News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

disc brake conversion help

Started by 1968_Charger, December 27, 2007, 10:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

im getting ready to do the brake conversion on the front of my car, im pretty good with turning wrenches as long as i have instructions, so my question is how long would it normally take to do the front to discs and also install new bushings, ball joints pitman and idler arm and shocks?
basically redoing the entire front suspension except the t bars.
    also anyone have a link to a good step by step on the conversion, ive searched and havent found a good set of instructions to do it. im concerned with tension on parts of the suspension (t bars etc.) when i start taking things apart
any help would be great thanks

charger Downunder

Havent done the disc conversion as my car has discs, i did the front end years ago,However long you think it will take double it,get a service manual it will have torque specs,time will depend on how much detail you want to put in,Dont mix up the sides left and right keep them seperate,better still do one side at a time so you can use the other side for a refferance.Have fun its a shit of a job to do.
[/quote]

1968_Charger

when i tear apart the suspension will i have to release any tension on the tbars if im not changing them? also are there any special tools i will need?

Ghoste

If you are changing the spindles, you will definitely have to loosen the torsion bar.  All of the torsion bars' spring force is acting upon that lower control arm and it is under tension.

NMike

i left the tension in the bars when i did mine.

i had a floorjack under the lower control arm.

i loosened off the balljoint nuts so they wer only on a couple of turns.

then lowered the jack so it was just touching the lower arm, tapped the upper end of the knuckle with a hammer. the tension from the bar helped pop out the balljoint. lowered the jack again untill the control arm just touched and did the same to the lower joint.

then jacked up the lower arm a few pumps to relieve the tension and removed the knuckles and joints.

Ghoste

To each his own but I'd sooner take the pressure off the arm and drive the ball joints apart with a pickle fork.

1968_Charger

ive never messed with the tbars, how do i let off the tension, and once  im done will i be able to tighten them back?

Ghoste

If you look at the underside of the lower control arm, you will see a space between the two outer walls of the arm itself and within that space will be a large capscrew head.  If you turn that screw you will loosen the t-bars.  Tightening them is just the reverse and after you change everything over the front end will need to be realigned anyway and the tension on the torsion bar is a key part of setting ride height and that is a necessary part of Mopar front end alignment.

Shakey

Quote from: 1968_Charger on December 27, 2007, 10:38:01 PM
    im getting ready to do the brake conversion on the front of my car, im pretty good with turning wrenches as long as i have instructions, so my question is how long would it normally take to do the front to discs and also install new bushings, ball joints pitman and idler arm and shocks?
basically redoing the entire front suspension except the t bars.
    also anyone have a link to a good step by step on the conversion, ive searched and havent found a good set of instructions to do it. im concerned with tension on parts of the suspension (t bars etc.) when i start taking things apart
any help would be great thanks

Took me about three months or so.  Look for steering and suspension rebuild for some pics of the parts and the install.

1968_Charger

Quote from: Ghoste on December 28, 2007, 10:56:37 AM
If you look at the underside of the lower control arm, you will see a space between the two outer walls of the arm itself and within that space will be a large capscrew head. If you turn that screw you will loosen the t-bars. Tightening them is just the reverse and after you change everything over the front end will need to be realigned anyway and the tension on the torsion bar is a key part of setting ride height and that is a necessary part of Mopar front end alignment.

so after i losen them, im good to put all the new stuff in? also if i get it aligned they should readjust the tbars as part of the alignment?
are there any special tools i will need to do this rebuild? ball joint socket and fork i know about. anything else?

Ghoste

You should be good to go.  I would probably tighten them up somewhat before taking it into the alignment but yes, if they are a good shop and they know old Mopars, it's imperative to adjust ride height as part of the alignment.  The whole thing works together on the old Chryslers.  I'm pretty sure a lot of the fsm pages have already been posted here someplace outlining the details.
I can't think of any other special tools off the top of my head but I also have a feeling I'm forgetting something. :brickwall: :scratchchin:

68charger383

Take some detailed pics as you go along with your project to post for the next guy.  :popcrn:

Thanks,

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

1968_Charger

thanks for the great info guys, so basically i loosen the tbars and the rest i should be albe to do by following the instructions that came with the kit. by the way i bought that new jegs kit incase anyone was wondering. ill let you guys know how it turns out once im finished. :2thumbs: