News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trashed center console, any ideas to fix it?

Started by MikeMacCham, October 30, 2007, 10:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeMacCham

Hey guys
I have a 68 dodge charger with a center console on its last leg. It looks like someone put to much weight on it and it cracked here and there and over the years peices have broken off. I was thinking of using gorrilla glue to glue the peices together, then maybe using some kind of interior shell to strengthen it, but I am not sure what to use. I was thinking like 3m on the inside of the console and then a flexible thin plastic on the inside so it would be stronger on the outside and less likly to fall apart. I just changed my interior over to black and am planning on painting the console black as well after I rebuild it.
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

MikeMacCham

Yeah, I was looking for some online, since i am at work, but couldn't find any. I will put some one tommorow.
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

Ghoste

I tired an epoxy on mine but it didn't hold up.  It held for a few years but the crack did come back.  I only applied the goop on the inside so it wasn't a good job to begin with.  I think my solution will be to get one of the repro ones.

bull

bill440rt

Quote from: bull on October 31, 2007, 04:52:49 AM
I'd probably just buy a new one.

:iagree:

For all the time, money, & effort you'll put assembling your broken puzzle, you'd be better off putting it towards a new repro console. They're relatively inexpensive (price will far outweigh the money, effort, & time repairing the old), & the end results will be much better, stronger, & last longer, too. AND look better!!  :coolgleamA:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

HITMAN 149

I AGREEEEEE they are like $200-$250 for a repo OR search on ebay..they tend to go kinda high sometimes.. but you may get a original oem one if that matters?!?!?!
WHO :icon_smile_blackeye: CARES!!!!!!!! hehehehe
buy a repo!!! less hastle.. and it'll be brand new!!!!!!!!
:2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

MikeMacCham

HAHA I was thinking today if I was at work as many hours as I spent on these projects i could buy another car...not that the wife would let me...haha...(sigh) :pigsfly:.  Sorry I didn't get a picture of it yet my oldschool camera is way to ghetto I need a new one.
what I ended up doing was using garilla glue like a shattered lamp shade to fit it back together. then I bought hilti insulation foam  and flipped it upside down and filled it up around the brittle sides. Then I am painting it black like the rest of the interior.
We will see, the main thing is  I am having fun... Like today I talked to a appulstry guy for 20 minutes and buddied it up. he told me the secrects of using a adhesive under the paint as a primer on the plastics, osrry if i sound like a dumba_ _ but I  was working with paints today.  but i was thinking of using a little bondo on the top of the console where a piece is missing and pushing another piece in to mimic the texture. we shall see....i'll get pics asap.
No i'm not trying to have a perfect car, I always wanted a ratpack ride anyway.  :horse:
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

Ghoste

Well, if you change your mind, the repro pieces are pretty tough to beat and after seeing swap meet sellers trying to get hundreds of dollars for old used ones, I'm happy they brought them out.
I can see your point though, if you can fix it for next to nothing, it's money you can spend elsewhere on the project.  Like I said, I repaired the crack in mine and it was nearly invisible for a couple of years but it did come back.

HITMAN 149

last year i picked up a realllllly nice NOS black center console!! and i was thinking of how to.. or what to fill in that back piece that ALWAYS gets cracked with... to make it stronger??? i was thinking maybe shape out a piece of wood to fit into the back piece for more strength/ support?? maybe a lil fiberglass or epoxy to fill in the gaps???  :shruggy:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Ghoste

Good question!  I plan to buy one of the repops for my car but I'd hate to see it crack in the same place.  A little reinforcment would be an excellent idea.

HITMAN 149

yea ghoste...
that's exactley what i was thinkin!!!! hahahah spend decent coin on a new one to replace the beat up broken one... and BAM!!!!!!! same shit!!! LOL!!! maybe fill it up with some cement!!!!!! hahahaha oh it's strong now.... oh don't worry the console weighs 26 lbs!!! LOL  it's all good!!
:2thumbs:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

694spdRT

I am very pleased with the repo I bought. I fixed my original 3 times only to have is crack again and again.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,14720.0.html
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Ghoste

Are the repro's a different plastic or reinforced in that crack zone at all?

694spdRT

I don't think they are any better in that respect. One idea I kicked around to strengthen it was to use "Great Stuff" expandable foam and fill the void under the rear section to make it solid. The problem with that is the foam will make it very difficult if you ever need to take it apart again.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

bull

I would think you'd need something more rigid than that foam stuff. If any give is allowed it's still going to crack if enough pressure is applied.

mikes68charger

There are easy ways and right ways.  I did a combo of both.   All you need is a wood burning iron/soldering iron. Hold the 2 peaces togeather and melt them togetather on the back side not going all the way throw. Take your time and you can use a broken peace of the same plastic and melt it in as a filler. Its called plastic welding. Then renforce with metal and expoy.

MikeMacCham

Well for now I am just haveing fun, eventually i'll just work a overtime day and buy a new one. for now i am using the hilti foam and gorrialla glue + paintin it black. i'll get more pics as i get finished. how much was the repo console? Looks NICE.
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

MikeMacCham

apparently I have to write something here to add a pics so....

"SOMEBODY GO BACK AND GET A SH_T LOAD OF NICKLES!!!"
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

Ghoste

What's that strange looking white thing in the background?  :D

HITMAN 149

Quote from: Ghoste on November 08, 2007, 03:48:14 AM
What's that strange looking white thing in the background?  :D

CHEATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :slap:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

MikeMacCham

One of the Father in law'ss Camaro I think it runs 9's...
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

Ghoste

Camaro huh?  I think I've heard of them.   :nana:

694spdRT

Quote from: Ghoste on November 09, 2007, 06:22:40 PM
Camaro huh?  I think I've heard of them.   :nana:

Me too....in Vanishing Point.  :D
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

MikeMacCham

"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

JimShine

Quote from: Ghoste on November 02, 2007, 06:52:19 PM
Are the repro's a different plastic or reinforced in that crack zone at all?

They feel a bit more stout than the originals to me.

440charger68

I would just cover the whole thing in vinyl. It looks good, and it last along time. I would prefer it if your not looking for the stock look.
life's a garden, dig it.

MikeMacCham

"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"