News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New to site: Superbird or Daytona Clone. Which to Build?

Started by dillon14, November 04, 2007, 05:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dillon14

I found out today after receiving an email with a photo of the vin and body tag that the Charger was originally a 318 car and was painted (A4) Silver Metallic. I think this answers my question as to the color. I already posted a photo of the silver and red Daytona because I thought it looked really nice. Now that the original car was silver, I see no reason not to paint it back the original color.

1970 Dodge Coronet R/T 426 Hemi 4-Speed 1 of 4
1969 Boss 429
1968 Shelby GT-500KR 4-Speed Convertible

nascarxx29

Daytonas got painted A4 silver.Good enough for a original or a  replica
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

dillon14

Now that I have the color, I need my vanity plate. Here it is.

By the way, the State of Maine Plate Shop is at the prison that I run. (LOL)  :2thumbs:

1969 Boss 429

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

1968 Charger B5

hey pal if i were you i would check out dayclona's stuff. i know of one person who has been very happy in the past using the parts.  hate to utter the "d" word in here though......
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

daytonalo

Ghoste

I think it was less about the quality of parts offered by the "D" word and more about the way they seem to thrive on taking an adversarial approach to most threads.

dillon14

When I go to the Dayclona.com site, it comes back as server not found. Do they have a new web site?

1969 Boss 429

dillon14

I just purchased the two front fenders. They seem to be in pretty good shape.

I also have the Hatch from a 1975 Vega coming from a friend.

Things are moving along.

1969 Boss 429

hotrod98

Quote from: dillon14 on November 11, 2007, 05:09:11 PM
When I go to the Dayclona.com site, it comes back as server not found. Do they have a new web site?

Comparing Mike's stuff to Janek's stuff is like comparing apples to oranges. I've heard that Mike's stuff at Dayclona is top notch but I've never been able to actually buy anything from him. When I tried to buy a nose a couple of years ago he said that they only made them during certain times of the year due to the cold temps. I totally understood. But, when I tried to buy parts again the next spring, I was told that it would be a few more months. Long story short, I was never able to buy anything. That's about the time that I started making the wing braces myself. I've been trying to make a lot of the other parts ever since, but can't seem to find the time. It takes a lot of time and dedication to make these parts. If we can convince Larry (daytonalo) to keep making the parts that he's been making, maybe eventually we'll be able to buy every part from a board member at a reasonable price. I plan to make more of the wing braces very soon. A couple of the board members have already placed orders. I had a guy lined up to make a lot of the fiberglass parts, but he's working 60 or 70 hours a week now and doesn't have the time or the energy to do it. 
As for Janek's stuff, I have one of his fiberglass wings and I think it's great. I also have a few other pieces and I have no complaints. The only part that he makes that I wouldn't use is the fiberglass plug for the back window. It's not easy attaching fiberglass to steel and have it stay for long since they have different expansion rates. That and you're forced to use lexan for the back glass. Not good.  Since you're using a vega plug it's a moot point anyway.
Keep us up to date on the transformation. 

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: dillon14 on November 11, 2007, 05:09:11 PM
i couldnt get it to work either and it was aved in my favorites  god knows why ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on November 11, 2007, 04:59:59 PM
I think it was less about the quality of parts offered by the "D" word and more about the way they seem to thrive on taking an adversarial approach to most threads.

Well said. 

hotrod98

Quote from: 1968 Charger B5 on November 11, 2007, 04:32:32 PM
hey pal if i were you i would check out dayclona's stuff. i know of one person who has been very happy in the past using the parts.  hate to utter the "d" word in here though......

Haven't heard much out of Mike or Gary lately. Any idea what they're up to nowadays? Is Mike still building and selling parts? Curious minds want to know.

Charles Addams

A383Wing

I'm gonna put my  :Twocents: worth in here, even though I was not asked. I paid around $3,500 for all my 'glass Daytona parts from Janek in '96....(I did not get the window plug). Took a lot of work to get everything to fit as good as it does. I had already bought the parts from him and then found one of the real Nascar aluminum wings locally here, bought that wing and sold the glass one. I was very happy with the wing he made, but the rest of the parts, (ie., nosecone, Z-braces, lower valance, etc,) were really bad craftsmanship. The 'glass parts were warped and had poor finish. I'm not trying to turn this into a "bashing thread. Maybe his parts have changed since then, I don't know.

All I can say is, do yer homework and if ya gotta pay a bit more for quality clone parts, you won't be sorry later on.

Bryan  (shutting up now)   :-X

daytonalo

From my experiences ,he is the best we have right now !! I tried to order parts and he started preaching to me !!

dillon14

I'm still looking for the 70 Charger hood. I saw one in Canada for $400 plus $150 shipping. I hope I can do better than that somewhere else. Does anyone out there have any leads?  Thanks

1969 Boss 429

moparstuart

Quote from: daytonalo on November 12, 2007, 09:36:56 PM
From my experiences ,he is the best we have right now !! I tried to order parts and he started preaching to me !!
well larry you need saving   LOL

70charger_boy

Quote from: moparstuart on November 13, 2007, 09:24:34 AM
well larry you need saving   LOL

Ya think???????????    :icon_smile_big:

hotrod98

I agree to a point.
The Janek nose that Howie has is actually a pretty nice piece. The only problem with Janek is that he tends to make a lot of parts in fiberglass that shouldn't be made in fiberglass. The headlamp buckets, headlamp pivot brackets, z-braces and window plug are not going to hold up well in my opinion.  His front valances and latch trays both fit well, although I think that the latch tray should be steel.
His fender scoops are made of a resin product and are very nice. I like Howie's Janek wing enough that when he bought a new hollow aluminum wing, I bought his Janek wing without hesitation. It's already on my car.  :icon_smile_big:

I still need fender scoops, headlamp doors and a front valance. Anyone..anyone?

I'm going to have a "real" fab shop (long story) build the next batch of z-braces. Should be very affordable.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 13, 2007, 09:54:54 PM
I agree to a point.
The Janek nose that Howie has is actually a pretty nice piece. The only problem with Janek is that he tends to make a lot of parts in fiberglass that shouldn't be made in fiberglass. The headlamp buckets, headlamp pivot brackets, z-braces and window plug are not going to hold up well in my opinion.  His front valances and latch trays both fit well, although I think that the latch tray should be steel.
His fender scoops are made of a resin product and are very nice. I like Howie's Janek wing enough that when he bought a new hollow aluminum wing, I bought his Janek wing without hesitation. It's already on my car.  :icon_smile_big:

I still need fender scoops, headlamp doors and a front valance. Anyone..anyone?

I'm going to have a "real" fab shop (long story) build the next batch of z-braces. Should be very affordable.
what ever you get fabbed for the front and nose stuff put me down for that stuff also  ,  not doing the nose for a two to three years  but want to start collecting parts

hotrod98

I'm making a list.
Also...I should be making a new batch of wing braces real soon. I'll be sure and post something so that no one misses out.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 14, 2007, 05:59:01 PM
I'm making a list.
Also...I should be making a new batch of wing braces real soon. I'll be sure and post something so that no one misses out.
yes you know i need mine,but then you have to do the install so i know they will be extra nice  LOL

hotrod98

Wouldn't have it any other way.
My paint booth is shipping out tomorrow and should be here Monday. I had planned to drive to San Antonio to pick it up but my sister-in-law works for a truck line and managed to get it shipped to me for less than $300. I couldn't even buy the gas for that price. I'm getting real close to starting the resto projects. Can't wait.
I talked to my fiberglass guy yesterday and he said that he should have more time real soon to help me with the mold for the daytona nose. That was a surprise. I had all but blown that project off.  If it turns out nice, I may build a mold for the bird nose as well. We need more guys building more parts.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Charles Addams