News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project 68 R/T: Factory car or modified??

Started by Lee01, September 13, 2007, 09:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee01

So I'm planning in front the restoration of a 68 R/T.

So right now I'm puzzle.  Do I go original as it roll off the assemble line or tastefully modified.

Now after reading Mopar magazine, internet, forums, original car seem to be alot harder to built because of all the ''small'' details that can missed, casting number and all the color code and little thing that can turn a nice looking car into a over judged and ''somewhat bash'' because of all the anomaly and bringing the seller to questionable overall ability or lack of recsearch.

On the other side, a well modified car always attract ME the most, can by expensive as well but finding the right buyer can be a pain. Especially since its a real R/T

To say too, I will do ALL the work mysefl.

My last point, is yes the car will be for sale when done, can't tell when or how much, I simply can't kept a car when finished. I like to learn and play with them, them sell them in favor of something else. What I mean, I want to at least get event or do little bucks when selling the car.

So far I been though 40 + car of all kind (no joke)! From Corvette, trans Am, civic, American, import, RHD JDM car, turbo, Supercharged, RWD, AWD, 4X4 mostly all modified.....but my first Charger and something like this deserve to be done right like original or modified! Mopar as always been a dream to own!

I short word, Resell value between stock vs modified??   :rofl:

thanks
Current ride:
2012 Boss 302 YB #0664
2018 WRX
2018 Crosstrek
2004 SRT-4
WTB 68-69 Charger

Fitz73Chrgr

Well if you're going to resell the car, go original since it is an R/T.  A few minor modifications won't hurt the value too much though.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

suntech

I think you need to figure out what it will take to restore it back to original.  I am personally not into "numbers matching" and stuff like that. I like Pro Touring, and are going that direction. Mine is not an R/T, but it would not have affected my building ,if it was. My 383 must give way for a Hemi, and if it was a 440, it would have gone the same way. I see ads with things like "very rare color combo" and that should then affect(rise) the price. Things like that i dont get. I actually says that NOT many people wanted it like that when it was new, maybe because it was plain ugly, in the majoity´s taste!!  A tan car, with blue interior, and green vinyl roof might be a rare combo, but i guess for obvious reasons!! hehe. Bottom line is: it is your car, and do what you like, and if you do it right, you will always be able to sell it.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Joshua

I personally  like 'em modified, regardless of rarity, Factory Hemi car, etc....different wheels, engine mods, etc....except when guys change the factory dashes and insert a bunch of Autometer's on a plate, regardless of car, looks cheap......
However, if the car you have has some "desirable" options, ya may get more $$$ reselling car restored...
Building a modified car can cost as much or more than restoring....alot of factors involved... :Twocents:

Good luck with your decision.....tough call!   :hah::shruggy:

69bronzeT5

Since your selling it, go with stock since its an original 68 but dont be afraid to make some minor mods to it such as wheels, tires etc etc. Im going modified with mine. It was an original T5 69 318 with hubcaps...Im making it a silver 69 383 with Billet Magnum 500 wheels and a black RT stripe. :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Sweet T

Everyone will want to put in their two cents on this topic.  If I was alive in 1969 and was going into the dealership to order my charger I would not have ordered T7 with a tan top and I would have put the stripe on it.  So, since I am taking the car down to a shell I'll make it like I would have ordered it, but will keep the majority of items YEAR correct.  V2, stripe and RT emblems because it looks cool, and a black top. 
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!