News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help ASAP

Started by Headrope, September 18, 2005, 10:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headrope

Sorry to intentionally post an electrical question on the general board, but I've spend the kpast 12 hours putting in my motor, trans, etc which took me 3 months to rebuild, get parts for ... you know the routine.

I'm down to electircal issues now and the car is fighting me. I have a '66 Charger with a 383 and standard, vacuum advance distributor, with a Pertronix chip in it (no points). There are two leads coming off the distributor now (one black, one white). Which goes to which post on the coil?

My buddy and I have tried both ways (black on pos; white on neg AND blak on neg; white on pos) and still have no spark. The starter works, headlights work, radio works, engine turns over ... just no spark when we try to "arc' the number one plug against the block.

Please help me prove to my wife that 12-hours spent on the car with my buddy instead of in the sack with her was a good choice. (Yes, I meant to type that. I'm that tired - and desperate - to start the freaking car.) :yesnod:
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

KMPX2

I am not sure but I hope you did not burn it up when you flip floped the wires

89MOPAR

Uggh, I put a Pertronix kit in a 70 Cougar and didn't think the results were all that great.
If you're ballast resistor is blown it won't give spark.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

MoparYoungGun

I would also check your ballast resistor. Also, just a suggestion but I would check your igniton too. My Uncle had his brand new MP unit crap out on him. Good luck!

Headrope

The ignition system on my car is comprised of the battery, starter relay, ignition switch, voltage regulator, ballast resistor, coil, distributor and Pertronix chip (pretty sure that's it) - all of which are brand new.

I'm starting to think that the previous owner may have rewired the car and I didn't notice the difference - until I tried to hook everything up by the book.

If one of the mods would be so kind as to move this to the electrical board I'll sort it out there.

Chryco Psycho

generally hooking to power lead to the + terminal on the coil works poorly or not at all as the Pertronics needs 12v feed & the coil gets 8v or less , you need to hook the white wire to 12v at the ballast ro voltage regulator 

Headrope

Makes sense. I'll give it a go.
Much thanks.

Wakko

Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Headrope

Yep - but because I put points into it.

The ballast resistor was fine, and the Pertronix chip worked fine, according to some pros I had check it out. The problem, as they put it, is that there is a plastic sleave that goes onto the shaft before the rotor does. I didn't have the plastic piece on there.

I did finally hear back from Pertronix. They sent me an instruction manual. The white wire is supposedly red, according to them. Chryco - as almost always - was right.