News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How ya' Clean Raised White Letters?..

Started by Brock Samson, September 28, 2005, 11:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

I've been using Bleachwhite and steel wool, but it's a major PITA and I'd like to know if anyone has a better idea/s...  ???

Wakko

Bleche White works great, but I use a wirebrush, not steel wool.  The wirebrush I use was in the car cleaning section specifically for that purpose and I can clean my white letters in literally minutes. 
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

bluesfool

4forty

I use a  powerwasher, a Sears or something like that, works great without bleachwhite

plum500

OldGuy

"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

triple_green

use full strength dawn dishsoap and scrub it with a stiff nylon bristle brush.
Let it sit for 10 minutes and then bush as you wash it off. This will not chew up the white letters like some of the other suggestiions here.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

SeattleCharger

Wesley's bleachwhite, and the wire brush from the auto section in Schuck's.   Wet the tire, spray on the stuff, you don't have to wait long, then as you wire brush them, you may want to keep wetting them with water and/or the Wesley's bleachwhite to lubricate the wire brush and lettering, then rinse well.    So basically what Whakko said.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Charger_Fan

I can't believe you guys use wire brushes. :o
Quote from: triple_green on September 28, 2005, 11:43:35 AM
use full strength dawn dishsoap and scrub it with a stiff nylon bristle brush.
:iagree: Although, I've always used Tide...it doesn't foam up as much as dish soap. You just have to make sure you rinse & scrub it off, or it will leave residue...Tide has a little bleach in it.

My method;
1)Wet tire & brush
2)Sprinkle Tide on brush & scrub away...wet a little more if it get's dry.
3)Squirt off brush, then squirt off tire while lightly scrubbing excess soap off tire.
4)Admire all the dirt washing down the gutter towards the neighbor's house. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Khyron

Dish soap and a brush, never did me wrong :D

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

bull

Soap and water and a brush with stiff bristles works good.

andy74

i got the yellow mopar wheel and tire cleaner from my dealership-stuff works great,and you only need to scrub if they are really dirty,other wise,wet em,spray ,wait 2 or 3 minutes and then hose off!costs about 6 bucks a bottle

Charger_Fan

Quote from: andy74 on September 28, 2005, 01:21:15 PM
i got the yellow mopar wheel and tire cleaner from my dealership-stuff works great,and you only need to scrub if they are really dirty,other wise,wet em,spray ,wait 2 or 3 minutes and then hose off!costs about 6 bucks a bottle
Looks like the ones in your sig pic could use a little of that. :D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

andy74

:iagree:it was dirty that day,but my wife had to take my pic,before i cleaned the car up,and the baby wouldnt scrub the wheels!

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: Wakko on September 28, 2005, 11:28:34 AM
Bleche White works great, but I use a wirebrush, not steel wool.   The wirebrush I use was in the car cleaning section specifically for that purpose and I can clean my white letters in literally minutes.  
:iagree:

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Wakko on September 28, 2005, 11:28:34 AM
Bleche White works great, but I use a wirebrush, not steel wool.   The wirebrush I use was in the car cleaning section specifically for that purpose and I can clean my white letters in literally minutes.  

:iagree:

:police:

:brickwall:

moparguy01

i use that wileys or wesley's bleachrite, cant remember exactly what it is, spray it on, by the time you get 1 side sprayed, go back and scrub with a stiff nylon brush. then rinse it off right away, and repeat on the other side

the only thing is it seems to kinda make the black of the tires look dry, so when im done with that i pour some clean motor oil on a rag, wipe it on trying to avoid the letters, then buff it out with a clean rag after that. It gives it that matte shine. and stays clean for quite some time.

but i just hate that glossy tire shine crap.

SeattleCharger

I always wondered about using motor or tranny oil on the tires, that shiny tire stuff is expensive.     

On an old oxidized car you can rub tranny oil all over the car with a rag and make it look way better,   actually works, no joke.     When it gets a little dusty, just rub the dust off with a rag, still good.     

4forty

SeattleCharger

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on September 29, 2005, 12:28:26 AM
  I always wondered about using motor or tranny oil on the tires, that shiny tire stuff is expensive.     

On an old oxidized car you can rub tranny oil all over the car with a rag and make it look way better,   actually works, no joke.     When it gets a little dusty, just rub the dust off with a rag, still good.     

hehe, ya, I'm talking about an old beater car, a couple/few cars I had in college, this mechanic at a shop showed my to rub tranny oil in the very oxidized paint as a quick trick, instead of rubbing out the paint, which I would just do now, but it did actually make a huge difference, and the slightly oily/clear surface looked alright, it put the oil back in the oxidized paint, so to speak, and made it look shiny/waxed looking, didn't last past a number of days though, just wash the car with soap and water eventually, pretty much disappears, not messy like you would think,

Charged

Tried it all and Ive concluded on Wesley's "BleachWhite" followed with a wire brush.

However, it appears that lately its been impossible to locate a new wirebrush in my town, so Ive had to settle for a netted dish scrubbing sponge. It works, but takes more elbow grease that the wire brush.

Charged

bull

Quote from: 4forty on September 28, 2005, 11:32:50 AM
I use a   powerwasher, a Sears or something like that, works great without bleachwhite

I tried a power washer on my dad's whitewall tires and it didn't even touch them. The only thing that was different when I was done was that the tires were wet.

dart3404

simple green and a scrub brush...
Non-toxic and biodegradable... Works well on just about everything...

http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_prod_pro.php

triple_green

wirebrushes work well, but over the long run, they will chew up the surface of the whiteletters.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

derailed

1973_WP29P

Pinkstuf is all I've ever used.   I even have a customer (a mechanic) that washes his work coveralls with it.   My wife uses it to get stains out of the kids clothes. :yesnod:

http://www.pinkstuf.com/home.php

Rod

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Duey

Quote from: dart3404 on October 09, 2005, 10:55:35 AM
simple green and a scrub brush...
Non-toxic and biodegradable... Works well on just about everything...

http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_prod_pro.php

Jen, folks need to be careful with SimpleGreen around aluminum (wheels)...it corrodes non-coated aluminum and can get into the tiniest cracks in laquered mag wheels and pit.  While SimpleGreen might not do damage if rinsed shortly after application, if it sits somewhere (like between the rim and the tire bead) it can corrode.  Being involved in aviation, I'm weary of things that corrode or weaken the metal my machine is made of...even SimpleGreen notes the issue. (maybe it's not such a biggie on cars...just not on my helo!  :-\ )

http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_faqs.php#A
http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/maintenance/issues/cleaners/cleaners.html

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

hydroforce

'68 CHARGER -'05 RUMBLE BEE 4X4 -'05 RAM 2500 Deisel  -'94 GMC VAN 4X4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2191750/1 -'68 CHARGER
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2190250 '05 RUMBLE BEE

sean68charger

wd40, spray it on and wipe it off straight away, works a treat. :)
68 Charger 440 R/T<br />Burnout Bandit!!!