News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone had a sunroof added to a new car?

Started by chargermick, October 01, 2005, 05:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargermick

We're looking at a new Pacifica, and the wife really wants a sunroof. I know that in years past the aftermarket sunroofs almost always leaked. If this is still true, i don't want to take a chance on it. Has anyone had any experience with this, good or bad?

BigBlackDodge

Get a new one that has a factory sunroof installed already....?

BBD

kab69440

I had Ziebart put a pop-up in my Ranger in 1990. No problems whatsoever. Occasionally, if the gasket got dusty, it would leak a bit. Take out the glass, clean the gasket and ArmourAll it, good to go for another half a year.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Old Moparz

The problem I found trying to get a car with a factory installed sunroof, is the "packages" of options you're forced to buy in order to get it. Most car companies do this, but the worst was Nissan I believe. To get the sunroof, 3 sets of packages that totalled $7000 must be ordered.

The Convenience Package* with other options besides the sunroof like CD changer, heated seats, etc.
(* = Must order the "Preferred Seating Package** with third row seat, cup holders etc.)
(** = Must order "Leather Seating***" package)
(*** = only available with top of the line model.)

My wife wanted a sunroof too, but not at $7000 worth of options we didn't want or need. We also definitely didn't want an add on roof cut in later. I don't know if they are better than they used to be, but I would say the installer will make the biggest difference. Will they treat the cut area of metal by painting & sealing it? Will the headliner be as nice after? I can also guarantee it won't be recessed into the roof & have rain gutters, channels & drain tubes.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Chargen69

I had a sunroof added to my wife's brand new Camry, the dealer used a company out of Charlotte , NC everything was great except they forgot to pull open the drain lines under the front fender, so, next rain, bad news.  Once they opened the drain lines, everything thing has been good.

If I had gotten the factory sunroof, the warrenty runs out when the bumper to bumper warrrenty is over.

Cool thing about what we did, this aftermarket roof has a lifetime warrenty against leaks, and once a year I can go get the drain lines cleaned for free, couldnt say that about a factory roof.

Jonathan

ramit

I think there are plenty of places that can put a good sunroof in a new car.  You just can't go for the $400 pop up style.  You need to to go for a nice $1500 power sunroof from a place that specializes in that stuff.