News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cost of 440 6 pack engine???

Started by topduarte, July 25, 2005, 02:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topduarte

I have an option to buy a 440 6 pack engine with the following specs and need to know what it is worth:

The engine is not a factory six pack, but was built by a
professional builder.  It is complete (excluding air
cleaner assembly, which he will sell separately for $325) but it does include
including alternator, fan and carbs.  The whole valve train is Crane,
including Crane double valve springs, Crane roller rockers, Crane
lifters (solid) Crane push rods, new bronze guilds, new stellite
valve seats.  Cam specs: 480 lift 280 duration 224 degree .050 lobe
center 108 degree. The Mopar 906 steel heads are three stage gasket
match ported to flow 280cfm intake, 280 cfm exhaust each port.
Clevite 77 full groove bearings were used on cam and mains (.010)and
rods(.010) TRW 11-1 pop up forged pistons, steel .010,.010 crank.
New high volume oil pump new pick up tube assy. Block was seasoned
(it was  hot tanked, magged, line honed (mains) and bored to .040
over). Rods are hypo 440 shot peened and resized. The full
rotating assy was balanced. Engine was completely blue printed.
The carbs are original Holley 440-6pac.  The build date on this engine is 3-12-66.
The number stamped on the block 253643-4.

There is no warranty on the engine since it has expired.  It has been turned once a month and was assemble two years ago.

He said it is pushing almost 500 horses.

Any thoughts on what it is worth??

Also, other than getting a big block 727, larger radiator and a different length driveshaft, what else do I need to complete the engine exchange from a 318 to the 440 6 pack??

thanks!!!

RD

well 6 pack setups (intake and up) go for around 1100-1300 dollars in themselves (totally mattering on if its original or repop).  I would sell an engine like for no less than 6,000.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

tomonty

I had to buy all 3 carbs new, which cost 1000 bucks by themselves, so that engine has to be worth at least 2-3k if I had to make a guess...
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

69pistolgripRT

I was out about $2000 for my six pack set-up alone. That included brand new carbs, intake, air cleaner assembly, and all linkages, brackets, etc.
1969 RT 440 Pistol Grip 4-speed

Savannah, Ga

topduarte

Thanks guys!!

I am going to talk to the owner tonight and ask a few more questions and perhaps work out a price that would both sides happy! :yesnod:

Brock Samson

Topduarte:
   for what it's worth my completed 440 Six-pack from a '69 Bee. cost me approx $8K completely re-built & installed, (I also had to upgrade the from my 318s' cooling, oiling, suspension, exhausts, driveshaft and mounts, etc.)  but (so-far) it doesn't yet have the duces, just a 770 street avenger four barrell on a stealth manifold but other then that it's got all the primo bells and whistles and dynoed at 510 HP and 503 LBs, out of the car...  :yesnod:
  BTW: I paid a premium price for the short block because i mistakenly thought six-packs were substansually different then normal HP2 440 magnums..    :rotz:
...also the owner told me it would bolt right in and run, well that was a load..  :icon_smile_angry:
It runs just fine with the 770 CFM and i'm prolly not gonna be able to do all the upgrades I want till I land another/better job.  :icon_smile_blackeye:
  hope this helps..