News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

aero head racing heads

Started by 01MOPAR, November 01, 2007, 04:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

01MOPAR

anyone ever had any experience with aero head racing? they have a good price for 915 heads.
http://www.aeroheadracing.com/id6.html

supserdave

Good price on putting in hardened seats as well. I think it cost 14 bucks each for the set of 915's we just did this summer.

Chatt69chgr

You might consider waiting until Jan/Feb for the 440 Source Aluminum heads fully assembled with stainless steel valves for $899 (if CR issues are not a problem).

471_Magnum

They are the iron head division of Indy Cylinder Heads.

I have heard mixed reviews about them over the years.

I picked up a set of 452s from them at Mopar Nationals. $499. That included upgrading to 2.14/1.81 valve. You can't beat that price. Hardened seats would have been another $100 each.

That said, one of the heads had really bad core shift. I gasket matched them myself. On the head with the shift, I pretty much did all of my grinding on one side of the ports. Fortunately, there was plenty of material to work with. If I didn't have the means to gasket match them, I would have been in a pickel.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

supserdave

Ok, I take that back, $100 each isn't very cheap.

I've heard some shady stuff about indy to, if you had to pay 700 for a set of them with hard seats, I'd definitely wait and spring the extra 200 and get the 440 source ones.

Ghoste

I've heard positive and negatives about various products they've sold but I've never heard of anything "shady" about them.  Is this something we should all be aware of or just whispered rumors?

supserdave

Kind of hear say, but a guy I know tried to become a dealer for them. Bragged there stuff up big, etc. He had to buy 25k worth of there stuff to become a "dealer".

He got some ported aeroheads, and you could see through the casting! Indy refused to take them back.

He dumped them as a dealer, and like I said, it's second hand info.

:Twocents:

max

as mentioned above they are a sister company to indy cylinder head and as above i have also heard some negative stuff about the work that was done to them.

first hand experiance i had several years ago with them was a really good friend of mine was looking for a set of small block street heads for the price they have them listed for.

long story short he was told they would bring him a set to a mopar meet and we went to pick them up and aero/indy said they didn't have any in stock but they could take his heads and do the same work for the same price if my buddy paid shipping on them both ways.

i would personally stay away from them. 

MOPARHOUND!

I've bought two sets of the "452" castings with oversized valves in the last 5 years.

First set had the valve job all over the map, and the valve guides were excessively "tight" on some of the valves.  Paid engine guy to fix them before bolting them on.

Second set the engine guy looked them over and all was well.

Guess it is a gamble on who is doing the machine work on a given day:  :cyclops: :drunk: :errr: :silly: :coocoo: :loser:
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

max

Quote from: MOPARHOUND! on November 02, 2007, 04:37:03 PM
First set had the valve job all over the map, and the valve guides were excessively "tight" on some of the valves.  Paid engine guy to fix them before bolting them on.

actually the valve guide problem is what i heard about as well.

aifilaw

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on November 01, 2007, 07:01:09 PM
You might consider waiting until Jan/Feb for the 440 Source Aluminum heads fully assembled with stainless steel valves for $899 (if CR issues are not a problem).

I fear a lot of people may be waiting in vain. Two things usually happen.
1. a lot of people wait until others have tried it out to see the results of a brand new cylinder head on the market before purchasing one (price usually increases due to demand, simple economics)
2. a lot of people want them immediately to try them out.

The end result is none in stock for 3-4 months, followed by press releases that they are back ordered out to a year... after the first while the price goes up a percentage until the market balances itself and you may get a block good or bad after 2 years time.

Hopefully they have thought of this and prepared for the volume and made a good head that can make it through production without production issues
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads