News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So what file sharing program do you use nowadays?

Started by Afflyer, September 27, 2005, 12:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afflyer

???  It's been quite a while since I swapped music files.  I had Napster before they got into hot water.  Then I had Kazaa, which was really great.  I dropped my DSL line and gave up Kazaa a few years ago.  Now that I have DSL again, what's out there?  Are there any that are for free and that are pretty much virus and spyware free?

I'd like to build up my music and video collection here again.  What do you guys use?

Bradley  :icon_smile_approve:
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Arthu®

Since it is illegal to do this, I would never do it, but if I would I would use Shareaza....

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

TruckDriver

I use the free version of BearShare. But if you download it, be sure to run a anti-spyware program BEFORE you run it for the 1st time. Then when you do run it, DO NOT select the upgrade option that it asks you every time you shut if off & or start it up. Other then that, I like it a lot better then what Kazza was.

http://www.bearshare.com/
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

MoparYoungGun

I had Kazza a while back but even though I would run virus/spyware programs I still ended up getting a virus. I deleted and uninstalled it and really haven't used anything since. If I was too use another program, I would use BearShare.

Mefirst

Limewire is ok to... http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml

Like with Bearshare.. When you install the LimeWire NON Pro version a pop-up will ask you to upgrade to the Pro version, do not click "Yes", just click the button that says "Later"..

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Arthu®

Shareaza also uses the same server as LimeWire is on. As well as several others.

Arthur

BobH1968

I know a "friend" who used Shareaza for a while.....but peer to peer sharing gives you a bunch of spywhare you can't defeat.  The only thing you can do is download a bunch of stuff, back it all up than wipe your computer completely and reinstall the os to get rid of the spyware.i

JimShine

Someone told me that WinMX is the way to go. Look around for patches to get it up and running again. I hear it works even though the official servers are gone.

Arthu®

Quote from: BobH1968 on September 27, 2005, 11:11:26 AM
I know a "friend" who used Shareaza for a while.....but peer to peer sharing gives you a bunch of spywhare you can't defeat.   The only thing you can do is download a bunch of stuff, back it all up than wipe your computer completely and reinstall the os to get rid of the spyware.i

But that is with all the program's discussed here. That is the price you will have to pay for doing the illegal way. Because if you want quality music, without any hitches and no spyware or virusses. I suggest Apple Itunes.

Arthur

Ponch ®

Quote from: JimShine on September 27, 2005, 11:48:24 AM
Someone told me that WinMX is the way to go. Look around for patches to get it up and running again. I hear it works even though the official servers are gone.

WinMX is has been shut down for a week or so (they were named in some litigation). If I were a downloader, i'd be using shareaza   . It's pretty clean (no spyware) and like Arthur said, it connects to limewire, gnutella and edonkey.

having said that, file sharing is illegal and I do not condone such activities.   ;)
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

69bananabeast

1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

JimShine

Quote from: Mojo Classic ® on September 27, 2005, 01:33:33 PM
Quote from: JimShine on September 27, 2005, 11:48:24 AM

WinMX is has been shut down for a week or so (they were named in some litigation). If I were a downloader, i'd be using shareaza   . It's pretty clean (no spyware) and like Arthur said, it connects to limewire, gnutella and edonkey.

having said that, file sharing is illegal and I do not condone such activities.   ;)

With a patch WinMX is still very much alive and well.

Headrope

The act of transferring and sharing files is legal.
Downloading songs and videos in violation of copyright laws is not.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

zstalker

it's all about DC++ (stands for Direct Connect...kind of appropraiate for a mopar group, eh?).  KaZaa and many oter sharing programs are routed through public, company owned servers, so anyone can look through them and deem if what you're sharing is "OK" or not.  DC servers (a few hundred) are all private computers, generally just some dude in Sweeden or wherever that has an extra computer and a fast connection, and as such, can't be searched by law enforcement without a warrant.  (After using KaZaa Lite for a while, I got a letter from Comcast saying if I didn't discontinue sharing "non-kosher" material, I would have my service shut off)  DC has a HUGE user base, and FAR more variety of what you can find than I've ever seen elsewhere.  I wouldn't use anything else...
http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/
This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.
I was wrong.
This changes everything.

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Stormhammer

pfft

I-Mesh

or how about torrents? Download BitComet or BitLord and then visit sites like isohunt.com and you can just download an entire album and such  :yesnod:

Afflyer

I've downloaded limewire.  Seems to work pretty slow, though.  And I've got DSL too!
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

BigBlockSam

i use win mx, but i haven't been able to get on. whats this patch you guys are talking about
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Andrew

I have a "friend who uses shareaza, but I havnt he hasnt been using it much lately because he has all the songs he needs.

Ponch ®

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 01, 2005, 11:09:45 AM
i use win mx, but i haven't been able to get on. whats this patch you guys are talking about

winmx has been down for a couple of weeks. they were named in some lawsuit at about the same time it went offline. even winmx.com is inaccessible.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

purple70rt

Andrew

My friend is wondering if anyone else is having trouble with shareaza.

For some reason its not searching properly.

SirNik73

I stoped using file sharing programs.

I use www.isohunt.com for torrent search and then use BitTornado
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

Stormhammer

yup - got another torrentor - trust me - ditch the filesharing and get the torrent loaders - its faster to download an entire album then to download song by song  :yesnod:

and entire movies, they're up and going about 99% of the time

Ponch ®

Quote from: andrew on October 03, 2005, 07:47:36 AM
My friend is wondering if anyone else is having trouble with shareaza.

For some reason its not searching properly.

yeah, i dont know what the deal is with it. sometimes ill type in the artist or song im looking for, then ill click search and get nothing. then i click search again a couple of times and i get a bunch results. kinda hit or miss with it, but when its working right the downloads are incredibly fast.

purple70rt

Are torrents illegal and do the have spyware?  Can I burn dvd's and CD's off the torrent fles??

Andrew