News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MCG article 69 nichels engineering daytona race car rebuild now 71 sheetmetal

Started by moparstuart, October 11, 2007, 10:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

did anyone read the article in collectors guide????  Under constructution Rebuilding a Ledgend PG. 36 original race car     
I understand it was  3RD GEN charger race car most of it's life , But man i would restored it as a daytona the way it started life . NIchels daytona for sure . It  Would be worth way more money in the long run ???????.

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

no look at the new article in the brand new mcg    just came out yesterday here 

moparstuart

the article says  this racer began life in 1969 as a nichels engineering chassis wearing a charger daytona body ,  cotton owens didnt recall that the car had been raced in 69 or 70 .  then it was rebodied in 71 as the # 6  glotzbach charger .  It was also driven by ramo stott pete hamilton, roger mcclusky and lary moore

arrow

Quote from: moparstuart on October 11, 2007, 10:10:22 AM
did anyone read the article in collectors guide????  Under constructution Rebuilding a Ledgend PG. 36 original race car     
I understand it was  3RD GEN charger race car most of it's life , But man i would restored it as a daytona the way it started life . NIchels daytona for sure . It  Would be worth way more money in the long run ???????.

I was thinking the same thing !!!!!!!!!!!

Aero426

OK, that sounds like the GW Pierce Auto Parts #14 Charger.   In later years it ran in USAC.   Larry Moore broke the wing cars qualifying record at Milwaukee in that car.

It probably would be worth more as a Daytona or Superbird, but whose car would it represent?    It's more authentic to restore it to a configuration you know for sure it raced in, versus a "maybe".    To take it back from a '71 to a 68-70 body is more than just hanging sheet metal.   The upper cage is different, and it depends on how much was modified from the original configuration.   

That was a pretty car when Glotzbach raced it in 72.

moparstuart

the pictures of it when they found it in florida rusting way the roof was the only sheet metal on it .   I still think daytona sound better to me, But thats my preference

Ghoste

I'd be tempted to restore it to the way it was when Glotzbach ran it.  Not certain I would, but I'd be tempted.  :yesnod:

moparstuart

that would be my 2nd thought two after a daytona   A cotton / charlie car would draw more attention then a usac car  ??  :Twocents:

Aero426

Quote from: moparstuart on October 12, 2007, 08:38:46 AM
that would be my 2nd thought two after a daytona   A cotton / charlie car would draw more attention then a usac car  ??  :Twocents:

I'm now not sure about the Cotton/Charlie connection.    After furthur review, The Marty Robbins Magnum has been claimed as the car that Glotzbach drove in Cotton's #6 colors.    See www.mopardealer.com for more on this.   Pete Hamilton also drove this as a Plymouth. 

I spoke to Horst Bodensack who was involved with the GW Pierce USAC cars.   There were two #14 Chargers.   Charlie & Ramo drove the earlier car often seen with 1972 sheet metal.    McCluskey and Larry Moore drove the later '74 Charger, which I believe is the one we are talking about here.   

The current owner of the Pierce car is a Superbird owner.   My gut feeling is that if it could have been proven it raced as a wing car, he would have done it that way. 

moparstuart

if thats the case then it makes more sense as the 14 usac car  , but I was going by what the MCG article spelled out that is started life as a nichels daytona that never got raced . 

moparstuart

doug it did say in the article that cotton is helping him on itthe car and was the one identifing the car  ???