News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timing Check

Started by Purple440, August 24, 2007, 03:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple440

Is there are good way to check base timing if the timing degree plate (or whatever it's called) that sits over the dampener only reads 0-5-10 degrees? I'm trying to set it to 18 initial but after 10 degrees it's a guess... :shruggy:

Steve P.

I use an adjustable timing light. It allows me to advance or retard the flash and strictly use the -0- mark on the timing tab and TDC slot on any balancer. 

Another way is to clean the hell off your balancer and add a timing tape to it. You should be able to pick up a timing tape at any speed shop or Summit..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Steve P. on August 24, 2007, 10:12:46 PM
I use an adjustable timing light. It allows me to advance or retard the flash and strictly use the -0- mark on the timing tab and TDC slot on any balancer. 

Another way is to clean the hell off your balancer and add a timing tape to it. You should be able to pick up a timing tape at any speed shop or Summit..

Exactly....timing tape or a dialback light is what you need to set base timing and map out the advance curve.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Purple440

Ok I'll give the dialback light a shot...but I thought with an MSD setup it wouldn't be accurate until 3000rpm or so..

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on August 25, 2007, 02:12:33 AM
Ok I'll give the dialback light a shot...but I thought with an MSD setup it wouldn't be accurate until 3000rpm or so..

Doug, some dialback timing lights act funny with the MSD units....i know my budy's Equus dialback light works good with his 6al box.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Purple440

The digital light we just bought seemed to read fairly accurate at idle.  I double checked it's readings based on markings we have and the total advance.  So when I advanced the distributer until the RPM's stopped going up it read 40+ degrees.  The valvetrain got really noisy too. 

Has anyone seen this high of initial timing?  Seems very strange to me.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on August 26, 2007, 10:37:12 AM
The digital light we just bought seemed to read fairly accurate at idle.  I double checked it's readings based on markings we have and the total advance.  So when I advanced the distributer until the RPM's stopped going up it read 40+ degrees.  The valvetrain got really noisy too. 

Has anyone seen this high of initial timing?  Seems very strange to me.

Doug, that does seem like waaaay to much base timing.  :o

Is the harmonic balancer old ? I ask because sometimes the rubber ring in the balancer will vulcanize over time casuing the outer ring to shift. When this happens your timing mark will move and trying to time the motor with a light becomes pointless. I would chck the indexing on the balancer and make sure that the timing mark is at zero when the motor is at TDC. Otherwise you'll be guessing at best.  :P

Ron

Purple440

I'll check that, thx for the tip...btw the motor only has about 6000 miles on it.

Thanks,

- Doug