News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71Chrgr-Converting From Auto To Manual-Kiesler 5 Speed Set Up/Or Factory Set Up?

Started by 71 B5383, August 12, 2007, 09:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 B5383

I plan to do one of the 2,I'm looking for any suggestions going with either way.My car is auto on the column,so either way there will be work to be done.It is a 383 car and will be running that as well.But any ideas or input from experiences is greatly appreciated.I do know rhe crank may need drilled for the manual set up.But am I better off finding doners for a factory 4 speed set up or just buy the 5 speed set up that comes with everything? Thanks :cheers:
Should've Kept My '66,That Was 6 Cars Ago
Currently-
  Rust Free 71(383,GB5,HardTop) Charger
  Soon To Be An FJ5 Stock 69 440 Magnum'd 3.55'd
   Correct "LOOKING" Super Wanna Bee
        (by the way,gotta 71 Super Bee hood 4 sale?)
           some cash and my 72 Power Bulge hood?

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Troy

I know that 68-70 console parts are a giant headache but I think the 3rd gen stuff may be easier to find/modify. Tracking down original 4-speed parts is a pain so you're better off to buy everything as a package. There are a LOT of parts other than the trans, bell housing, and shifter - especially if going with a console. Some of the easy ones to forget are the neutral safety switch, reverse indicator, and the console wiring harness (this may not be different on a 3rd gen). No one will have the correct steering column as part of the kit so you'll have to find that on your own. Pedal assemblies are the same as e-bodies I believe so you'll be paying inflated prices for those. There is a firewall support/stiffener on the 2nd gens that is reproduced but I'm not sure if it's necessary or available for 3rd gens.

You can order kits from Passon Performance or Brewer's if you want original stuff. Passon is probably a bit cheaper on a package price. You can get by a bit cheaper because a 383 would have a 23 spline transmission which is about half the cost of an 18 spline. You can go with a later 833 overdrive trans if you are just going to be cruising which will give you the factory look with better highway mileage. You'll have to modify the trans or bell housing for this to work. The good news as that these are very cheap but the bad news is that you shouldn't use it for any sort of racing (although RallyeMike has one in his open road racer). Passon sells their own 18 spline overdrive which will handle much more power. It looks stock, is still cheaper than Kiesler, and guaranteed to fit. There is a bushing that fits an auto crank I believe.

Keisler has fans and also people who aren't happy so you're bound to get mixed reviews. My biggest "issue" is that the shifter is in the center which looks a bit odd if you don't have a console (Mopar has a side mounted shifter which requires a "hump" to be added to the floor). If you have to find/buy all the console stuff then the price becomes much more of an issue (easily another $1,000-2,000 on a 2nd gen). The next big issue is that you have to trim/cut your car in non-stock places to make it fit (much more for the 6-speed). This is probably fine if your car isn't rare or if your floor is already hacked. When it comes to trimming the frame or crossmembers I get a bit queasy though. I guess the third issue that I'm aware of is lack of parts/slow shipping from Keisler. I've heard this from waaaaaay to many people to ignore. I have one of these things but haven't needed support or parts yet so I don't have personal experience there. However, I have talked to them at several shows and they've never had anything I've asked about at the tent or in the shop. I always got the "we'll ship it to you when it comes in" speech. The transmissions are basically stock Mustang (I don't know what the 6-speed goes in) so the parts/gear availability should be good as well as finding a mechanic that doesn't mind working on it. The extra gear is nice vs a 4-speed overdrive. Some people complain about the gear spread but it shouldn't be a problem with the torque from a big block. You can save yourself some aggravation by getting the hydraulic clutch kit. This way you won't need the z-bar linkages/brackets and won't need to do any welding.

Lastly these things cost $$$. Several members have opted for a Gear Vendors overdrive behind their automatics instead. This obviously isn't an option if you'd really rather shift your own gears - like me! This option also requires modifications to the car and definitely doesn't look stock from underneath. I'd say that the stock setup will be the simplest/cheapest. It's also the least intrusive for your car.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rolling_Thunder

I would suggest an 833 OD unit for what you want - big blocks make decent torque to cover the wide ratios and honestly - I've driven stock 4-speeds, Passons 18 spline OD, a factory 833 OD, and a Tremec 3550...      all in big block mopars....        overall I like my Tremec, but for ease of maintinance and just pure fitment - i think the 833 OD is a sound unit...      Passon is expensive and honestly not needed in my opinion...     I have yet to see an 833 OD break...   I've ran one behind a stock 440, warmed up 440+6, and a 500 stroker...      never had a problem...      put slicks on it and take it to the track then you have problems....        but street driving should not be an issue...     and worst case do what my boss does...    if you're going to the track once or twice a year, swap a normal 4-speed in....    then swap back to the OD unit.

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

71 B5383

Quote from: Troy on August 19, 2007, 03:22:22 PM
I know that 68-70 console parts are a giant headache but I think the 3rd gen stuff may be easier to find/modify. Tracking down original 4-speed parts is a pain so you're better off to buy everything as a package. There are a LOT of parts other than the trans, bell housing, and shifter - especially if going with a console. Some of the easy ones to forget are the neutral safety switch, reverse indicator, and the console wiring harness (this may not be different on a 3rd gen). No one will have the correct steering column as part of the kit so you'll have to find that on your own. Pedal assemblies are the same as e-bodies I believe so you'll be paying inflated prices for those. There is a firewall support/stiffener on the 2nd gens that is reproduced but I'm not sure if it's necessary or available for 3rd gens.

You can order kits from Passon Performance or Brewer's if you want original stuff. Passon is probably a bit cheaper on a package price. You can get by a bit cheaper because a 383 would have a 23 spline transmission which is about half the cost of an 18 spline. You can go with a later 833 overdrive trans if you are just going to be cruising which will give you the factory look with better highway mileage. You'll have to modify the trans or bell housing for this to work. The good news as that these are very cheap but the bad news is that you shouldn't use it for any sort of racing (although RallyeMike has one in his open road racer). Passon sells their own 18 spline overdrive which will handle much more power. It looks stock, is still cheaper than Kiesler, and guaranteed to fit. There is a bushing that fits an auto crank I believe.

Keisler has fans and also people who aren't happy so you're bound to get mixed reviews. My biggest "issue" is that the shifter is in the center which looks a bit odd if you don't have a console (Mopar has a side mounted shifter which requires a "hump" to be added to the floor). If you have to find/buy all the console stuff then the price becomes much more of an issue (easily another $1,000-2,000 on a 2nd gen). The next big issue is that you have to trim/cut your car in non-stock places to make it fit (much more for the 6-speed). This is probably fine if your car isn't rare or if your floor is already hacked. When it comes to trimming the frame or crossmembers I get a bit queasy though. I guess the third issue that I'm aware of is lack of parts/slow shipping from Keisler. I've heard this from waaaaaay to many people to ignore. I have one of these things but haven't needed support or parts yet so I don't have personal experience there. However, I have talked to them at several shows and they've never had anything I've asked about at the tent or in the shop. I always got the "we'll ship it to you when it comes in" speech. The transmissions are basically stock Mustang (I don't know what the 6-speed goes in) so the parts/gear availability should be good as well as finding a mechanic that doesn't mind working on it. The extra gear is nice vs a 4-speed overdrive. Some people complain about the gear spread but it shouldn't be a problem with the torque from a big block. You can save yourself some aggravation by getting the hydraulic clutch kit. This way you won't need the z-bar linkages/brackets and won't need to do any welding.

Lastly these things cost $$$. Several members have opted for a Gear Vendors overdrive behind their automatics instead. This obviously isn't an option if you'd really rather shift your own gears - like me! This option also requires modifications to the car and definitely doesn't look stock from underneath. I'd say that the stock setup will be the simplest/cheapest. It's also the least intrusive for your car.

Troy

Exactly how I needed it explained.Sounds like I'll stick with the auto.I can build too much of a bad ass motor and trans for all that.Or wait until Hell freezes over and get a 4 spd car.Thanks
Should've Kept My '66,That Was 6 Cars Ago
Currently-
  Rust Free 71(383,GB5,HardTop) Charger
  Soon To Be An FJ5 Stock 69 440 Magnum'd 3.55'd
   Correct "LOOKING" Super Wanna Bee
        (by the way,gotta 71 Super Bee hood 4 sale?)
           some cash and my 72 Power Bulge hood?