News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Mexico Superbird Police Car?!

Started by TruckDriver, September 15, 2007, 06:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

I remember reading this a long time ago in one of the car magazines (Muscle Car Review if I remember right) about a Superbird that was confiscated by the New Mexico state patrol. Then they used the car as a unmarked police interceptor on the interstates. Supposedly, the car was so fast, they had to permanently fix the headlight covers in the open position cause they would pop open at high speeds. They did have a couple of pictures of the supposed car behind a century fence without the rear wing that was stolen off of it. Anyone remember this story?
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

nascarxx29

I recall a similar urban legend NM or AZ in a old newsletter .But it was about a hemi 500??
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

UFO

This story?

69_500

The story of the HEMI 500 is a hoax. It was a HEMI 500 that was painted up like a police car as a joke and then years later the picture surfaced only to be assumed that it was a real police car. The car that was painted is actually an A4 silver HEMI 500.

TruckDriver

UFO, I think that is it, but I can not quit read that small print. But as far as that picture, I have seen that pic before, and I do remember it being called the Blackbird :yesnod:
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

moparchris

The Superbird is not a hoax.  It is owned (or was) by Alan Geiger.  He also has an f8 Daytona that he is letting rot into the ground. :eek2:

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

TruckDriver

The last I heard the Superbird was just sitting rotting too ::) :'(
PETE

learical1

I remember a guy from New Mexico that had a SuperBird with a few extra 'doodads' welded to the nose.  He claimed they were motion picture camera mounts, and his 'Bird was the camera chase car for "Vanishing Point."  Anyone else familiar with the car?
Bruce

tan top

intresting story :yesnod: :popcrn:

i remember reading a story in a old  80s winged warriors  news letter , something about a police daytona , or a daytona own by a police officer , was in a big wreck  :scratchchin:  out in Arizona or Nevada , i think it was black ....   :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparchris

If I remember correctly, it was Mr. Geiger who stated he had the "Vanishing Point" camera car which he claimed was a Superbird.  He does have a wonderful hemi 4 speed Superbird that he cherishes which is nice to see.  It is Alpine white, white  interior pistol grip.  Its just a real bummer that he has so many other nice cars which are sitting outside slowly getting harder to bring back with each passing year.

learical1

When I saw 'Alan Geiger' and 'New Mexico' the decrepit brain cells were jumpstarted and I recalled the car.  I never saw any verification that it was a camera car.  But there were some funny looking 'ears' for attaching something to the nose of that 'Bird.
Bruce

THE CHARGER PUNK

Quote from: learical1 on September 17, 2007, 03:21:28 PM
When I saw 'Alan Geiger' and 'New Mexico' the decrepit brain cells were jumpstarted and I recalled the car. I never saw any verification that it was a camera car. But there were some funny looking 'ears' for attaching something to the nose of that 'Bird.

Yeah its called a ''push bar'' lol

moparchris

Bruce,
Do you remember the Hemi owners meet at Carl Harveys old shop on Washington St?  It must have been around 1976 or so.  DAve Andrews had his white 68 hemi Charger that you and your brother ended up with and Paul Crow ended up street racing his burgundy 68 hemi Charger on Central against a 68 GTO and he ate the GTO's lunch.  Any ways, Alan Geiger had his white hemi superbird at that meet, maybe you have some old pictures of it.  I told you guys I go back a long way.  Of course I was still in a diaper back then!!

learical1

Quote from: moparchris on September 18, 2007, 02:15:29 PM
Bruce,
Do you remember the Hemi owners meet at Carl Harveys old shop on Washington St?  It must have been around 1976 or so.  DAve Andrews had his white 68 hemi Charger that you and your brother ended up with and Paul Crow ended up street racing his burgundy 68 hemi Charger on Central against a 68 GTO and he ate the GTO's lunch.  Any ways, Alan Geiger had his white hemi superbird at that meet, maybe you have some old pictures of it.  I told you guys I go back a long way.  Of course I was still in a diaper back then!!

Thanks, I always need a reminder that I'll be 52 in a few months! 
I remember Roland Osborne calling me up and saying he needed a headlamp bezel for his 66/67 Hemi Belvedere.  I made a few phone calls and got one for him when he arrived for the meet.  He said it was better than the one he had for the other side.  I really need to look up Dave and Ricky Andrews, probably haven't seen them in 20 years.  Remember Mark Hopper with his 66 Hemi Charger and the Cuda?  My brother said he saw him on TV, he was a handwriting expert.  Let me know if you're going to be on the west side of Phoenix anytime soon,  I'll break out the photo albums.
Bruce

moparchris

Bruce,
I don't make out west to often.  I may try to get to the Bill Luke show on Oct 13, but it will be tough as we are getting on an airplane for a week long trip the next day.  If I can make it to the show I will let you know and maybe we can get together.

THE CHARGER PUNK

Found this huge picture of the blackbird and someone built a model of it(seems dead acurate cept for not having a white interior and not havin a column 727, but im not 1 to nit pick ;) lol), but the forum site he built it on is closed-MATT

69bronzeT5

THAT IS SOOOO COOL! :drool5: So what actually ever happened to the car?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

C_stripes

I was just reading this and I remembered something. As some of you know I help find, buy and sell cars for WWW.MUSCLECARPROJECTS.COM. We get allot of cars out of AZ, NM, UT, ID, and CA. I remember about three or four years back we were talking to a guy that we were buying a 70 challenger R/T from and he told us about a black super bird that had just been sold out of a wrecking yard a year or so before. We didn't really know to believe him as there was no such thing as black SB's from the factory.  Now I wish we could have been a year earlyer and checked it out.  Heck.  The 1970 V code ad Road Runner was found by us down there.     This is a cool story, I wish we knew more about the car and if it has been found.

Jeremy
   I'm not a fliper. I just like the hunt.           The money is nice though.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

C5X DAYTONA

Here is the Superbird in an E.V.O.C. training video as a fairly new car.   Same as posted in the above link.      Bird is from 19:50 through 22:50.    
http://youtu.be/HD2uj66f-c8
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

Cuda Hunter

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to throw this out there.
I own the blackbird wing.
It was installed on a 70 coronet R/T and then installed on my 67 barracuda. 
All my pics are too big.   

Does Alan Geiger still own the blackbird?   

426HemiChick

Quote from: learical1 on September 19, 2007, 08:01:45 AMThanks, I always need a reminder that I'll be 52 in a few months! 
I remember Roland Osborne calling me up and saying he needed a headlamp bezel for his 66/67 Hemi Belvedere.  I made a few phone calls and got one for him when he arrived for the meet.  He said it was better than the one he had for the other side.  I really need to look up Dave and Ricky Andrews, probably haven't seen them in 20 years.  Remember Mark Hopper with his 66 Hemi Charger and the Cuda?  My brother said he saw him on TV, he was a handwriting expert.  Let me know if you're going to be on the west side of Phoenix anytime soon,  I'll break out the photo albums.

Hi learical1,       07 may 2023

"Thanks, I always need a reminder that I'll be 52 in a few months!"

Don't feel too bad, I have 31 on you, and I feel it. Getting older is fun, until parts start wearing out and there are no bolt on replacements. Now, it's serious stuff.

Enjoy what you have. If you take care of it, it'll last a lifetime.

Best Always
426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Cuda Hunter

Since I can't post pictures here as I don't use a picture hosting website I just wanted to post a link to some pictures of the blackbird in a storage yard and a pic of the wing and the 70 Superbee that it was on in Arizona. 
I'm sure someone here will recognize the Superbee as it was for sale in the early 80's in Phoenix.  My good friend bought it. 
These pictures do not appear on this thread, of which is the only thread I can find on the net about the blackbird so I figured this was the appropriate place.  Just trying to add to the known history of this car. 

https://forum.e-bodies.org/e-body-stuff-found-on-ebay-craigslist-or-anywhere-else/20/nos-superbird-wing-going-cheap/15010/msg200601#msg200601

held1823

Quote from: Cuda Hunter on July 01, 2023, 09:42:03 AMSince I can't post pictures here as I don't use a picture hosting website

you don't need a host website. hit reply" instead of "quote". the attachment bar will then open for your post. upload it and then hit insert if you want more than a thumbnail to click on

xxxx.JPG
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053