News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chargers in the Canyon: DC.com Meet & Greet - Who is Interested?

Started by TexasStroker, February 10, 2015, 02:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

I don't know if this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've thrown this out there, but regardless...why not do it again?

This October will be the 7th Year for Chryslers in the Canyon...an all Mopar show I put on in Palo Duro Canyon State Park (think the Grand Canyon of Texas).  Every year with that CIC post I make in the "Upcoming Events" section I always mention how I'd like to see more Chargers and do a "Chargers in the Canyon" (much better ring don't you think?).  This would literally be ALL DODGE CHARGER 66-74 with whatever other contingent might be interested.

I missed out on ever getting to go to Boerne...I literally had it planned out and then found it wasn't happening.  The thing that always struck me about that is so many cars from the northeast, midwest, and west coast would drive to Boerne (think San Antonio if you are unfamiliar).  It kind of served not only as a nice GTG, but bragging rights for long haulers.  I've noticed thru the years how people always say they miss that event and wish there was something "closer to home" (ie not PA/OH).  I've been to MATS and seen a nice turnout of Chargers, but it again is more of a west coast turnout.

Palo Duro Canyon is located just southeast of Amarillo, Texas and obviously, for those coming in from the midwest and northeast, this would cut your drive time down a bit, lol.  Amarillo is on I40 and Route 66 for those looking for that experience.  This past year we had a guy and his wife drive their 70 Superbee down Route 66 from Springfield, Missouri and they had a blast.

My thoughts are along these lines:
-Chargerize the Cadillac Ranch (HEMI Orange paint, decals etc).  This is a great photo-op for your whole family and the Charger nameplate
-Cruising: For those interested in driving Amarillo is a "big" city, but still has traffic flow like a smaller town...This means you can actually drive and enjoy it.  There are also plenty of desolate farm-to-market roads that run flat from horizon to horizon (although I don't know what anyone would want with those  ;)).
-Show/GTG in the Canyon: I can guarantee these will be some of the best pictures you'll have of your car and a great experience driving into and out of the canyon!
-Dinner at the Big Texan: Pretty self explanatory...

Assuming this falls in the Summer/Fall we could also add:
-Amarillo Dragway: For those so inclined

Basically I want this to be an awesome time for Charger owners and their families and something that those who attend, will make an annual escape.  In turn, each year it will grow and we'll have more fun.  I have zero interest in making money...I do all of this stuff for the cars.  I'm more inclined just to have a GTG and let everyone enjoy the cars, check them out, shoot the breeze, and make new friends etc.  If people want it, we can do awards, but I'd be more inclined to just keep it to a "Long Hauler" imo if you drive 1500 miles you need to be recognized.

I think something better suited than awards would be a T-Shirt.  If you want it, great...if not, no big deal.  We could always make the shirts double as the trophy letting those in attendance pick their favorite car to be featured on the next shirt etc.

For those "performance minded" folks whatever you want at the track we could set up.  If you want a full on All Dodge Charger bracket race, we can make it happen.  You can set your own buy ins and payouts etc, or we can just recognize the Quickest Stock and Quickest Modified etc.

When I travel and people find out I'm from Amarillo, the #1 question I get (after if I ride a horse to work) is if I've ever eaten "x" from "y" restaurant because they saw it on "z" tv show etc.  Myself and a few others would gladly lead folks around to whatever restaurants you want.

We also have the Panhandle Plains Historic Museum if that is up your alley....And very easy to access shops to keep the wife/daughter tandems happy.

Amarillo isn't exactly the #1 tourist destination in the world, but it makes for a pretty enjoyable and affordable get away.  I can get a pro photographer to be on site for pictures, I'll video the whole thing, and I honestly think if enough people would give it a shot it could turn into a great time.  Chryslers in the Canyon has grown every year and we are now pulling in cars roughly 12-15 hours in every direction.  Those folks wouldn't come back with friends every year if they didn't enjoy it!

I'm not really looking for "sounds great, but do it in Arizona/Atlanta/St. Louis/Houston" etc feedback.  I am where I am and I can do far more to advance the cause here. 

I am looking for people that would actually be willing to drive/trailer/get their Chargers here for a good time.  No entry fee, no registration fee, no gold standard snubs...I just want people to have a good time and something to look forward to with their Chargers.

If this interests you, please let me know.  I've got a great relationship with the folks at Palo Duro Canyon and they would love to see a string of Chargers roll in  :2thumbs:

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!