News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

shifting problems on a rebuild trans

Started by CB, September 05, 2005, 09:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

Accelerate first to second = OK
Then it stays too long in 2nd gear.
And if it goes into 3rd, I can't hold speed because it shifts back to 2nd.

It might be the kick down linkage, I guess.
Any can help me out? What to look after?
Thanks
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Ghoste

Yep, check the kickdown first.   Did you have any kind of a shift kit installed?

CB

no kit used. A normal rebuild was done I suppose.

Huh...the kick down linkage, where does it start/end?

I 'Googled' around and this came up:
A soft early shift or late firm shift should tell you again to check the throttle rod assembly.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Ghoste

There will be a rod which is connected to your carb and runs to the back of the engine and down into the trans.  More accurately, it is a series of linkages and bellcranks unless it has been changed to the later version.  This throttle pressure linkage controls among other things, internal trans operating pressures as related to throttle input, shift timing, and kickdown occurance.

CB

Quote from: Ghoste on September 05, 2005, 11:32:44 AM
There will be a rod which is connected to your carb and runs to the back of the engine and down into the trans.  More accurately, it is a series of linkages and bellcranks unless it has been changed to the later version.  This throttle pressure linkage controls among other things, internal trans operating pressures as related to throttle input, shift timing, and kickdown occurance.

OK, I am with you here.
Mine looks strange, has a spring attached on a strange way and does look rusted/old.
I don't know how to adjust these rods. Isn't it better to buy a new linkage, brackets, spring, etc and to replace those old stuff?
thanks
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Ghoste

You can get a reproduction one but they aren't cheap.  I'd try and set up the factory one first.  Do you have the fsm procedure?

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

John_Kunkel

If all of the parts (including the carb) are stock, the adjustment is done at idle. If the carb is aftermarket the correct Mopar throttle lever extension must be used.

With the carb at idle and the trans lever full forward, adjust the top rod so that the rear of the slot rests against the throttle stud. Be sure there is a spring to pull the linkage forward.

From the initial setting, the linkage can be adjusted to tune the part throttle upshift points to suit the individual.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.