News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ok Vain, here's your big chance

Started by bull, September 28, 2005, 02:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Or anyone else who wants to chime in.

I have worked my tail off for the past seven months and saved almost $10k for the restoration of my Charger. Rather than let it sit in a savings account at a low interest rate I have decided to look into time deposits. My credit union has a special going on right now for time deposits between $5k-$50k with a rate of 5% for 5 months. This a good term for me as the Charger will be out of the paint shop next spring (I hope) so I should get the money back in time to blow it all.

Would you use a time deposit at this rate, which is a very good rate, or do something else? I need the money to be secure, ie. I can't be rolling the dice on the stock market or some other high-risk endeavor.

Also, we signed up for one of these credit cards that award you with airline miles but we don't use it for big stuff all that much. I was thinking of putting my paint job and engine rebuild on the credit card and then paying it off with the money I've set aside in the time deposit. That can be a bit of a gamble too in case something big comes up but my wife and I have always been very responsible with the credit cards. We've always paid it off each month and, except for maybe two occasions in the past 11 years, never payed a dime in interest. And the time deposit should mature before we have to pay for the paint job anyway.

What do you think?

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on September 28, 2005, 02:31:13 PM

I have worked my tail off for the past seven months and saved almost $10k for the restoration of my Charger. Rather than let it sit in a savings account at a low interest rate I have decided to look into time deposits. My credit union has a special going on right now for time deposits between $5k-$50k with a rate of 5% for 5 months. This a good term for me as the Charger will be out of the paint shop next spring (I hope) so I should get the money back in time to blow it all.

Would you use a time deposit at this rate, which is a very good rate, or do something else? I need the money to be secure, ie. I can't be rolling the dice on the stock market or some other high-risk endeavor.

Also, we signed up for one of these credit cards that award you with airline miles but we don't use it for big stuff all that much. I was thinking of putting my paint job and engine rebuild on the credit card and then paying it off with the money I've set aside in the time deposit. That can be a bit of a gamble too in case something big comes up but my wife and I have always been very responsible with the credit cards. We've always paid it off each month and, except for maybe two occasions in the past 11 years, never payed a dime in interest. And the time deposit should mature before we have to pay for the paint job anyway.

What do you think?

give vainglory your 10k, and by the end of college football season youll have 15K.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Vainglory, Esq.

Actually, my yield at the end of last season was 135% :D  Then again, I'm not doing so good so far this year... :-\

Anyhow, for a short term deposit, a rate of 5% is good - it's better than regular savings interest and money market.  Also, over 5 months, I wouldn't bother with stocks, since I believe that if you don't have the time, inclination, or expertise to follow it all the time, it's either long term or nothing.  So that's a yes on the deposit.

As regards the credit card, I'm a big believer in plastic.  I don't carry cards that don't have reward plans, and I always just take the rewards as a check at the end of the year.  Seeing as I pay off my cards and don't generally carry a balance, I actually tend to make money off of credit cards, which is fine, since they usually take a ~2% cut from the merchant on every transaction and have plenty of deadbeats to make their interest on.  So if you have the money in the bank, go ahead and use your rewards card and pay it all off immediately.  Unless you're not sure of where the funds to pay it off are coming from or if they're definite, you can't lose.  Plus it stands the chance of positively impacting your credit, and especially your credit with that particular lender.  So that's a yes on the card too.

bull

Quote from: Mojo Classic ® on September 28, 2005, 02:39:44 PM

What do you think?

give vainglory your 10k, and by the end of college football season youll have 15K.

After his 50% cut or before?

73dodge

I think that's a very good idea. I kinda did the same when I was restoring my 74 Satellite I bought my parts from a parts store in Cleveland that gave you one of those punch cards that when you fill it up with holes they gave you 5 dollars off any purchase. I saved enough to get headers, aluminum manifold and holley 4bbl for free because I had so many cards punched out.

But don't be so tight with the money things come up in life that you might be glad that you had some extra saved up and would have to use it for life problems.

But what about a 6 month CD? I have not seen the rates on those but you might make more on intrest at the end of the 6 months. The downside is your money is tied up and you can't get it out for 6 mos.
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

73dodge

What do you think?

Maybe you should also get one of those card that give you airline miles instead of reward points. It would make a nice trip to someplace nice for you and your wife to take. Kind of a reward for her for being a partner in your Charger and she might not be resitant when you want to buy that HEMI for your Charger..........
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

bull

I'll look into the CDs. That rate of 5% is pretty darn good for the term. Even some of the three or four year deposits aren't as good.

bull

Quote from: 73dodge on September 28, 2005, 04:30:38 PM

What do you think?

Maybe you should also get one of those card that give you airline miles instead of reward points. It would make a nice trip to someplace nice for you and your wife to take. Kind of a reward for her for being a partner in your Charger and she might not be resitant when you want to buy that HEMI for your Charger..........

That's what we have. Once our youngest daughter gets to the age of five or so we're going to use it for a Disneyland trip.

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on September 28, 2005, 04:35:55 PM

That's what we have. Once our youngest daughter gets to the age of five or so we're going to use it for a Disneyland trip.

cool...you and Vain can get together for a beer.  :devil:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Mojo Classic ® on September 28, 2005, 05:10:13 PM

cool...you and Vain can get together for a beer.   :devil:
Hey! That means we might not have as many verbal :argue: bashings around here...we can't have that, this place just won't be the same. ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Chris G.

One minute Bull is telling Vain how he couldn't come close to filling a shot glass with his "real life" experiences, and the next, he's asking Vain how to make more money. What a wonderful place this is.   ;D

Play nice guys, you never know who might be able to help you out down the road.   :Twocents:

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Mojo Classic ® on September 28, 2005, 05:10:13 PM

cool...you and Vain can get together for a beer.   :devil:

Hey man, I'm down.  And believe it or not, I'm even old enough to buy beer. :cheers:

Ponch ®

Quote from: Vainglory on September 28, 2005, 06:44:07 PM

Hey man, I'm down.   And believe it or not, I'm even old enough to buy beer. :cheers:

no no...you have to buy him a shot.

ChargerBill

Shoot, the way the classic car market is going, I'd almost spend some time finding a '69 1/2 440-6 Roadrunner or clean GTX or Charger RT and sit on it for a while. Buy at 30K and sell at 50K next year...can't make that return anywhere else. One things for sure, even if you can't turn a 50% profit, you will get some return and you'll NEVER lose a dime!

And if 5K is your spendable limit then buy a project car and pickle it...you'll gain money either way. Doesn't have to be muscle either. 59 El Camino's are going WAY up in value, Impala bubble tops are on thy rise, 50's verts of ANY kind are on the rise, BIG FIN cars are going up...find a screaming deal and sit on it.
Life is a highway...

bull

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on September 28, 2005, 06:02:37 PM
One minute Bull is telling Vain how he couldn't come close to filling a shot glass with his "real life" experiences, and the next, he's asking Vain how to make more money. What a wonderful place this is.   ;D

Play nice guys, you never know who might be able to help you out down the road.   :Twocents:

I never said he didn't know economics, I just said I didn't want to hear textbook jibber-jabber while I'm bitching about gas prices. Anyway, I'm over it. If I get really irritated I usually launch a nuke and try to lay waste to all, but then I'm better and will gladly buy the survivors a beer.

ChargerAndy

Bull,
     Sounds like a good plan to me.....so long as, like you said, nothing unforseen goes wrong. Go for it!   :yesnod:  Andy

last426

What do you think?

Heck, I would just stick it in a money market fund -- sure, they pay a little less, around 3 percent, but you can write checks on them and you're only talking about $200 gain for the 5 percenter or maybe 125 gain for the 3 percenter (I am estimating these numbers).  It's not enough money to hassle with and it is good to have the money available instantly.  Kim

69charger2002

screw all that putting money in the bank. tell ya what.. you want some return.. send me the $10k for 6 months.. in 6 months, i will send you $12,000 back, how's that?
whatever else i make on top of that, consider it my fee.. can you go wrong with that??
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

bull

Quote from: 69charger2002 on September 28, 2005, 10:55:32 PM
screw all that putting money in the bank. tell ya what.. you want some return.. send me the $10k for 6 months.. in 6 months, i will send you $12,000 back, how's that?
whatever else i make on top of that, consider it my fee.. can you go wrong with that??
trav

That sounds great. Are you cooking meth or what?

69charger2002

haha that would be too easy.. and illegal. let's just say i'm blessed in the ability for good old american capitalism. if interested let me know.. for real. gotta give me 6 months for turn around.. the wife won't let me do 10k all too often, or i'd be a millionaire already.. once this house gets paid for however.... lol
trav

bull

69charger2002

lol it's carefully investing i cars if that makes you feel any better.. not drugs or the superbowl

bull

So I just write a check for $10,000 and mail it to some guy I don't know? Forgive me but there might be a few concerns with this proposal.

Brock Samson

bull

Quote from: Stratocharger on September 29, 2005, 01:14:00 AM
send it to me, ya know me...   ;)

Yes, and that's precisely why I won't be sending it to you. ^-^

Just 6T9 CHGR

You mean you dont know Travis?   Our resident "pro-flipper"?    :icon_smile_approve:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

I guess I know him as well as anyone on this site except for those I've actually met in person. Let's see, I've met triplegreen, AllBlueRT, 8WHEELER, CK1, um, River, talked to Red Kilby and Chryco on the phone a couple times, Halfast, TK73 (who hasn't been here yet, or has he?) 473Charger, DaytonaGuy, I know SteveP pretty well, that's about it. Sorry if I left anyone out. I know I've met some others at the d-c.dom meet in Kent but I didn't take note as well as I should have. I think I remember asking Travis once if he had an OE 2nd gen. LR wheel moulding for sale but never heard back. Was that you Travis? I gave River $70 the other day but he handed me six socket racks in return. I don't know. I guess I'll need some references. :icon_smile_cool: Tell ya what, you send me photocopies of your SSN card and driver's license and your fingerprints and we'll talk. ;D

69charger2002

lol bull, i was really pretty much joking anyway. i surely wouldn't randomly send someone 10k either.. i mean if it was ever serious, of course you'd have to get some references etc.. chris, and lots of the other board members "know" me on here, though i have only MET a few of them, or talked on the phone to a few more.. not a big deal.. i was just giving you something to think about.. on better ways to turn that 10k into something more. i will never put my money in a market just to watch it sit and barely draw interest, when i can take 10k and turn it into 15k in a month or 2, usually buying 2-3 project cars and "flipping" them as 6T9 said
trav

nh_mopar_fan

I think your plan is great. 5% secured is tough to top these days and the credit card idea is exactly what I would do.

I charger EVERYTHING on my card. I get a couple free anywhere in the US plane tix just about every year and since I pay the card off every month, they're gratis...

I love Discover. They're good for another couple hundred a year which rather than take the money, I use with Lobster gram, they give you $80 for every $40 you spend. I sent a bunch of people a 2 lobster dinner as christmas presents every year. They love them and it costs me nothing.