News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

plasma tv

Started by dkn1997, September 28, 2005, 06:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

I am thinking about getting one.  anyone here have one?  not interested in what you "heard" I would like to hear from actual people who have one.

thanks.

also thinking about buying it online.  prices are unreal.  42" for 1600 delivered to my door, not refurbished, new in factory box w/warranty.
RECHRGED

CFMopar

DLP is still the best picture quality...

:Twocents:
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

dkn1997

you know, my friend has one and I like it.  and for the same money, I can get a 50" vs 42.  but is it really better than plasma.

I know you don't get "burn in" with dlp and if the bulb ever goes, it's cheap, but is the picture really better
RECHRGED

MoparYoungGun

I know you don't want to "hear" about what I've heard but I have a relative who works at Sony and he has told me that after a few years, Plasma's tend to crap out. He didn't go into detail, no evidnece or anything, just thought I would pass the info along.

Recharger

T.V.s are like anything else... some are good, some suck.   Some high-end DLP sets are going to have better pictures than the low-end and even some average plasmas.   But in general the quality of plasmas tends to be better than the quality of DLPs.   The best plasma will look better than the best DLP, but it will also cost quite a bit more.   Plasmas tend to have better brightness and color reproduction, and many DLP sets have had issues with poor black levels along with color halos and 'ghosting' during fast-action sequences (supposedly remedied in the latest sets, but I haven't seen them.)   On the other hand, plasmas run the risk of burn-in, but again some newer sets have features to help avoid it.   Be careful when looking at bargain plasmas, especially if it's an internet purchase.   I wouldn't buy any t.v. that I haven't sat and watched at a store with my own two eyes.   Also, be sure to check into the seller's return policy in case you get a unit with dead or hot pixels.   I've heard particularly strong warnings against the Dell and Gateway units, along with LG and some other Korean names I can't think of right now.   But, I don't own one so take it all with a grain of salt.   I did a lot of research and came pretty close to buying one a few years ago before I decided to sink every last cent into a Dodge Charger...

Stormhammer

Quote from: MoparYoungGun on September 28, 2005, 07:30:46 PM
I know you don't want to "hear" about what I've heard but I have a relative who works at Sony and he has told me that after a few years, Plasma's tend to crap out. He didn't go into detail, no evidnece or anything, just thought I would pass the info along.

probably because the plasma level has dropped... seriously - every few years the plasma has to like, be refilled or something

Stormhammer

The main advantage of plasma display technology is that you can produce a very wide screen using extremely thin materials. And because each pixel is lit individually, the image is very bright and looks good from almost every angle. The image quality isn't quite up to the standards of the best cathode ray tube sets, but it certainly meets most people's expectations.

The biggest drawback of this technology has to be the price. With prices starting around $2,500 and going all the way up past $20,000, these sets aren't exactly flying off the shelves. But as prices fall and technology advances, they may start to edge out the old CRT sets. Along with the price is the fact that a plasma TV needs a "refill" every few years - meaning that as time goes on and the TV is used, the plasma will slowly breakdown and dissintegrate, resulting in a downgrade of image quality

Bluebeast

You could always buy it from Costco and return it in five or ten years when something better come out.
1970 Dodge Charger 500 SE 4speed

Todd Wilson

How thick of steel will it cut through?

Todd

CFMopar

I've allways found that the picture on plasmas had rough edges.

I know the next gen of thin dlps are coming out soon. I'll wait for those.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: Stormhammer on September 28, 2005, 07:46:23 PM
probably because the plasma level has dropped... seriously - every few years the plasma has to like, be refilled or something
That must be what he was talking about then.

Silver R/T

ya plasma is the way to go, but I cant afford one right now
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Orange_Crush

I'm looking at TVs right now as well.

Plasma is a good option if you're limited on space....that's realy about it.  Plasma TVs have a definite "life cycle" and I have found that the picture is not as "crisp" as DLP or LCD.  This HAS gotten better recently though.

Personally, I'm going DLP.  I can get a 60 inch prejection DLP TV (Sony) delivered for less than 3000 bucks.

If you want the lowdown on this, go to www.howstuffworks.com and it will give you all the info you're looking for when it comes to the differences between CRT, LCD, DLP, and Plasma.

Then, go to www.audioreview.com and check out the consumer reviews of all the TVs.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.