News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what torque converter?

Started by AWSOM50, July 19, 2007, 01:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWSOM50

I'm wondering what stall speed torque converter you guys would recommend for the following setup, and also what brand?:

440 with 493 stroker crank
590 mopar cam
iron heads
3.23 gears
26" tyres

or could I get away with the stock converter?

Many thanks
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

deputycrawford

I have to put my two cents in. The .590 cam has worked well in some combos but it is very old technology. You might ask others here about other cams. I use a custom built Engle cam. It was only around $40 more and it was still at my door a few days later than an off the shelf grind. Comp cams makes a high lift series, Ultradyne, Hughes...etc. when you choose what company to make you one, just ask them what converter goes well with that cam. They will let you know on the spot.
     I use a custom ordered Dynamic converter. Its a 9 1/2 inch 3500 stall converter. It feels just like stock until you need it to flash. I leave a light at around 1800 rpm's until I would stuff it. Just have fun with the research and spend the money for the good stuff. You will most likely never spend it again. I bought a 10' MP converter and had to buy twice. I learned my lesson.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

deputycrawford

I'll go ahead and post again answering your specific question. I don't think a stock converter will work with a .590 cam in any situation. The duration is too long and the lobe center is too narrow. A stroker kit will eat duration pretty fast but I think the lobe center will never permit the stock converter. Chryco, Firefighter, and others will have better suggestions.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

AWSOM50

hi, thank you for the reply.  Sorry, I have been away for a while.

The engine is already built with a .590 mopar mechanical cam now, I can change it in the future but this engine was a winner when it was last built and I intend to stick to it unless something changes.

Anyone got a specific recommendation on the converter?

Thank you
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

firefighter3931

That's a pretty big cam....even for 493 cubic inches.  ;) I would be looking at a PTC 9.5in converter for that combination. The stock converter is waaaaay too tight for that type of build.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bigugly

depending on how much you want to spend jegs sells prostreet /race converters 3500 street/strip 
4000 competion converter $600 the street strip converter costs $520 good luck .

AWSOM50

'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

firefighter3931

Quote from: AWSOM50 on August 18, 2007, 03:02:59 AM
thanks,

what about this one?

http://www.ptcrace.com/torque-converter-p-1253.html

Yep, that's the one  :2thumbs:

Get a B&M sfi flexplate when you order the converter.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

Same cam in a 451 with Eddy heads, 3200 converter and 1 7/8 hookers with full exhaust and you could not put the tranny in gear without the motor stalling..  :eek2:

Where is that LINKY to VegasMike's dyno sheet??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

AWSOM50

Ron (or anyone else),

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=flexplate&N=700+4294908110+115+400004&rsview=sku&Ns=P%5FSRE%5FDisplayPrice%7C0&Ntk=KeywordSearch

Which flex plate should I be getting?

I'm guessing part 10237 but just want to make sure.

Steve P,
What did you do with the cam in the end, swap it out?  I know .590 is a huge cam and I may end up swapping it.
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

firefighter3931

Quote from: AWSOM50 on August 21, 2007, 02:53:31 PM
Ron (or anyone else),

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=flexplate&N=700+4294908110+115+400004&rsview=sku&Ns=P%5FSRE%5FDisplayPrice%7C0&Ntk=KeywordSearch

Which flex plate should I be getting?

I'm guessing part 10237 but just want to make sure.

Steve P,
What did you do with the cam in the end, swap it out?  I know .590 is a huge cam and I may end up swapping it.

Awesome,

you want the 10230 because your engine is an internal balance build.  ;) The 10237 is for a cast crank motor....won't work.

Make sure you have a 6 bolt flange on your crank because they come in both 6 & 8 bolt flanges so you want to order the right part the first time. When you order up the converter it should have larger lugs with bigger bolts....order the matching converter > flexplate bolts at the same time....the existing crank > flexplate bolts will be fine with the B&M plate. The B&M flexplate has multiple bolt patterns so it will bolt up to any aftermarket converter...no worries.  :yesnod:

The 590 was pulled and replaced with a Comp Extreme Energy flat tappet solid. The profile # is SX282S and is much better suited to a pump gas 446. There is lots of good info on the Vegas Mike thread with before/after dyno numbers. The engine really responded well to that cam profile along with some other changes that were made when the combo was tweaked.  :2thumbs:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6000.0.html

Ron

Joshs68

I have that cam in a 400 based 474. the cubes really tame it down.  My car idles at 1000rpm with a nice lope. however it is not a huge lope. I have a four speed so I cant help in the stall dept. I know about the other cam swap thread that made more h.p. anyway that cam wont like 3.23 gears. and it needs compression. It is an old school cam, it needs an old school build. compression, big exhaust, big carb. I am happy with mine. but It is 10.5/1 zero deck. aluminum heads. M1 single plane with a 1050 and 2" TTi step headers.
here is a you tube vid. it is idleing at 1500 prm in the video. still set high for the break in. I dont have any video of it at 1000rpm. Dam snow!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzsQ0qMYTQQ