News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

bought a house, need to wire in my garage

Started by ron73440, September 28, 2005, 04:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron73440

bought a little house in ne NC it has a ganourmous 2 car garage, only problem is no electric (it's about 30 ft from the house), and I was wondering, is this something you can do yourself, I'm pretty good mechanically and a damn good carpenter, but I know jack and s&@t about electricity and plumbing, any advice is apprieciated
I LIKE BEER!!!
USMC

73dodge

If you don't know what you are doing then get a electrcian do it.

It would be a shame for you to burn down your nice new garage because you messed up the wiring. Plus you should also think about running 220 out there along with 110 it would be nice when you want to hook up some stuff that needs it like a welder or compressor. Have them put in a circuit breaker box to seperate the lines.  Also if you are going to run electricity also think about a gas line for a heater, it's to be nice to work on your car when the weather gets really cold in a warm garage.........
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: 73dodge on September 28, 2005, 04:41:06 PM
If you don't know what you are doing then get a electrcian do it.

It would be a shame for you to burn down your nice new garage because you messed up the wiring. Plus you should also think about running 220 out there along with 110 it would be nice when you want to hook up some stuff that needs it like a welder or compressor. Have them put in a circuit breaker box to seperate the lines. Also if you are going to run electricity also think about a gas line for a heater, it's to be nice to work on your car when the weather gets really cold in a warm garage.........
:iagree:

Old Moparz

You can still do some of the grunt work to save some money, like digging the trench & placing the conduit in it. Make sure you find out how deep it has to be, & remember to put a "drag wire" inside the conduit (just a simple cable/wire) to pull the electric cable through.

Here's a great site just for garages:
http://www.garagejunkies.net/index.php?
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

NHCharger

I agree with ol mozpar. I'm a builder. Built my garage/shop by myself. I did all the wiring I felt comfortable with. I paid my electrician to run the main wire from the meter box to the panel, and helped me with some 3-way switches I keep wiring backwards.
You can probably find a electrician who would let you do the grunt work to keep your costs down. But if you want to hook up the boxes most electricians will pass on the job because it's their name (and insurance) on the permit if anything happens. Or you could pay an electrician to install the meter and panel box and you take it from there. there are plenty of books on basic wiring.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

last426

It's simple, simple, simple.   I ran 220 from a 50 amp breaker into a new box in my shop about 80 feet or so using 6 gauge wire.   Then came off the breaker box and did two circuits for the shop lights and plugs and a third for all my outside lights.   There are some things to learn, something like a separate ground from the neutral in the panel (or the other way around -- can't remember, but that stuff is in all the books).   Make sure you do things to code, follow the book for loads and size of wire, etc., throw a gfi socket at the start of each run and flip the switch, voila, power where you need it.   Kim

Rocky

My father in-law is a licensed electrician, and I worked for him for about 2 years.  Because the garage is detached, means you have to run a separate ground, and the panel breakers must match that of the Main.  Although the work is not too complex for an experienced individual, I suggest that you hire a qualified electrician to at least provide the main feed.  Garages are cake to wire, but I would also suggest having the electrician handle that too.  They can do it much quicker than you can, and give a guarantee.

One area you should definitely look at is low voltage for any security and door openers.  This is often a gray area for electricians, and door installers, so it would behoove you to pay attention, and ask some questions about this aspect.

Best of luck, and feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

4402tuff4u

If you are going to run a welder, 10 gauge is too light. Go with a 6 gauge wire at least you will know you have the power to do anything. Labor is the same, just material is a bit more. Like mentioned above, dig the trench, run the conduit and the wire. Don't need to pay an electrician for laborers work. I'm not sure of NC but up here in NY we put sand around the conduit so frost does not heave up a rock into the conduit. You might want to run two other conduits in the trench. One for phone line and one for water (3/4" dia. black sprinkler pipe will do). Water might have to be deeper or put a blow out valve for winter prep. You can't run phone line in same conduit as electric. You'll get all sorts of interference. You will have to install a separate 6' - 8' ground rod for the garage since you are going to need to install a sub panel. You can do the rod installation too. Just let the electrician do the hook up. You need the underwriters certificate for insurance purposes.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

41husk

contact some electricians and tell them you are willing to do rough in and any grunt work.  Most will be happy to tell you exactly what you need to do for the service you want.  Remember it is much easier to have to much than to add on later ( I wish I had run 220 to my garage) This should also save you some cash.  Good luck!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

nh_mopar_fan

I agree witrh Last426.

This is not brain surgery. It's very straightforward. If you have any questions, buy your materials at an electrical supply house and ask away. They will be happy to help. Hell, I have found some pretty knowledgable guys at Home Depot. Some of the guys that work in that electrical area are codgers who used to be electricians and are now retired. A great source for info.

I wired by 3 bay which is 200ft from my house last fall. I still have to do the upstairs. That'll be going on in the next month or so.

ron73440

thanks for the advice, I think I'm gonna do as much as I can and have the electrician finish it up for me. Had a couple things come up though and am probably gonna have to wait for my tax return to do it, but I definitly want to do it right , be able to run a welder and an air compressor at the same time and all that. Thanks again
                                                                                Ron
I LIKE BEER!!!
USMC