News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New hood, what can I do about paint?

Started by Harlow, September 16, 2007, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

I've stumbled onto a 68 bulge hood for my satellite at a great price. The paint on my car is not very good, but not so bad that I can't live with it for a while. I would like to put the hood on, but is there anyway I can paint the hood and not have it look out of place with the rest of the car? Any suggestions.

69bronzeT5

I dont think you can make paint look worn out BUT what about painting the hood flat black? That will look pretty good?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Charger-Bodie

id just paint it, it will look a little diferant than the rest of the car but oh well for now! .... also are you absolutley sure that the hood is a 68 cause there are a few minor diffs. 1 being the hood latch striker is in a little bit differant location, it can be made to work but will require some mod.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

OttawaCharger

I'm with bronze on this one.  If you try and match the paint it won't look right.  If you go for flat black it'll look like it belongs there and no one will know that it was a late addition.
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

Harlow

Quote from: 1hot68 on September 16, 2007, 07:52:49 PM
id just paint it, it will look a little diferant than the rest of the car but oh well for now! .... also are you absolutley sure that the hood is a 68 cause there are a few minor diffs. 1 being the hood latch striker is in a little bit differant location, it can be made to work but will require some mod.

Well its actually a 69 hood. I know the actual bulges and inserts are different for the two years, but its going on a satellite so its not really correct anyways, and most people won't even know. I just figured I wouldn't tell any one  :icon_smile_big: What will I need to modify to get it to work? I'm thinking I might just paint it white myself, and try to use the opportunity to learn something.   

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Harlow on September 16, 2007, 09:53:11 PM
Quote from: 1hot68 on September 16, 2007, 07:52:49 PM

Well its actually a 69 hood. I know the actual bulges and inserts are different for the two years, but its going on a satellite so its not really correct anyways, and most people won't even know. I just figured I wouldn't tell any one  :icon_smile_big: What will I need to modify to get it to work? I'm thinking I might just paint it white myself, and try to use the opportunity to learn something.   
the latch is over just a little to one side more in 69 youll just have too stick it on and go from there.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on September 16, 2007, 05:55:00 PM
I dont think you can make paint look worn out BUT what about painting the hood flat black? That will look pretty good?

I think there is a way to make paint look worn.  When I was 16 I worked as a porter at a body shop, and when a car came in with faded paint, there was something they did to the paint on the new panels to make it match the car better.  I don't think it was ever a perfect match, but it was better than just putting a glossy fender on a faded car.  Couldn't tell you what they did though, hopefully a body guy will chime in.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Harlow

I'm starting to think it might look alright painted. The paint isn't really faded its just got scratches and chips in it. I think if I polish the fenders well it should look pretty decent.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Harlow on September 17, 2007, 07:54:21 PM
I'm starting to think it might look alright painted. The paint isn't really faded its just got scratches and chips in it. I think if I polish the fenders well it should look pretty decent.
if the color is close that will be a good plan you have there!

hemi-hampton

If you want new paint to match dull faded oxidized paint you have to ad a Flattening agent. I've done this but advise against it, Because some day when it does get rubbed good luck with the flattened paint :hah: LEON.