News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 BULLITT Chargers...

Started by GeneralLeeTESH, October 07, 2007, 11:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneralLeeTESH

What ever happened to the 4 they used/smashed up in the 1968 movie Bulitt ? :icon_smile_question:
The TESH

Ghoste

This question seems to come up from time to time and I've seen varying opinions on what happened to the Bullitt Chargers but the most commonly held version seems to be that they are no more.

70charger_boy

I thought there were only 2 of them purchased.  One was a 4 spd and the other an automatic.  One was destroyed and the other is somewhere

Ghoste

I thought it was two automatics and they were both destroyed doing different movies.  :shruggy:

chargerrt

Quote from: Ghoste on October 07, 2007, 11:19:51 AM
I thought it was two automatics and they were both destroyed doing different movies.  :shruggy:

It couldn't be two automatics.  You can see the guy shifting gears in the chase scene.

70charger_boy

Quote from: Ghoste on October 07, 2007, 11:19:51 AM

I'm pretty sure it was 1 and 1.  The 4 spd was the one that was on fire at the end of the chase scene.  I'm still searching for one of the posts I made way way back on this.  I know that one of the mustangs is still around

Ghoste

Yep, in fact Mustang Monthly recently had an article on it.  They had tracked it down it down to the current owner but as far as either of the Chargers surviving, I have never seen hard proof just urban legend.  Someone had once claimed that the Charger destroyed in DMCL was the 2nd Bullitt Charger but I have slowed that scene down and watched it frame by frame and I am absolutely sure they blow up a 69 at the end.  They DID use a 68 in DMCL and that COULD be one of the Bullitt cars but I think more likely they were both totaled as extras in some more obscure flick.  :Twocents:

TruckDriver

I heard a abscure rumor a long time ago that it died in a jump for the "Dukes" tv show.  :shruggy: 

I also used to subscribe to the old magazine "Muscle Car Review". And they once did a article on the movie and they said that one of the cars WAS out there, but it's where abouts was unknown.

Read this article... If you scroll down there is a second, third & forth page. Near the end of the story, the author even says the second one just "faded into history."

http://books.google.com/books?id=nAORx03oRqkC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=bullitt+1968+chargers&source=web&ots=uwraZSzMA4&sig=4-QvUEmOpVTm7XNJkNRc4Mmnj64#PPA39,M1
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

70charger_boy

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on October 07, 2007, 12:13:13 PM
I heard a abscure rumor a long time ago that it died in a jump for the "Dukes" tv show.  :shruggy: 

Actually, that is what I was going to say.  Bullitt was made by Warner bros and the 2 Chargers bought were paid for without any promotional consideration.  After the movie release sales for Chargers and Mustangs increased. 

When the DOH came out they went with the charger.  They shopped around for many cars, but felt that the Charger was the best one.  It is highly likely that Warner Bros used the Bullitt car as a DOH car.

triple_green

All the articles I have read say this. Two identical cars ordered with no promotional consideration from a sububan LA dealership. Both cars 4-speeds. 1st destroyed in the chase scenes and final scene. Second one destroyed at the studio's request in order to avoid any liability for the modification and hard use.

I've never seen a verifiable source that says any have survived.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

70charger_boy

Quote from: triple_green on October 07, 2007, 03:26:32 PM
All the articles I have read say this. Two identical cars ordered with no promotional consideration from a sububan LA dealership. Both cars 4-speeds. 1st destroyed in the chase scenes and final scene. Second one destroyed at the studio's request in order to avoid any liability for the modification and hard use.

I've never seen a verifiable source that says any have survived.

3X

That article is suspect.  Insiders of the movie have proven it was one automatic and one standard.  I recall someone saying one was a hemi yada yada yada

paironines

The original Cannonball?  movie with that Kung Foo guy had a triple black 68 Charger with some weird gold stripe painted on. Noone ever talks about that car.

Mean 318

I think it is safe to say that odds are it is either toasted, in a junk yard, or been changed and no one will ever know what it was... not to say one day it will pop out, but i doubt it at his point! Any rumors as to where the DMCL chargers ended up?

70charger_boy

I know that the DMCL car crash scene is in the opening credits of Fall Guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NGqwxz1S-k

1:13  oh, and check out Heather Thomas  :drool5:

TruckDriver

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 07, 2007, 06:08:01 PM

She was nice, but Heather Locklear wes WAY hotter :drool5:
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

70charger_boy

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on October 07, 2007, 06:29:43 PM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 07, 2007, 06:08:01 PM

She was nice, but Heather Locklear wes WAY hotter :drool5:

:slap:  No way, but in all fairness to you I will do my homework and post it on the youtube thread and dc.com members can judge.  It's like Ginger and Maryanne.  There is no wrong answer

fc7_plumcrazy

Hi,

I once visited Jerry Juenermann in Hays, Kansas around 10 years ago. He had a shop/museum called wheels&spokes.
He owned (or still does) the 1970 FC7 v-code Charger which was turned into a Daytona.
He showed me pics of a black 68 Charger 383, automatic and he told me that was the second car which was used for filming in bullitt even though it wasn't shown in the fim. At least he bought it from warner according to him

Carsten

GeneralLeeTESH

I read in a Mustang Monthly article 2 years ago that the 2 Chargers had to be de-tuned cause they were so FAST ! I was a Mustang guy-till Ford started suing everyone for using the trademarked name "Mustang" in their business name ! SO- I converted and VOWED to built a HEMI car ! Alan Mulally-can U H E M I now ???
:Twocents: :scratchchin:
The TESH

70charger_boy

Quote from: fc7_plumcrazy on October 07, 2007, 06:44:58 PM
Hi,

I once visited Jerry Juenermann in Hays, Kansas around 10 years ago. He had a shop/museum called wheels&spokes.
He owned (or still does) the 1970 FC7 v-code Charger which was turned into a Daytona.
He showed me pics of a black 68 Charger 383, automatic and he told me that was the second car which was used for filming in bullitt even though it wasn't shown in the fim. At least he bought it from warner according to him

Carsten

The Bullitt cars were R/T's too the best of my knowledge.  So, a 383 is out of the question

GeneralLeeTESH

ook here:
http://www.hottr6.com/triumph/BULLITT.html
ALSO- I have hard evidence HERE that the man Bill Hickman, who drove the Charger-really IS our team driver "FISH Tesh" !!! :scratchchin:
The TESH

Khyron

Quote from: Mean 318 on October 07, 2007, 05:50:42 PM
Any rumors as to where the DMCL chargers ended up?

I'll hunt down the article. but this is what I heard, and some of this was from the director. DMCL had a low budget and had only 3 Chargers. A regular 69, a 69 R/T and a 68.

Rumor has it all 3 are gone. The 68 was smashed up pretty good and was junked after the movie, the Regular 69 was smashed with a train then blown up, and after the movie was done the R/T was sold to a production member and was totalled in a car accident. again, I'll hunt down the article. Some of the story's could be heard on the DVD with the commentary on.

Little trivia. Because of the low budget, some of the Chargers where used as camera cars. You can see some of the swirl marks on the roofs from mounting the cameras. Also, in the scene when they are driving through town the camera pans from the back of the Charger to a side view of Fonda. you can see the reflection of the other Charger in the side view mirror and quarter glass.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

TruckDriver

Quote from: GeneralLeeTESH on October 07, 2007, 06:56:18 PM
I read in a Mustang Monthly article 2 years ago that the 2 Chargers had to be de-tuned cause they were so FAST !

I heard that too a few times :lol:
PETE

70charger_boy

hemigeno

fc7_plumcrazy

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 07, 2007, 07:01:42 PM
Quote from: fc7_plumcrazy on October 07, 2007, 06:44:58 PM
Hi,

Carsten

The Bullitt cars were R/T's too the best of my knowledge.  So, a 383 is out of the question

Hi,

according to what I have heared the major car was an R/T with a 4-speed even though the MCR article from 87 says it different in one point.
The Bullitt DVD has some extra material about the fiming. In one of the scenes you can see a black 68 Charger from the back with the RDR-liscense plate. There is a camera installed in the trunk (or even a guy sitting in their? Don't remember exactly out of my head, would have to watch again). It was not a regular film sequence just from the "making of". But what I noticed for sure was that this specific Charger did not have the RT-emblem behind the Charger emblem in the back.

So if one of the cars was not an RT it was possible it came with a 383/auto combo
Even though the car was never used in the film itself.

Carsten

C_stripes

I want to watch bullitt now.   Or dmcl.  I bet these cars plus the VP challengers all had the same fate.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

HITMAN 149

ok...
i remember reading that someone from the production crew bought one of the 68's... and it's still sittin somewhere???  :shruggy:
:popcrn:
"I read in a Mustang Monthly article 2 years ago that the 2 Chargers had to be de-tuned cause they were so FAST !"
oh yea and also that's why the r/t has such wimpy tires & stupid hubcaps (all nine of them that fly off during the movie!!! LOL) i read that mcqueen was pissed the charger was soooo much faster than the stang!!!???
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

69bronzeT5

Quote from: C_stripes on October 07, 2007, 09:34:01 PM
VP challengers all had the same fate.

What happened to the VP Chargers?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

JimShine

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 07, 2007, 03:11:11 PM
Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on October 07, 2007, 12:13:13 PM

Actually, that is what I was going to say.  Bullitt was made by Warner bros and the 2 Chargers bought were paid for without any promotional consideration.  After the movie release sales for Chargers and Mustangs increased. 

When the DOH came out they went with the charger.  They shopped around for many cars, but felt that the Charger was the best one.  It is highly likely that Warner Bros used the Bullitt car as a DOH car.

I highly, highly doubt it was something WB had kicking around and used it for the show. Allow me to explain why:

Before 1983, WB only built 3 General Lee's. All were 1969's and the first one was a total POS they bought with thrift in mind. They wanted a Charger, but was not sure it would be the final car (it was just an idea, not something that was ordered by execs), so they bought the least expensive and most complete Charger they could find. This way if the idea was rejected, there was little risk. If they had a Bullitt car kicking around, that would have been the first GL and everybody would be converting 1969's to 68's.

Now, it IS possible it went back into the general public and was bought by one of the shops building them or to WB after they brought all GL building inhouse. But it sure wasn't something kicking around that ended up used.

bull

Yea, I doubt one of the Bullitt Chargers sat around for 15 years before being converted to a '69 and put to use in DOH.

JMF

According to the Bullitt site, one Charger still exists and it is owned but a film producer in San Francisco, also I heard rumours that the Bullitt Charger's were originally blue? But then why would the producers bother to paint 2 cars when back in 68 2 black ones would have been easy to get? The Mustang resides somewhere in Tenessee and the guy who owns it now bought it off an employee of Warner's and refuses to sell or let anyone take pictures, the few that have seen it say it's in a really bad way, it has 66k on the odometer, most of the front grill section is missing, many holes over the car where camera and filming equipment were mounted, still has the AR Wheels on etc, I wonder what that Mustang would fetch at Barrett Jackson?

GeneralLeeTESH

YouTube has the chase scene here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36MFh4of6lE

Love the FRYING tires !!! :scratchchin:
The TESH

70charger_boy

Quote from: GeneralLeeTESH on October 08, 2007, 09:16:16 AM
YouTube has the chase scene here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36MFh4of6lE

Love the FRYING tires !!! :scratchchin:

I love the wheel hop on the Mustang when Steve puts it in reverse

HITMAN 149

i remember reading what JMF posted as well....
mcqueen tried to buy the mustang... and the guy wouldn't sell it?????
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

JMF

I presume the existing Mustang is the "Camera" car and the one in all the long cool shots like this is the one that was destroyed

70charger_boy

I read somewhere that the Mustang that is still around is the one that appears in the opening of the chase.  When he makes a left turn, you can see the passenger side rear quarter smashed in.  Wich is funny, because the chase didn't even start yet.

JMF

Yeah I notice a lot of dings on the car before the chase starts so you're probably right, in character though I think this is to show that he is a hard working tough cop on a regular wage and a few dings and dents are part of his job : )

Ghoste

Quote from: JMF on October 08, 2007, 03:49:28 AM
According to the Bullitt site, one Charger still exists and it is owned but a film producer in San Francisco, also I heard rumours that the Bullitt Charger's were originally blue? But then why would the producers bother to paint 2 cars when back in 68 2 black ones would have been easy to get? The Mustang resides somewhere in Tenessee and the guy who owns it now bought it off an employee of Warner's and refuses to sell or let anyone take pictures, the few that have seen it say it's in a really bad way, it has 66k on the odometer, most of the front grill section is missing, many holes over the car where camera and filming equipment were mounted, still has the AR Wheels on etc, I wonder what that Mustang would fetch at Barrett Jackson?

Except that, as far as I have heard, the existing Charger has never been proven to be one.  It is only reported as such.  I don't claim expertise there by any means.
As for the black cars, I thought only one was blue and in spite of what we would think, it wasn't that simple for them to buy what they wanted in the time frame they wanted them.  Again, I don't know this for fact, only offering up the opposite points of view I have heard.
The Mustang was in Mustang Monthly a couple of issues back but they apparently did have quite a time convincing the owner to let them do an article on the car.

70charger_boy

As far as the blue charger, is that the mythical Hemi charger?

Khyron

Quote from: Ghoste on October 08, 2007, 12:18:54 PM

The Mustang was in Mustang Monthly a couple of issues back but they apparently did have quite a time convincing the owner to let them do an article on the car.

really? I would never have a problem with anyone doing an article on my car  :D

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

learical1

I recall a Motor Trend mag from late 68 or early 69 where they interview Steve McQueen.  I haven't seen this issue in probably 20 years, but I believe SMQ states that there was one Charger and 2 Mustangs.  something about fixing one mustang while filming the other, then swapping when the mustang broke.  but the charger didn't need to be swapped back and forth because it didn't break while filming.  or something to that effect.
Bruce

JMF

Was there pictures of it in Mustang Monthly?

Brock Samson

i posted this in the last BULLETT thread...
but i'll do it again,.. at 6:21 there's a shot of the second charger camara car... with steve expaining in his own words, the cars and the chase...
some folks dont like the movie Bullett, but truth be told it was amazing innovative at the time... not just for the car chase but for being shot entirely on location.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xt7_xz1ju8

special boner, err, bonus pics...

Ghoste

Learical, I used to have a copy of that Motor Trend issue myself.  McQueen also claimed the Charger was a Hemi in that interview but the common opinion now is that he was embarrased by the Mustnags performance with him being a Ford fan and all. 
As to the Mustang Monthly article, I only glanced at it real quick at a buddy's place but as I recall ,yes, there were current photos.

JimShine

On, but off topic: A big flaw in public thinking is this movie is responsible for the success of the 1968 model year and is what helped push the popularity of the redesigned Charger. The flaw in that thinking is the movie didn't come out until October 1968, when the 1969 model year was in production. That means the whole 1968 redesign held its own without the help of the movie. If the movie did infact generate sales, it would have effected 1969's as those were what was being made.

HITMAN 149

hmmmmm good point jim!!!
so yea!!! people realllllly love 68 chargers on their own!!!! HA!!!!!!!!!!!
movies!?!?!? movies!?!?!?....we don't need no stinkin movie to promote our year cars!!!!!!!!!
:icon_smile_big:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

70charger_boy

Quote from: JimShine on October 08, 2007, 05:20:45 PM
On, but off topic: A big flaw in public thinking is this movie is responsible for the success of the 1968 model year and is what helped push the popularity of the redesigned Charger. The flaw in that thinking is the movie didn't come out until October 1968, when the 1969 model year was in production. That means the whole 1968 redesign held its own without the help of the movie. If the movie did infact generate sales, it would have effected 1969's as those were what was being made.

Well, it worked for Pontiac in 1977