News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what could be wrong when oil pressure is like 20

Started by CB, August 21, 2005, 11:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

the oil pressure gauge shows 20 as pressurewhen it idles.
what is it telling?   Normal Oil Pressure should be around  45-65 ???
thanks
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Ghoste

It could be many things.  First I would check the oil level, then I would check the sender and grounds.  How hot is it when this happens, what is the pressure at higher rpms?  20 at idle is low but it isn't necessarily a death knell yet.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

CB

I noticed a low oil level.
Also low end power is  :ahum:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Runner

if the engine is warm, and it goes up when you bring the rpm up i wouldnt give it a second thought.   if your running a fram filter try a better filter like a wix or baldwin ext. also what weight oil are you runng?. 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

69bananabeast

So what is oil press. suppose to actually be at ? for me Idle would be I think around 50 and once i got to higher rpms it would be around 80.  A friend told me that it was too high  ???
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

BigBlockSam

QuoteSo what is oil press. suppose to actually be at ? for me Idle would be I think around 50 and once i got to higher rpms it would be around 80.  A friend told me that it was too high     

sounds rite to me if you have a hp pump
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Runner

a real general rule is you should have at LEAST 10 psi for every 1000 rpm.      aslo  what kind- brand gauge are yuo using.   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

CB

I am trying to keep the Charger on the road for a couple of months. In the winter I will propably switch over to a freshly rebuild 440 and replace some electric stuff and redo some gauges.

Just wanting to know if I can make it till the end of cruising season.  ^-^
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Ghoste

Probably.  You still haven't mentioned oil weight or what the pressure is at cruising rpms and operating temperature.

CB

mmm let's see
the weight, I am afraid, can't be determined.
the pressure gauge keeps pointing to 20-25
temperature gauge is MIA

damn, I need some things done first  :-\
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Ghoste

So no matter what speed you're driving, the pressure guage stays at 20-25?

69bananabeast

Quote from: BigBlockSam on August 21, 2005, 01:45:34 PM
QuoteSo what is oil press. suppose to actually be at ? for me Idle would be I think around 50 and once i got to higher rpms it would be around 80.  A friend told me that it was too high     

sounds rite to me if you have a hp pump

Im not sure if it has it or not . It is possible thought . Since I bought the car havent swapped any parts but the carb.  I was told this 318 was built for racing  and has a bunch of aftermarket and 360 parts .  I think a normal 318 runs about a 19 or 20   1/4   , Though this one on a perfect day could run mid 16's
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

JimShine

My car has low oil pressire. I was told it was the rings, but I burn no oil at all, the thing may smoke a little if it sits for a week and I start it up, but thats it. I think my oil pump is to blame. By reccomendation of this board, I stepped my oil weight up and its fine for now. When the pressure drops after driving an hour or so on a hot day, I throw it in neutral while cruising to a stop light to keep the pressure up.

firefighter3931

Change the oil and filter. Use Shell Rotella-T 15/40 diesel oil and a wix or purolator filter. That will bring your oil pressure up, especially at idle when the engine is at operating temperature. It worked for Jimshine.   :thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

8WHEELER

Over the years I have found out that running 20-25lbs of oil pressure at hot
idle will not hurt anything, as soon as it comes up to a RPM it should jump
to 60-80psi that is plenty. Bad rings will NOT lower your oil pressure unless
you run out of oil in the pan.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

BigBlockSam

when you let your car sit and then it smokes at start up. that usaully means bad valve seals.

cudaken

For a street engine, 20 pounds should be fine. One thing, have you can a oil pressure gauge on the engine or are you going by what is on the dsah? If just dash, go a head and check it with a gauge. With the age of are car's to say tjhe electiral parts don't work just right is a understament. By Charger was olny showing 20 PSI on the dash but when I tested it, was 30 at idel.

Cuda Ken
I am back

JimShine

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 22, 2005, 01:25:49 AM
Change the oil and filter. Use Shell Rotella-T 15/40 diesel oil and a wix or purolator filter. That will bring your oil pressure up, especially at idle when the engine is at operating temperature. It worked for Jimshine.   :thumbs:

Ron

Update on my situation. This past week I changed my oil pump to a Melling High Volume. I can run 10-30 now and get the performance of the Rotella. I am thinking I may run heavier grade oil just to get a little extra pressure and since switching to a thinner grade of oil, I found a couple of new leaks around the valve cover gaskets.

Another item learned is check your oil for fuel. Your carb can allow fuel to get into your oil, thin it out and drop your oil pressure.

Chryco Psycho

make sure the bypass valve &  spring is not sticking also