News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MoparStuart's Convertible Superbird Project Pic's

Started by MOPARHOUND!, August 17, 2007, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66chargerkid

66chargerkid

Ill get better pictures. But its totally stripped except for the glass is in it. Everything else is in box's... Which is pretty fun. Front seats are recovered. Back ones need to be put together. Have all new carpet and headliner. Need to clean up all my chrome wich is in a trash bucket in the loft along with my consols and everything else. I traded my 400 that came with the car and i have a 66 383 (non original) The transmission is sitting in the car. All drive train needs to be gone through. The police wheels are leaving and i have 05 mustang wheels that are going on with the spinner inserts.Have alot of stuff for it.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 66chargerkid on September 06, 2007, 10:22:41 AM
my car. not a great picture but it works

How do you get your girlfriend in the back seat when the console goes all the way thru?   :icon_smile_big:  Err you dont have to answer that with your Dad reading.. :rofl:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

see how he has little vents in his sail panels  you could buy those new huge ones for late model mustang / shelby's
and cut fit them in there

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Howie

You were going along pretty good kid till you mentioned wheels with spinners :Twocents:. Do get yourself a wing for it though.

moparstuart

the wheels actually look good  they are the old school spinners like on cragers they are 16 inch wheels off an 05 mustang 
   we are parting  the car hear at the salvage yard

pettybird

yeah not spinners...  you've seen them before--they're tri-bar center caps, like halibrand knockoffs.

those wheels will look cool on there.

pic from google:  http://www.v6john.com/Main/Stock.jpg

moparstuart

thats them  just have a pony in the middle.  Need a penestar decal.      If anyone has some of those black or blue decals
i need  5 of them for the kids car's wheels

moparstuart

hey that yellow 66 came out of a barn for 2000.00 can we call it a barn find

nascarxx29

You did some nice work on your superbird convertible.It looks good .I helped a friend do one of them in the 90s .We had access to a parts superbird.We started with a original FM3 70 Satellite ragtop.Dave P from PCG does really nice work on dash clusters.I noticed you mentioned he did your instrument cluster .Dave also featured my old well known and remembered superbird in his magazine advertisements.Which time from time I run across remant parts from it 70 AM FM radio  rallye dash radio faceplate side markers front valance woodgrain steering wheels etc turn up  .When moving things around at my new location.Small world I sold Wayne P a primered flat black superbird wing at the mopar nats sometime 80-s or 90-s.That I had in my parts hauler 81 buick wagon.I had to remove the front bench seat to get the the uprights out from under the seat where I stored them.I assembled the wing carried it in on my shoulders .While I walking with over to Ted Janaks spot.Wayne bought it off for me.Back then $800,00.I had rescued it for $500.00 a week earlier from a guy with a elcamino that wanted it on his truck over the tailgate.I found a picture of that wing .It was earlys 80s as my daytona is still in the garage

1969 Daytona 440 
1970 Coronet 500 383 Presently owned
1970 Superbird 440 U 166242
1970 Superbird 440 U 174597 
1970 Superbird 440-6 V 179697 Salvage
1970 Coronet RT 440 U 224126 
1968 Road Runner 426 J 134509
1970 Daytona Replica 318 G 178701
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

that cool i love the pink bird convertible ( that cars not the one that got hot in a fire in new york ??? a few years back??? read an artical in one of the mag's about it )
  that sure looks like the same wing i bought from wayne ???  was yours yellow inside????  off a yellow car ??????
stuart

nascarxx29

The pink car was in the mystery garage fire.Its story was in MCG.It didnt suffer any metal damage.Just top paint and lenses melted.The wing I sold wayne as pictured in my driveway was already flat blacked.Not sure what color was underneath exactly .I didnt realize until I seen your superbird convertible post .That you were the same guy who lost a wing at a body shop I read about in my wingcar newsletters.Ive seen this type of thing happen alot.We will keep a look out for it.

hemi68charger

Stuart,,
Man, that 'bird ragtop is lookin' great.. Good job..............

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

learical1

Just an aside...may not have any bearing on this discussion.

I GAVE the yellow wing off of my parts car 'Bird (V0A149852) to the Winged Warrior's club in 76 or 77 to use as a prize at that year's National Meet.  The California members were passing through Phoenix on their way to the meet, and I donated the wing and the 2 back window extensions.  Might be the same wing.
Bruce

moparstuart

Well from you picture it sure looks like your wing is now on my car. 
  It had tons of yellow paint down inside both uprights.  If you have anymore pictures of it please email them to me. I would love to put this part of the story and pictures in my restoration book. 

learical1

Sorry, but in the '70's we didn't take pictures of parts cars.  Actually, I believe that when Jim Radke, Joe M. and the rest of the California guys first drove out to see my SuperBirds, we drove all over Phoenix taking pictures of all the aero cars that my brother and I knew of.  I know they took pictures of all 4 of our 'Birds, 2 Daytonas, a 440/727 500 with air and a vinyl top, and a couple other SuperBirds.   V0A149852 had a 70 RR front end on in, no engine or tranny, and a bumper sticker on the back that said, "I'm tempermental (95% temper, 5% mental)".  The wing was still on it at this point.   
Bruce

moparstuart

Wow a wing as a door prize . That would be awesome . Hindsight is 20/20 through. I may have your wing also ?? Who knows would have been nice if they stamped vin's on wings and noses I would know what cars got crushed to build mine .

nascarxx29

I only have these wing circle decal remants laying around fron the 80-s .My friend with the pink bird convert aquired a few wings.We got a nice one from John Mcbride for the pink car.And we got some tortured ones at various places.Where the center bolt was stuck in .And someone tried hacksawing to seperate the upright from the center.We have that and a superbird in a envelope from that car

moparstuart

thanks for looking. This sure is a great place and a great way to find out information.  Lots more info for my book and i'm sure wayne had forgotten who he bought the wing from . Lots more stuff to document the car . It's my dream car my way and i hope to have it all my life . I have had my second mopar for 23 years now so i dont get rid of them lightly .  Had this one 10 years already hard to beleive and only driven it 4 times. I hope to change that number dramaticly next week .

66chargerkid

The funny thing is I instituted some of those drives. I would ask him to take me around the block. I came back from colorado and there behold a white convertible. Kinda scary this car is just now getting done when i remember it last running when i was 5. :o

Todd Wilson

pettybird

nh_mopar_fan

Nice job. Just wondering, how much clearance do you have on opening that trunk lid?

learical1

I'm sure this has been posted before, but the decklid clears the wing no problem.  The stops on the 'Birds hinges are there to keep the FRONT of the decklid from hitting the back window plug when open.
Bruce

66chargerkid

That bird is Lyle Sihrs car. It was kinda cobbled togther. It looks alright in the picture but there was some shotty body work, the paint isn't spectacular, the body lines are kinda off, and when that car is started that hemi shakes and rattles the whole car. There is no top. And trunk clearance is less then a thumb... i know because last time we went and checked on the car i got my thumb stuck between the wing and the trunk lid.  :rotz: