News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MoparStuart's Convertible Superbird Project Pic's

Started by MOPARHOUND!, August 17, 2007, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

How far were you from home when the trans let go  ?  Do you know what caused it yet?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

moparstuart

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on September 19, 2012, 09:24:18 PM
How far were you from home when the trans let go  ?  Do you know what caused it yet?
just like 35 minutes , not yet but crack in tail shaft by the speedo cable out let , and it was a huge kaboom
so something internal failed badly
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Indygenerallee

Stuart, I was thinking after you changed your 8 3/4 over to the Dana did you notice how much yoke travel you had int the driveshaft? I would think it should be the same but just was thinking that maybe something with the swap contributed with the tailshaft breaking at that spot and I have seen it before from improper yoke travel (bottoming out)  :shruggy:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Indygenerallee

I went back and looked through your pics, if the car is on the ground in those pictures the yoke looks like it is out too far to me.

FJ5WING

Ive had a tail shaft shear and there was no kaBoom..I think the cracked tail shaft is from what let go inside.

Stuart...tell me about the new headlights, Are they available without the blue dots? Id love to upgrade the lights on the R/T but dont want to have to install the relays necessary for the "good" set up.

wingless now, but still around.

Indygenerallee

You can crack a tailshaft from improper driveshaft balance, or the yoke being too far in or out, Harmonic vibrations will crack that tailshaft housing and where the tailhousing cracked is a indication of excessive force applied rearward of the crack, I have rebuilt too many 727's and 904's most catastrophic internal problems result a huge case crack where the bellhousing transitions into the main body of the case.

moparstuart

here is what my tranny guy thought
probaly overrunning clutch is broken. usually cracks the tailshaft, weak link is the speedo opening, case is likely shot too internally.

Ghoste

I thought an overrunning failure typically hammered up the main case?  But I certainly defer to the professionals.

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on September 20, 2012, 06:29:27 AM
I thought an overrunning failure typically hammered up the main case?  But I certainly defer to the professionals.
he said it is most likely trashed inside , but we wont know for sure until we pull it apart

most likely not untill christmas break , thats when scott has time to do the viper 6 speed tranny install
  i have tentitively purchased a 5 k miles used viper tranny for 1200.00 now i just have to gather the rest of the stuff

2 grand on the tach  at 70 MPH in the 6th gear sound like heaven   :icon_smile_big:

Indygenerallee

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

70Sbird

2 grand on the tach  at 70 MPH in the 6th gear sound like heaven   :icon_smile_big:
[/quote]

Oh Hell Yea!

Scott Faulkner

moparstuart

Quote from: cdr on September 20, 2012, 09:31:53 AM
the dana 60 driveshaft is shorter than 8.75
yes the rear end and drive shaft both came out of my 69 runner , they had been in it since 85 when i put them there .  No problems at all with that car  .  The Dana takes a bigger u joint also on top of having a little shorter length drive shaft .

BigBlockSam

i didn't even think of that . you changed the rear . was the car shaking at all before it  blew .  :scratchchin:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 20, 2012, 05:32:45 PM
i didn't even think of that . you changed the rear . was the car shaking at all before it  blew .  :scratchchin:
no, no viberations at all
     now a manual tranny and drive shaft going in

BigBlockSam

Quotenow a manual tranny and drive shaft going in

cool, make lemonade .  :slap:  i did that conversion to my RR . pretty easy . just takes cash . have that drive shaft balanced .

P.S. it's a little harder to do a standing burnout with a clutch car  but don't worry i'll teach you  :nana: 
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Indygenerallee

Burnout!  :lol: :smilielol: :rofl: That poor 727 commited suicide because it had never been put through a burnout!!!  :lol:

BigBlockSam

a burnout is how you brake an engine and tranny in  :shruggy:

moparstuart

good info here on putting a 6 speed viper tranny in

scott found this fantastic thread , great info and prices too
    http://www.bigblockdart.com/forum/showthread.php?3985-T-56-6-speed-discussion...updated-06-28-09

moparstuart

My New Shirt to match my car  , oh and my socks too

Rob Mac can make one for you to or to match your car and stripes

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thirteen-Twenty-Graphix/379278442125176?fref=ts 

Thirteen Twenty Graphix out of Brockton mass

Fred

You're quite the fashionista Stuart. I'm extremely proud of you.  :cheers:

p/s it sure beats pink.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

A383Wing

I think he would look good in pink...anyone got a photoshop program to change it?

Bryan

limelightsuperbird528

Sorry to hear about your trans.  Just to be safe it looked like the horse shoe clip for the parking brake lever pivot post may need to be bent more closed if you already haven't. In the picture it looks that way. Good luck on your next transmission!

1970Moparmann

Stu, is the trans fixed? :popcrn:

Best thing for a new trans is a good 'ol break torque. :rofl:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

moparstuart

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on October 02, 2012, 07:40:27 AM
Stu, is the trans fixed? :popcrn:

Best thing for a new trans is a good 'ol break torque. :rofl:
no we are taking a totally new direction and cutting the tranny tunnel out and putting a Viper six speed manual tranny in the car .
  So its a major winter project .