News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

can I do it myself????

Started by RECHRGD, October 24, 2007, 10:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

Hi Mike,  I guess I better do some more research on the mopar performance stuff.  When reading what Jegs offered I saw the Stage VI and thought that was what you were referring to.  The sheet on the Stage VI says it has 78cc closed chambers and uses the 2.14 & 1.81 valves. 
is there any advantage by going to the Stage VI heads?  I've never seen anything on the 452's.   Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

you may want to consider having your heads drop shipped to porter racing heads when you order them and get some level of work done to them.   if youve got the money and want to have them done right  id think it would be well worth it.   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

RECHRGD

Quote from: Runner on October 29, 2007, 06:21:22 PM
you may want to consider having your heads drop shipped to porter racing heads when you order them and get some level of work done to them. if youve got the money and want to have them done right id think it would be well worth it.

Where are they located?  Have you used them before?
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

PRH is locted in Vt. I have used Dwaynes services and he does oustanding work.  :2thumbs: The basic stage 1 port and prep is all you really need, inmo. Well worth the dollars spent.

The new MP 452 aluminum heads are what you want...not the stage 6's. These new 452 castings are made for MP by edelbrock and are the same head as a Performer RPM with an 84cc closed chamber but also have stright plugs which will work much better ith your current headers. These heads also look closer to stock in appearance which makes a difference for some folks. Mancini racing carries these heads.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Runner

bob, ive bought stuff from  dwayne at prh before, howver i have not used him for porting but he would be my # choice if i did.  and he has helped me ALOT with my combo.      i trust dwayne to the point that if he told me id go faster by shuffing dog poop down the carb,   id do it.

theres a post on moparts a guy has .  kinda funny but its a 3.55 geared charger with a gv od unit a 2600 stall  and hes looking for a cam choice as well.  hes from washington to boot.  the man differaance is he is sporting 500 inches.     

i think you will want a sticky tire for the track.  traction is going to be a huge issue,  your going to blow the tires off at will.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3910666&an=0&page=1#Post3910666

Runner

from what ive read stage 6 heads are very good heads, but are basically junk castings out of the box and take massive amounts of money to make right.   the head part # your looking for is P5153524

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on October 29, 2007, 10:32:57 PM
from what ive read stage 6 heads are very good heads, but are basically junk castings out of the box and take massive amounts of money to make right.   the head part # your looking for is P5153524

:iagree: Check out the link :

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/bigblalcocyh.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RECHRGD

Thanks guys--- I've sent an e-mail off to Dwayne listing the suggested combo and asking for pricing on a stage one port job.  Typically, how much HP is gained from a stage one port job? 15-20-25? More?
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Quote from: RECHRGD on October 30, 2007, 08:41:04 AM
Thanks guys--- I've sent an e-mail off to Dwayne listing the suggested combo and asking for pricing on a stage one port job.  Typically, how much HP is gained from a stage one port job? 15-20-25? More?

Bob, the stage 1 portwork will pick up the low and mid lift numbers which is what you need with a .500 lift cam. The higher levels of portwork help with bigger cam profiles than you will run so that work is overkill. On my heads the stage 1 and backcut of the intake valves increased the flow ~ 15cfm across the board....not just at peak lift. The means the gains in power are felt throughout the lift cycle. Really when you think about it ; the motor spends way more time at the mid lifts than it does at max lift....comparatively speaking of course. That being said what you want are nice fat mid lift flow numbers for mild street type builds. I'm sure Dwayne would concurr with this opinion if you asked him.  ;)

As for power....you're probably looking at 25-30 hp increase across the board and corresponding increases in torque.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

RECHRGD

Quote from: RECHRGD on October 30, 2007, 08:41:04 AM
Thanks guys--- I've sent an e-mail off to Dwayne listing the suggested combo and asking for pricing on a stage one port job. Typically, how much HP is gained from a stage one port job? 15-20-25? More?
Well, the e-mail got returned as undeliverable.  I tried calling before leaving for the day and only got a busy signal.  I'll try to get ahold of him tomorrow.  I want to start ordering a bunch of good stuff! :brickwall: :brickwall:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

RECHRGD

Ron, while reviewing this thread I noticed two different cam suggestions from you.  The first was a K58 intake lobe, K60 exhaust lobe on a 108* lsa.  The second was a K56/K58 on a 110 lsa.  Which one do you think is best?  Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

bob,    send dwayne a pm from his moparts log on or call him and leave your number, he will call you back.   hes a one man show so sometimes the phone takes a back seat.   

firefighter3931

Quote from: RECHRGD on October 30, 2007, 07:41:54 PM
Ron, while reviewing this thread I noticed two different cam suggestions from you.  The first was a K58 intake lobe, K60 exhaust lobe on a 108* lsa.  The second was a K56/K58 on a 110 lsa.  Which one do you think is best?  Thanks, Bob

Bob, the different cam profiles were dependant on the stall speed you are comfortable running. The smaller k56/k58 on a 110* lsa is for te Hemi converter. The larger cam would be my pick with the tight 10in converter.  :yesnod:

Ron

RECHRGD

I've had a crazy day and didn't get in touch with Dwayne yet.  I just called and left a message on his machine, so hopefully tomorrow we'll make contact.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

RECHRGD

OK, I talked with Dwayne today.  Nice guy!!  He's going to give me a price by Monday or Tuesday for him to supply the heads, do the port work and ship them to me ready to bolt on.  That seems a cleaner way to go rather than buying the heads elsewhere and shipping across the country twice.  He 's not up on Engle cams.  I guess he's more into the Comp cam grinds.  Anyway I gave him the specs on the K58/K60 grind that Ron suggested.  His only comment was that he'd rather see me go with a 110* or 112* LSA rather than the 108*.  His reasoning was that with the amount of low rpm cruising that I do, it would keep the car running "up on the cam" better and prevent cylinder gas wash.  I'm totally ignorant on how all that works, but I'm sure you guys will let me know.  He also thought I should stay with the 750DP rather than going to an 850 to keep it more streetable.  I was impressed with all the work he does for the F.A.S.T. guys.  He said he can spend two weeks just working a set of 906's for those guys.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

bob, dwayne knows his stuff!  he also biuds the motors for a record setting stock racer.  plus he has a 68 satellite with stock, non ported 906 heads on a nhra stock spec 383 running 11 teens.  he knows how to make power!

firefighter3931

Bob, thats great news. The K58/K60 was the cam for the 10in 3000 stall converter. The k56/k58 was the cam for the street 2600 stall hemi converter. I know Dwayne likes the Comp cams but if he's interested just tell him the 56/58 is the same as an xe268 grind with more lift. The 58/60 would be like an xe274 grind....again with more lift.

I'm sure he can put something together for you that will rock your socks.  :2thumbs:

Ron

RECHRGD

OK, the heads are on the way to Dwayne's from Mancini Racing.  Thanks for getting me together with him.  He'll also be providing the cam, lifters and a new timing set (going with a three bolt unit).  The cam will be a custom grind from comp. pretty close to what Ron suggested.  I'm having second thoughts of just diving into the install myself though.  I'm spending a bunch of money and don't want to screw things up, which I'm quite capable of doing.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

bob,  you will be VERY happy with how it runs. i wish i knew spokane better. i know there is some real hacks up there and some real decent people.   the only person that i know up there that id consider is brian shelley.    i really dont know if he does great work or not,  but i do know he goes to the track with his customers and ive always got along with him. i have no idea hwhat kind of work he does but i know that phil hudlow is a mopar guy as well and i believe works at a shop up there.     if i lived closer id come over in the evenings and lend a hand.    anyway good luck!

firefighter3931

Bob, great to hear Dwayne is fixing you up.  :2thumbs:

Ok, now it's time to roll up your sleeves and get dirty.  :icon_smile_big: A cam/head swap isn't very difficult and we can walk you through it.  ;)

You'd be surprised at the number of guys on this board who had never pulled a motor down and did what you're contemplating and much more. My pm box has been redlined many times with questions from newbie cam/head swappers. Between Mike, Myself and the other members you will do this relative ease.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

Rolling_Thunder

No worries man - We can help you out...     there are enough people here who do this kind of work for a living you shouldnt have a problem with getting support - remember and engine is just nuts and bolts...      :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

RECHRGD

You guys are the best! :yesnod: :yesnod:  It will be around 6 weeks before the heads are done and shipped, so I've got plenty of time to get all my ducks in a row.  BTW, per Dwayne, I've got a set of Crane Gold adjustable 1.5 (PN64790-1) roller rocker arms coming from Mancini Racing, so if I do this on my own, I'll have have plenty of questions on the set-up of those.   :shruggy:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

No problem Bob...valvetrain adjustments aren't difficult at all. Is the cam a solid lifter or hydraulic ?

Ron

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Quote from: RECHRGD on November 06, 2007, 01:02:25 PM
It's a hydraulic.

Thanks for the info Bob. Hydraulic is easy to set up....basicly you just set the preload on the lifter as opposed to setting the lash which is what you would be doing if it was a solid cam. Once it's set you can forget it....when using a hydraulic cam/lifters.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron