News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

O.k , so I buy this Charger site unseen on ebay.  The loan company loses my money, :flame: the shippers tear the unibody frame buy chaining it when I asked them not to :flame:, and come to find out the fender tag plate is not only a repro,  not mentioned in the ebay ad, but totally incorrect options are listed. :flame:  A month later I get the car and the guy driving it to me in the lot says, the battery was dead and the brakes hit the floor. :flame:  O.K, so I drive it home and it starts to over heat :flame:, I figure out it has 4:10 gears and I'm screaming down the highway, over heating mind you :brickwall:.  Well, after thinking it over and wanting one for 40 odd years, I write the ebay guy and tell him my woes, but that I will keep it as it is so beautiful, pin straight body, super orange color, wow! :laugh:  Being the hard worker I am, I jump right into it with huge help from my Charger forum friends.  I spend 500.00 for a 323 sure grip :brickwall:, I spend 400.00 for a new radiator core :brickwall:, I spent 5 hours this past Saturday hunting down a new master cyl, and I rip out the ole black grille and spend 425.00 for trim and 500.00 for a new grille. :brickwall:  Tonight, I take that beautiful beast out and it runs SUPER, bam fast shifts, motor cool as a spring day and stops on a dime :2thumbs:.  I finally put a smile on my face and round the corner to my road, small acceleration, vroom, vroom, BANG! :flame: the motor blows up, the fan drives through the one week old radiator and she is dead.  Antifreeze all over a neighbors driveway, smoke and steam :flame:.  She is toast.    No it's not for sale, I won't let it get away that easy, but this sucks :brickwall: :'(  My friend came to take a look at it, and she threw a rod, through the block.  Short block time.  Just not now.  Time to buy a car cover.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

Wow man, sucks to hear that!! Hope you get it going again. Never have I seen so many  :brickwall::flame: in one thread :lol:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

70charger_boy

Welcome to the Mopar family  :pity:

I can bore you with a 2 page story about my woes, but you have it all down on your story.

I'm a car guy and love al kinds.  I'm really into Pontiacs and I can't complain to much about my T/A.  The parts are cheap and the car runs awesome.

I have had my charger for a year and it's nickname is Chain Reaction. 

For what it is worth you have a nice car

dpm68

It seems cursed. Maybe there is a shaman near you. Mine is in pieces, and I sure hope I never have to experience what you just went through. Good luck.

TruckDriver

That sucks. Stuff like that is the main reason I'm loosing intrest in cars altogether.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

OneofNoneRT

Man..just drag it onto a trailer, tool around,  and you will still be the envy of 90% of the population.. Nice car.. :2thumbs:
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)

70charger_boy

tan top

damn  :o ,             :shruggy: thats the way it goes some times with these mopars :yesnod:   we have all been there dude  :pity:  , you have a awesome looking charger for sure :yesnod: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

that really does suck but it has nothing to do with its name .....chevys also blow up...dont ask me how i know!  :brickwall:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68charger383

I know everyone says the world is sue happy, but this sounds like one of those times its not....call Ebay's buyer protection and see what kind of claim you can make with them!

http://pages.motors.ebay.com/services/purchase-protection.html

Post the sellers name so we can make sure no one deals with them.

Car looks great, sorry for the bad luck with the car, hope your not married  :RantExplode:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

70charger_boy

Quote from: 68charger383 on October 15, 2007, 06:48:53 PM
I know everyone says the world is sue happy, but this sounds like one of those times its not....call Ebay's buyer protection and see what kind of claim you can make with them!

It's pretty hard to make a case on ebay for this problem.  Lawyers will argue unforeseable circumstances

Chris G.

Not a chance in hell you could get anything back on that car at this point. Bottom line, you buy a car sight unseen, YOU are taking a huge risk. You have no one to blame but yourself if things don't pan out the way they should. I bought 3 cars sight unseen, and thankfully they worked out for the most part. The one I actually did buy that I saw up close turned out to be a disaster. I was lucky the EPA didn't show up at my house considering the entire neighborhood smelled like paint varnish.

Sucks about the car dude. If I plunked down 30K plus, I would be just as pissed as you. Good Luck getting it fixed and back up and running.

plum500

Man that sucks. Awesome looking Charger though - color, stance, wheels, - wouldn't change a thing. Hope you fix it and things go well.  :cheers:

71 B5383

:slap: Your first mistake was getting it from esnag! Why would you buy a car like that for I am sure alot, from there UNSEEN. Maybe Generic Motors is for you! :smilielol:  :cheers: Thats esnag for ya. Do it the old fashion way next time. Sorry to hear it though,just havin' fun. :2thumbs:
Should've Kept My '66,That Was 6 Cars Ago
Currently-
  Rust Free 71(383,GB5,HardTop) Charger
  Soon To Be An FJ5 Stock 69 440 Magnum'd 3.55'd
   Correct "LOOKING" Super Wanna Bee
        (by the way,gotta 71 Super Bee hood 4 sale?)
           some cash and my 72 Power Bulge hood?

GeneralLeeTESH

The TESH

70charginglizard

At least it's makin for a real pretty garage ornament.

I feel your pain bro. I've had my own share of mopar gremlins lately. Luckily I think I got most of them battled out for now.

Heads up and just remember...you have the whole winter to work on it now.  :yesnod:
70charginglizard

1969chargerrtse

Car looks great, sorry for the bad luck with the car, hope your not married  :RantExplode:

Thanks for the link, and oh yea I'm married, but to a wonderful paitent woman.  In fact I yelled at her this evening for supporting me.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BigBlackDodge

The problem is that the Charger knows your a GM guy........................it's all about the 'carma' :o

BBD

70charger_boy

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on October 15, 2007, 09:04:23 PM
The problem is that the Charger knows your a GM guy........................it's all about the 'carma' :o

BBD

Oh, so that's what it is........ :popcrn:

bull

Quote from: 1hot68 on October 15, 2007, 06:39:37 PM
that really does suck but it has nothing to do with its name .....chevys also blow up...dont ask me how i know!  :brickwall:
:iagree: And I'm sure there are several hundred/thousand Camaro guys with similar stories. Anyway, just give it some time, let yourself cool down and return to the project when you don't feel like :flame: or :brickwall:

Musicman

Hey GM guy... I hate to see ya suffering like this, so just drop it off at my house and all your troubles will be over.   :popcrn:  Heck, I'll even come get it, cause that's the kind'a guy I am  :2thumbs:

Seriously... great looking car brother, sorry you got stiffed, but don't blame mother Mopar, she had nothing to do with it.

:cheers:

RD

Quote from: Chris G. on October 15, 2007, 07:01:13 PM

Not a chance in hell you could get anything back on that car at this point. Bottom line, you buy a car sight unseen, YOU are taking a huge risk. You have no one to blame but yourself if things don't pan out the way they should. I bought 3 cars sight unseen, and thankfully they worked out for the most part. The one I actually did buy that I saw up close turned out to be a disaster. I was lucky the EPA didn't show up at my house considering the entire neighborhood smelled like paint varnish.

Sucks about the car dude. If I plunked down 30K plus, I would be just as pissed as you. Good Luck getting it fixed and back up and running.

sux about your car, seriously, but I totally agree with Chris.  That is the first rule on Ebay is when purchasing a vehicle, you do not buy it unseen.  I know you don't want to hear that, but my empathy can only go so far, especially when it is not the car's problem that you were screwed over, but the seller who sold it to you and yourself for not doing your homework.

No offense, but whenever someone says that this is why they are a GM guy because they have some aches and woes about their charger, tells me they truly do not appreciate the car for what it is.

One question, if you built the car and it had all these issues would you be just as pissed as you are now knowing you bought the car this way?  I would think not, because then all you had to do was blame yourself.  You are projecting your anger for the seller and yourself towards the car.  The car didnt do anything, you did.

These posts piss me off, sorry, but I take offense to it.  I am dodge loyal, have been forever.  My dodge's have lasted forever with no issues, and if there is one, guess what, I fix it.  If you are such the GM guy, go buy a camaro and let that break down on you 4 times and then you can post in a camaro forum about how you should be a MOPAR guy.  I just dont want to hear this crap.

I really dont care if you take offense to this or not, its my opinion and it will stay with me.  I think finger pointing in the blame game, especially putting one brand over another (albeit GM in a MOPAR forum) is just asking for a rebuke and chastising.

If you want accolades for your MOPAR bashing, take this post to a GM forum, but you will not get anything but the opposite from me.

I am tired, had a couple of beers, and this just chapped my ass.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

The70RT

OUCH! but probably well deserved. Not a good title for a Charger Forum.  :rotz: And one from me too  :slap:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

71ChallengeHer