News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I broke something in the 383!

Started by Dr. V, September 26, 2005, 10:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. V

I took the car out to test the tranny adjustments that were made last week.  The tranny ran great, I backed into the garage and had a bad leak.  There was motor oil pouring out of the dust shield on the front of the 727.  I lost 2 qts in 3 miles.  The oil press stayed ok.  I am constantly looking at that guage.  Everything was just rebuilt in april.   My guess is the rear main.  Any other guesses before it hits the lift. :'( :'( :'(

firefighter3931

Sorry to hear about the oil leakage DrV...sure sounds like the rear main seal. 2qts in 3 miles is a lot of oil   :o....given the location it's pretty obvious where it's coming from.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

andy74

time to get dirty doc! its a bitch alright,but its gotta be the rear seal-andy

Dr. V

Is there any way to replace it w/o dropping the tranny? :P  Through the oil pan maybe.

cudaken

2 quarts in 3 miles is a lot for a bad real seal. Might check the rear oil plugs. I have had a few bad rear seals not never lost that kind of oil. Check the top rear of the 383, make sure oil pressuer sending unit is not leaking as well.

Oil plugs I am speaking off are on the back of the block behinde the tran's.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Chryco Psycho

could be the oil sender on top of the rear fo the block also , you do not need to drop the trans , just drop the oil pan & seal plate out , you may have to loosen the main caps to slide a new upper seal into place , make sure you put a small amount of silicone between the seal plate & block when reinstalling the plate , use Ultra Black , blue or copper , they have better oil resistance

Dr. V

Oil Sending Unit!   Wow does that sucker pump some oil.  The copper line (that is only 5 mos old) had a hole wore in it.  It was rubbing on the back of the intake when the motor moved.   Thanks for the help guys.   

cudaken

Yep, thought you find something like that. When you repair the line, slide a rubber line over the line and see if there is a way to mount the line away from rub points.

Also one of the reason's I use electric gauges now. Lost a oil pressuer line on the inside of my 68 Runner, talk about somethig that blew! Plus it was hot as well.

Cuda Ken
I am back

max

use copper line between your block fitting and the sending unit, leave alittle extra line so it can move alittle and where it goes through the firewall use a small piece of rubber hose.

good thing it was on the outside of the car, i have heard horror stories of plastic lines breaking on the inside of the car and guys getting a really hot shower plus the mess that is left behind.

cudaken

A steel line woul be better than copper, braid steel would be the best. Copper is easy to bend but very not hard. Braid steel line would be great, bend's with no effort but cost more.

Cuda Ken

I am back

max

Quote from: cudaken on September 28, 2005, 05:36:17 PM
  A steel line woul be better than copper, braid steel would be the best. Copper is easy to bend but very not hard. Braid steel line would be great, bend's with no effort but cost more.

Cuda Ken

good info, i didn't even know that they made braided steel for oil pressure lines.

cudaken

Max, they don't, you do. ;D With the right fittings you can make one. I would still use rubber hose on possible contack points. I have ran braied stanless steel line on by 68 Runner for 24 years, where the heater hoses over lap they wore threw. Took 50,000 miles but did ware out.

Cuda Ken
I am back