News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Winged Warrior HISTORY @ Bonneville...is there any ?

Started by GeneralLeeTESH, September 24, 2007, 10:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

learical1

Quote from: DougSchellinger on October 11, 2007, 09:27:27 AM
Some time ago, I created a Bonneville page on the Superbird.com site.   Click the link below for more pics.    Galens car on the salt is on the bottom of the page.

http://www.superbirdclub.com/bonneville.html

Doug , the picture I have is different: Galen, in a firesuit, standing along side the 'Bird.  He sent it to me and gave me permission to post it here, but it's the wrong file type (bmp) to attach.
Bruce

hemigeno

Quote from: learical1 on October 11, 2007, 01:37:59 PM
Doug , the picture I have is different: Galen, in a firesuit, standing along side the 'Bird.  He sent it to me and gave me permission to post it here, but it's the wrong file type (bmp) to attach.

Bruce,

If you want to email me the file I will convert, shrink (if necessary) and post for you.

:cheers:

learical1

Bruce

hemigeno

Quote from: learical1 on October 11, 2007, 02:10:53 PM
Geno, check your e-mail.

Got it - here is the pic you had mentioned...  Bruce, if you wanted the other pictures posted, let me know.

learical1

Galen gave me permission to post all the pictures here. I'm barely smart enough to know how to post the jpg pictures, I just havesn't seen a particularly good thread to add them to.  But, a wing car (or two) is always worth a look, so go for it.
Bruce

hemigeno

Quote from: learical1 on October 11, 2007, 02:27:05 PM
Galen gave me permission to post all the pictures here. I'm barely smart enough to know how to post the jpg pictures, I just havesn't seen a particularly good thread to add them to.  But, a wing car (or two) is always worth a look, so go for it.
:iagree:

OK, here they are

learical1

Galen will have to fill everyone in on the 'bird with the white gut.  The other (black bench/bonneville) 'bird used to belong to my brother and me.  440 4bbl column auto.  Galen purchaced it in January 1980, if I recall, maybe 1981.  My brother bought it in 1975.
Bruce

Redbird

The Superbird race car I bought from Bruce and his brother Bill in Dec. "79. I was in college at the time and had another 440 4bbl 4 spd Superbird. The race car is a 440 4bbl, auto on column, black bench Tor-red, matching # everything car. At that time I was living a ski-bum, work my way through college, no bills lifestyle. I got laid-off from my drafting job the day I flew to Phoenix to buy the car from the Lears. I slept on the bench at Sky Harbor airport until the Lears picked me up the next morning. At first I had the original 65,000 mile shortblock that I put a max wedge heads and intake on. The price I paid for the max wedge stuff was low, low, low. I ported the heads myself with a Dremel and about 50 bits from Sears. I started out with the original cam, eventually put in a Engle solid cam. Went 173 MPH. I decided to put the original engine in the garage before I ruined it. Bought another 440 block, had the block worked on at the Block Shop, crank at Windberg Cranks in Denver. Put in an Engle roller cam with a fair amount of lift but not much duration, advice from Jack Engle and Bob Sykes.  14# aluminum flywheel, Mallory Mag. 2.76 rear, dodge truck overdrive 4 spd- which bolted in. Bonneville land speed tires, went 198 and change. Kids with very little brains can go that fast on street bikes today. Cage was an Alston kit with added bars. I had the seat built like Bobby Sykes Bonneville Camaro. Put so much wheel bearing grease and WD-40 on the bottom of the car it was probably a fire trap on the bottom, the car has almost no rust on it, what's there is mostly surface rust. We saw Art Afrons run a jet, Al Tigue go out the back door at 432MPH, Don Garlits run his Swamp Rat, Andy Granitelli run his Camaro, and the Birklunds run 300MPH in a Datsun B-210-chopped-channelled-20' long with a Hemi. The diner that they recreated for the Worlds Fastest Indian, we used to go to breakfast in. One of the best things I ever did in my life. We'd hang with the Lindsleys, Fredericks, and Vern Judy. Sat in the diner next to Dave Matson when he talked about dumping his Vincent at 200 MPH, when the Harleys couldn't get over 175. Did it with my Pop.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Redbird

The second Superbird in the garage is originally a 440 6bbl, auto on the column, black bench Tor-red car that I bought in '87. The engine isn't original, in fact it has a 400 cid that was in it when I bought it. If anyone has a 440 HP with a date code on or before 10/69 that would go .020 or .030 near Colorado or Minneapolis MN for a reasonable price, I'd be interested. I saw a Tor-red, white bucket interior car at the '78 Milwaukee DSAC meet, which I always liked. So I put a white seat bucket interior in my car, it's very doubtful I'd ever sell it, so being correct didn't matter to me. I had a fiberglass nose on it for a long time. 4 or 5 years ago I picked up an original steel shell that was taken off a car in '74 in Wyoming. Rust free, needed some bodywork. The nose has been at the paint shop all summer until the painter gets around to it. All the nose guts are original except the driver z-brace, anyone that has an original for sale I'd be interested. I've been trying to pick up some of the missing original detail pieces for the cars, it just takes time.

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: Redbird on October 12, 2007, 11:12:41 AM
If anyone has a 440 HP with a date code on or before 10/69 that would go .020 or .030 near Colorado or Minneapolis MN for a reasonable price, I'd be interested. .

If you want a running & driving 1970 440 HP2, I have one in a 69 Dodge Sweptline truck I'd sell, assembled 9/69:

http://www.dodgecoronet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7716
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."