News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

stock seats or aftermartket (different) seats????

Started by HITMAN 149, October 06, 2007, 11:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

should i re-do my stock seats or scope out aftermarket/different seats??

black w/ black pleats (stock)
0 (0%)
black w/ dark gray pleats (stock)
8 (72.7%)
aftermarket/ different seats
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: October 09, 2007, 11:48:57 AM

HITMAN 149

hey guys.... :cheers:
i was just curious what you're thought's were??  i was debating on re-doing my stock seats (68  R/T) black OR black w/ dark gray pleats (the dark gray pleats are very subtle, not a big diff from the plain black one's)... or going with different seats?? there is a set of seats i came across that i like..they are all leather and they are recaro style.
as some (most) of you already know... i have a 68 R/T (auto console car) but it is not original by far... and i don't have nearly the coin to put it back to factory original rotisserie specs...and as I'm not a factory type of guy anyways!!!  it's not even a thought!!!(sorry to all the purist's!! LOL) "please forgive me...for i have sinned!!!!"   :yesnod:
I'm going to make the car a resto / mod / pro tourer... yes you all know I LOVE MIKE"S car!!! (pete's too...even though it's a 69'!!  :nana:)  I'm going with black paint and a dark gray tail stripe, and similar size wheels.  i won't be road racing the car like mike does..just looking for a nice street car!!!  I'm not too crazy about some of the racing seats that i have seen... but i came across these seats & like the shape of them and thought they might look nice in the car!!??...HMMMM??? :scratchchin: ???  i would still save my orig seats...just not re-cover them at this time....only the backs.
thanks!!!
:popcrn:
-JOHN
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Ghoste

Myself I really like the look of the stock seats and one of the things I especially like about the 68 interior are the contrasting pleats you could order.

JrJohnston

What ever seat you use,are you going to stay with the black and charcoal grey theme?
How long of road trip's you gonna take it on?
What seat is more comfortable for you?
Which set of Bucket's is going to cheaper to recover the way you want them?

These are a few thing you need to figure out first,not tring to be a d!ck justtring to save you time a frustration.I have been down this road with a customer,spent 6 week's waiting on him to make up his mind on what seat's he wanted to go with in his 65 Dodge truck,he would find and buy a set and bring them in and I would mock them up and after he sat in them he hated them.Went through this for 6 week's and he finally desided on a set out of a 99 Pontiac SunBird.
  I do have pictures of a set of Mitis.300 GT seat's that I did for a 70 Charger on our shop's myspace,they are done out of Black simulated leather and red(insert's)simulated leather with red stitching.Your more than welcome to take a look and see what you think,and they might give you some ideas on what you want to do.    www.myspace.com/scbautotrim
Junior Johnston
SCB AutoTrim
2565 B W. Bennett
Springfield,Mo 65807
417-869-7700
www.scbautotrim-mo.com
www.myspace.com/scbautotrim

HITMAN 149

hey jr...
yes definatley going with black or blak & gray..undecided yet?? most likely not gonna drive it across counrty like MIKE!! (lucky bastard!!! LOL)
well i went to a junkyard earlier... and (AMAZINGLEY) found them in a junked car!!!! wow!!! so after moving 1/2 of another car out of that one... i was able to sit in them...they were contouring & comfy...kept you in place (i guess they are supposed to uh?!?! LOL)
tooooo bad the driver seat was busted up (the mechanics) the pass seat was in really nice working shape!! (wrong color ...but no biggie..just re-cover them right!!! hahaha) all in all they would prob be both in the same ballpark to either re-do my stock seats (front & rear)  or find a beat up pair if the racing seats & re-do them.... or just buy a really nice already re-done set!!! i figure... not much opf a difference between either options!?!?!? maybe $100 more if i get the racing seats already done... cause then i would still have to get covers for my back seat!
but not a decision breaker..the way i see it. the guy at the junkyard wanted $75 for the pair.... i would keep the pass seat (re-doo it) and try & sell the drivers seat to re-coup.... then just look for another good drivers seat.. and re-doo that if needed?!?!? just time consuming!!!
so there's that!!!!!!!
LOL!!!!!!
don't forget... vote early & vote often!!! (opps only 1 to a customer!! LOL)
:cheers:
-JOHN
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

JrJohnston

How bad is the Driver seat busted up?Is it just the recline/rear entry mech.that is broken? If it is just that,buy the seat's and go to the dealer and buy the recline mech.,and be done with it.$75.00 aint bad for a set of bucket's,the last set I sold I got $125.00 out of,plus the price of me recovering them.
Junior Johnston
SCB AutoTrim
2565 B W. Bennett
Springfield,Mo 65807
417-869-7700
www.scbautotrim-mo.com

HITMAN 149

cmon you bastards!!!! :icon_smile_blackeye: LOL
10 people voted and i've only got comments from 2 guys!?!?!? :shruggy:
:cheers: here's some beer to cheer!!!!!!!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

NYCMille

Totally depends on what you want to do dude. If your into stock driving well then a stock seat will be fine... if you do more spirited driving then the stock seats are garbage. I think that Pete (autodynamics) had a great idea when he took his Corbeau seats and recovered them to match the stock interior... not only did it look fantastic but they are nice performance oriented seat that really enhanced the interior of the car. :Twocents:

HITMAN 149

dude... what's up mike??  :cheers: "beer???,...it's 8:00 in the morning!?!?!... scotch?!?!?!?"
yea i've no plans to race my car like you do... just looking to update it & be different i guess...sorta a low budget kinda custom!!! hahaha sema look out!!!! LOL just looking for a different effect... and like i said i'm not gonna get rid of my stock seats or anything i'm taking / changing out of the car.  i'm just curious what the general public thought. i'm up in the air??? ::) but they more i look at em...i'm thinkin i might pull the trigger!?!?!?
later!!!!!!
i'm gonna call & bust my buddy's chops.... he said a week &  a half ago.... "another week or two"!?!?!? 
:2thumbs: should be close!!!!!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

terrible one

Aren't the '68 and '69 seats supposed to be really uncomfortable? '70 buckets! Or if you don't like spending money on broken shit then spending money to fix it, get the aftermarket set and be done!

69bronzeT5

Quote from: NYCMille on October 08, 2007, 09:49:06 AM
Totally depends on what you want to do dude. If your into stock driving well then a stock seat will be fine... if you do more spirited driving then the stock seats are garbage.

:yesnod: I agree
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bill440rt

Wanna take a guess how I voted?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

HITMAN 149

hmmmmmm  :scratchchin: found another set of nice manual seats that look good!!!.
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Arkgl01

you have to tell me what those seats last seats are... those would look awesome in a charger!
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

HITMAN 149

gimme a dollar!!!!!
ohhh sure then you can go & scooop up my seats!!!!!!!
i'm sure there are more than enough to go around!! (i hope???)
02-05?? acura rsx seats. they looook comfy!!! mmmmmmmmmmmm :icon_smile_big:
yea they do look nice!! i'm debating on those or the ones at the top of the post?!?!?!?
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Charger-Bodie

if yore gonna go aftermarket id go with the first set you posted cause they dont have side airbags in them like the rsx seats you have shown.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

HITMAN 149

hey hot.....(love your 68!!!)
the airbags can either be taken out??? or since they won't be hooked up to any power (the seats are manual) they won't matter??? will they??? the first set of seats are from the 80's-92ish, the second set are alot newer... 01-05 or so!!! and look alot more comfy.. funny cause they are about the same price.!?!?!?!?

why couldn't you be closer to jersey.... so you could do my car!!!!!!! LOL
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on October 09, 2007, 03:34:59 PM
hey hot.....(love your 68!!!)
the airbags can either be taken out??? or since they won't be hooked up to any power (the seats are manual) they won't matter??? will they??? the first set of seats are from the 80's-92ish, the second set are alot newer... 01-05 or so!!! and look alot more comfy.. funny cause they are about the same price.!?!?!?!?

why couldn't you be closer to jersey.... so you could do my car!!!!!!! LOL
i personnally wouldnt be able to look at the airbag when i get in the car...but if you had an upholstery shop take it out then id prefer the rsx seat. :D oh and also, ive done cars that have been hauled alot futher than jersey
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

HITMAN 149

i'm not gonna hook it up to any power or anything... so the airbag would be dead..since there wouldn't be any power going to the sensor???
i can understand about that lil hatch there though... but tose seats are NICE!!!!!!!

yea i'm sure cars have come to you from allll over..especially the work & the turn around time on the 68!!!!  :cheers: :2thumbs:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on October 09, 2007, 04:08:45 PM
i'm not gonna hook it up to any power or anything... so the airbag would be dead..since there wouldn't be any power going to the sensor???
i can understand about that lil hatch there though... but tose seats are NICE!!!!!!!

yea i'm sure cars have come to you from allll over..especially the work & the turn around time on the 68!!!!  :cheers: :2thumbs:
turn around isnt generally that quick i just go nuts when i have a started project of my own!!

HITMAN 149

OHHH i see how it is!! sure put my project on the back burner,....so you can get your project done!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!! hahaha
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Upholstery guy

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on October 09, 2007, 04:08:45 PM

If you got any car or truck seats with air bags that you can't use because your vehicle didn't come with air bags you could take them out plug the hole and sell them on Ebay for something  :2thumbs:   You Have PM Hitman!

HITMAN 149

lee...
i was told that you can't take the airbags out of the (or those rsx) seats??? also i got a bead on a set of 2004 39K mile seats from a slavage yard @80 mi from me for decent coin!!!!!!  ;)  gonna scope em out this weekend!! i still like the older recaro one's too though?!?!?!?

:shruggy: do you or anyone... think the square recaro's (pics above of both seats) would look better OR the RSX (remind me of 70 high back's) seats???  :popcrn:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Upholstery guy

I know that air bags in steering wheels where being stolen from new cars and sold, they must have made the air bags in the seats a unit that can't be taken without taking the whole seat.

I think both seats would look good in the car, but those RSX seats are more shapely like the charger's body lines, that's why the 300ZX seats are in Phat's car there shapely like the car.

HITMAN 149

i do like the rsx seats!! look nice & comfy!!!!!!! those beeemer seats are hard to find & $$$$ too!!!!!!!  i found a couple sets.. online but then add like minimum $100 for shipping & then do re-do them in black!!!!! ends up being about $500!!! agggh!!!
i can get the RSX seats for about $325 or so, and just drop them in & DONE!!!!!! (then just have to get my back seat re-covered!!)
:2thumbs:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

JrJohnston

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on October 12, 2007, 02:13:31 AM
lee...
i was told that you can't take the airbags out of the (or those rsx) seats??? also i got a bead on a set of 2004 39K mile seats from a slavage yard @80 mi from me for decent coin!!!!!!  ;)  gonna scope em out this weekend!! i still like the older recaro one's too though?!?!?!?

:shruggy: do you or anyone... think the square recaro's (pics above of both seats) would look better OR the RSX (remind me of 70 high back's) seats???  :popcrn:

They do come out,I have 4 of them laying around the shop right now that have been deployed.If they deploy while in a wreck you would have to replace the lean back frame to fix the airbags.
Junior Johnston
SCB AutoTrim
2565 B W. Bennett
Springfield,Mo 65807
417-869-7700
www.scbautotrim-mo.com

HITMAN 149

:2thumbs:
well i picked up the R/T's new seats today!!!  2004 ACURA RSX (39k mile car) BLACK LEATHER SEATS!! (PICS are of the same seats... just not my actual seats.. as they are allll wrapped up nice & warm in the garage!!! LOL!) found them local.. (well if  you consider a 200 mile round trip local?!?!? ) well i saved my self about $150 shipping for what i have seen as an average... on the plus side i got to see them in person and make sure they were in good shape!!!! 

I also found a set of the BMW E30 recaro seats that i liked also.. at another place while i was in the area...(killed 2 birds with 1 stone!! hehe!) so i'll take them also... pick them up on monday (nice price on those as well!!!  :yesnod:)  they need a lil work... then i'll see if anyone is interested!?!?!?!?  they seem to be in demand.. as they are hard to find!?!?!?! (1984-1992 3 series beeeeemers.)
mua-hahahaha
01 BMW 740i SPORT