? wrong cam we are pretty sure ?  could fuel have done the same hydrolock ?

hotrod98

Fuel can definitely do it. On one of my race cars,  I had fuel leak down from my carb when one of the needles stuck open due to some trash in the seat area and it locked one cylinder. Luckily the piston must have been close to the top because it didn't damage anything when it happened. I just removed the plugs and spun the motor over and blew all of the alcohol out of the cylinders. No harm done that time.
The three ways that the cylinders can lock is outside water coming in through the carb, engine coolant or fuel. I don't see how you could ever get enough oil into a cylinder to cause it to lock.
There should have been some traces of whatever caused it seen during teardown. Are you running an electric fuel pump? Possibly an open carb needle. Like I said before coolant would come in either by a cracked head or cylinder wall or through the head gasket. Those are pretty much all of the scenarios. Just make sure that absolutely everything is checked or you may have it happen again. Check to see what it will cost to replace that piston. I would definitely not re-use it.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

I wonder if water could have pooled in the recesses in the top of the air cleaner lid and ran down the studs. That would have bypassed the filter element altogether.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 02, 2010, 10:20:37 AM
I wonder if water could have pooled in the recesses in the top of the air cleaner lid and ran down the studs. That would have bypassed the filter element altogether.
possible a little but I didnt see any water on the lid when i opened the hood , there was a bunch in the latch tray  ? but that was from rolling down the hood at the front .    The center carb has never been able to adjust correctly , and mr six pac who sent me the new cam says if i have the wrong cam it wont allow the carb to draw the correct vacuum thus not allowing the fuel adjustment , they did find carbon but not enought build up yet to stop a piston .  There is less then 3k miles on this motor .  

moparstuart

plan is to have everything checked out and go with brand new rods and pistons ,  checking the block heads and crank.

anyone recommend a reasonable priced  good tested rod and piston combo for a good stock motor build that i dont race or abuse but that i do drive the hell out of and take for major long distances  ??  
 any suggestions are welcome .  

superbirdtom

call mark characky at mitchell motor parts.  he is awesome and has built many many engines of all combos and one of the nicest guys in the mopar world.  just mention my name.    thanks    tom

moparstuart

got the new impossible to burn out remflex exhaust gaskets today and the mr six pac cam came in too .

moparstuart

:drool5:

moparstuart

new cam and lifter to solve my vaccuum & fueling problem

moparstuart

:popcrn:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on July 03, 2010, 10:39:21 PM
are you changing the springs on the heads?
when i called mr six pac he said my stock six pac valve springs were as good at anything out there ? so i was not going to  ?

BigBlockSam

Quotewas not going to  ?

i was just wondering . cause some companies insist that you change the springs . maybe thats just so you buy there springs . makes sense . i'm gonna order the cam and lifters from Mr. sixpack for my new motor for my daytona . i got my fingers crossed for ya . you deserve a break with you motors.  :popcrn:

hey you got his contact info for me?

pettybird

Stu, can I say I'm jealous of your hylift johnson?

BigBlockSam

QuoteStu, can I say I'm jealous of your hylift johnson?

Hey that sound's dirty  :nono:

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on July 04, 2010, 12:10:46 PM
Stu, can I say I'm jealous of your hylift johnson?
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

mr six pac info              Bob Karakashian (mr6pk@hotmail.com)

Bob Karakashian
                                                     24269 Novi Rd.
                                                     Novi,  MI    48375           248-477-7776

he was great to deal with and i got it really fast    cost 335.00 shipped with lifters  , but its worth every penny if it does the trick