News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedometer acting up

Started by 71charger_fan, March 19, 2006, 09:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71charger_fan

My speedometer started acting erratic yesterday and a grinding/scratching noise was coming from that general area. The needle was swinging all over. Does this sound like the speed or the cable? If it's the speedo, does anyone repair them? I'll probably replace the cable just on general principle but I hate to lose the original speedometer.

Ghoste

More likely to be the cable.  They need a little graphite shot down there once in a while to keep them lubed up.

71charger_fan

Can I use my grease gun and force some grease down the tube or does it have to be graphite? If so, how do you force that down the tube?

NHCharger

Does it sound like a rubbing noise coming from under the dash? That's what my 72 did when I took it out for a spin last month. Exact same thing happened with my 71. Grease will be to thick for the cable to spin freely enough. I just fixed mine Saturday. You have to remove the speedo cable from the car, the cable will only pull out of the sheathing from the gauge cluster end. I used WD-40 to clean it up, last time I used white lithium grease and I still had the rubbing noise. I just lubed the cable up with some WD-40 and have had no problem in 8 years. I haven't taken the 72 out since I fixed it so I can't verify that my lastest fix worked.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

71charger_fan

I didn't realize the cable part came out of the jacket. Thanks. I'll give it a try this weekend if it warms up a bit.

71charger_fan

I finally got a chance to look at the problem yesterday. The cable did not want to come out of the jacket. A pair of pliers and a good tug persuaded it. I did force a couple of pumps of grease into the jacket figuring I could always pull the whole thing out of the car and clean it out. I coated the cable with wheel bearing grease and put it back. It's working fine now. Thanks for the input.

NHCharger

Quote from: NHCharger on March 20, 2006, 07:07:19 PM
I haven't taken the 72 out since I fixed it so I can't verify that my lastest fix worked.
Finally got out for a ride today, yes it's fixed. I was actually going to PM you tonight. Glad to see your's was also an easy fix.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

73chgrSE

mines doing the same thing, must be contagious. Can you get to that cable without removing the instrument cluster?

Ghoste

Yes, you have to be a bit of a contortionist but it is connected to the back of your cluster.  You will have to reach up in there and unhook it at the top.  I'm not certain that the 73 is connected the same way (and if I'm wrong someone will wade in and guide you the right way) but you should be able to run your hand up to the cable until it gets to the cluster.  There you will find a threaded collar which you should be able to unscrew and pop the cable from the back of the speedo.

73chgrSE

My hands could barely get to it but I did and now it's working fine all the way up to 120. :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Theoretically up to 120, right?  Cuz I'm pretty sure that's waaaay over the speed limit everywhere and I know Charger owners would never advocate breaking the law.  :rofl:

73chgrSE

As far as I know privately owned roads have no official speed limit. :coolgleamA:

Ghoste

Just ribbing you a little anyway.  I'm glad your speedo is working.  :cheers:

73chgrSE

Seriously though, drive safe everyone.