News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dash a smash ''pics''

Started by 700jfm, October 25, 2007, 07:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

700jfm

Had a bunch of parts powder coated one of which was the dash. When my son picked up the parts and brought them home the dash was a high gloss  :smilielol: It looks real good but what do you all think? Have it recoated or would it be better to paint and if so what is the best painting process.

69RTSEV88

The dash should be a flat or satin finish for two reasons: 1) to look correct, and 2) for safety reasons.  The tops of the dashes are painted a dull finish so they don't reflect the suns glare off the inside of the windshield and into the drivers eyes.  You will have to have it stripped to bare again and recoated or painted because you can't paint over powdercoating.

700jfm

I didn't know that you cant paint over powder coat I was thinking that I could just paint were the dash pads and trim didn't cover.

dads_69

Powder coated parts can be painted over. I've done it many times. Been doing body/paint for over 20 years. Prep whatever parts you have coated with a red scotch brite and use a sealer lie you would use for the cars paint outside,then paint away.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

BMOTOXSTAR

Please post a pic of the dash. I have to see this. :icon_smile_big:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

700jfm

That's what i was thinking and will try. But what black paint will give me the best flat or satin finish? And will post pics. as soon as i buy a digital camera.

bull

Quote from: dads_69 on October 25, 2007, 11:24:01 PM
Powder coated parts can be painted over. I've done it many times. Been doing body/paint for over 20 years. Prep whatever parts you have coated with a red scotch brite and use a sealer lie you would use for the cars paint outside,then paint away.
Mark

Couldn't you take the gloss out by just scuffing it evenly and leaving it at that?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on October 26, 2007, 08:12:59 PM
Quote from: dads_69 on October 25, 2007, 11:24:01 PM
Mark

Couldn't you take the gloss out by just scuffing it evenly and leaving it at that?
you would have sand scratches then.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

How about Scotch Brite?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on October 26, 2007, 08:42:20 PM
How about Scotch Brite?

the motion and the friction will still leave a sratch , it just wont work.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

All right, I believe ya. :cheers: Now you know why I don't do body work for a living.

700jfm

I think I will keep it gloss and only drive it at night and when the sun don't shine :slap:

bull

Quote from: 700jfm on October 26, 2007, 11:04:20 PM
I think I will keep it gloss and only drive it at night and when the sun don't shine :slap:

Just throw a bunch of crap up on the dash like junk mail, empty Burger King cups, parking tickets, etc.

BMOTOXSTAR

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
It would look like my wife's daily driver dash ! :rotz: :RantExplode:
With all the wrappers and junk. :icon_smile_tongue:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

dads_69

Another idea for you is you can scuff it down and shoot two coats of clear over it using a flattening agent to dull it down also vs. re-painting it all over again. You can use a grey scotch brite to do that part if you chose too.
Mark

700jfm

Here are some pic's of the dash you might need some of these  :coolgleamA: Im going to get it redone.

dads_69

You 100% sure its powdercoated? Cause it looks like it was painted having fish eyes in the top of that dash.Normally powdercoated items come out smooth looking, not cobbled up like your dash. Also, whats up w/the Lightning in the back ground? The rear tires are taller than stock also. Badass trucks. I'll get another won myself someday.
Mark

700jfm

I don't know what happen with the fish eyes that's why I'm taking it back the rest of the parts don't have them live and learn. As for the tires they are temp's My nitto DR555 are on order. good eye :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Mind if I ask what it cost to do all those parts?  My brother in law did mine, he did a super job, but now I can compare prices. :D  Also, the product he used went on paper thin with a super semi flat look.  That coating looks like the way I normally see powder coating which is on a thick side.  If your interested I can call him today and get the product name and number and try to take a good picture of the head lamp valance ( or whatever it's called) I had done.  Not the best pics, but here.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

700jfm

No I don't mind they were 165.00 dollars but I will not be going back to them with any more parts.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 700jfm on November 03, 2007, 08:47:03 AM
No I don't mind they were 165.00 dollars but I will not be going back to them with any more parts.

Dang, I paid 150.00 with the light buckets and pod holders, but that included him sending them out for sand blasting.  All I had to do was drive 2 miles down the road and hand them to him.  He did a great job, no complaints.  Everything for this car has been a problem.  I just got back from Walmart with a new 4 ft florescent lamp.  Stood on a ladder above my car screwed it on, and got screwed because it won't work!   Now I have to undo it, box it up bring it back for a stupid 8 dollar lamp.  Just cracks me up, problem after problem.  I'm starting to wonder if I need this in my life? :scratchchin:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

700jfm