News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 440 engine question

Started by 01MOPAR, October 02, 2007, 02:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

01MOPAR

I just bought a  1973 chrysler new yorker with a 440 4 bbl in it? I pretty much bought the car for the drive train but it runs and drives, what was the factory hp in 1973?  Is a 1973 440 engine a good engine to build? Also is their any disadvantages to having a cast crank shaft?

01MOPAR

lazarus

My '73 440 is a steel crank motor.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 01MOPAR on October 02, 2007, 02:36:07 PM
  Is a 1973 440 engine a good engine to build? Also is their any disadvantages to having a cast crank shaft?

The 73 440 engine is fine to build. If you're looking for a street type combo in the 450hp or less range the cast crank is fine. The biggest stumbling block is the low compression pistons but that is easily remedied with a set of Speedpro 2355 forged pistons. As mentioned above, some 73 motors came with a forged crank so check yours to make sure of what you've got. The harmonic balancer is the easiest way to tell them apart....short of tearing the block down.

Here's a pic to help you identify
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

jg68

01MOPAR

Its a cast crank shaft ,no hp markings  on the id pad . j 440  stands for 1973.

John_Kunkel

The lack of HP markings doesn't mean it has a cast crank, the standard performance could have either cast or forged at random. An E on the data pad means cast crank, if there is no E it left the plant with a forged crank.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

01MOPAR

it has the bigger balancer so its cast.

chargerbr549

To add to what firefighter said on running Speedpro 2355 pistons I see in the book they list two different versions of that piston, the regular one that's kind of heavy and has 5/64 rings and they have a lightweight version that is about 50 grams lighter and runs the 1/16 rings and look to be about the same price. We have balanced several 440s lately in our shop and with the regular 2355 piston the bobweights get so heavy it's a little bit of work to balance them out, I am thinking maybe next time to give the lightweight version a try.

Firefighter what's your thoughts on that?

Kevin