News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct location for hood pins on '69 Daytona?

Started by NYCMille, December 28, 2007, 01:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

Hey guys -

Once again I have another Daytona question - can anyone provide me with some pics of the hood pins on a Daytona both with the hood closed and opened. I need to see where under hood they mount as well as the actual holes through the hood.

As always thank you - Mike

PocketThunder

A '70 Daytona from http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,24781.msg270959.html#msg270959

thanks Geno for posting the pictures in that thread before the link was disabled.

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

This might be of interest to you also Mike..  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,18911.0.html

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about Daytona hoods.. with out any hood pin pictures though  :brickwall:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8213.0.html

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemigeno

Mike, the hood pin location is pretty much the same as any '70 Charger - it goes right through the center of the hole that is present on the underneath side of every '70 Charger hood.

There is an engineering graphic I got from Vance Cummins a while back which shows the mounting location, but I do not have the time to find, scan & post it at the moment.  Maybe this afternoon when the phone stops ringing here at work...   :brickwall:  However, that drawing does not correctly show the hood pin bezel mounting configuration, which should be a "+" for most every Daytona rather than a square pattern (there are probably exceptions, but the vast majority had a "+" arrangement).

More later...

NYCMille

This is great... thanks so much.

I'll try and post some progress pics soon - probably within' a week or so.
:cheers:

hemigeno

In lieu of finding that blasted drawing (which I specifically remember showed a locating template that we don't have access to anyway), here are a few pictures:

NYCMille

Geno - THESE ARE PERFECT!!

thanks so much for taking the time to dig these up for me.

Have a great New Year man - Mike

Daytona R/T SE

Here's a couple of pics I snapped at Monster Mopar Weekend a year or two ago...Hope these help...

daytonalo

Hey guy's , I was always curious if the cables ever get in the Jamb area when closing hood ?? I know this is hard to believe , but I'm not an Idiot , but always thought there has to be that one time !!!

UFO

This was in mopar muscle? or mopar action? one of them anyway.
Using the pics already posted are the best way to go.

nascarxx29

Had these from my old daytona part number #3549611 for the daytona and superbird parts book description lock package.With similar instructions shown above

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

pettybird

Quote from: daytonalo on December 28, 2007, 06:54:45 PM
Hey guy's , I was always curious if the cables ever get in the Jamb area when closing hood ?? I know this is hard to believe , but I'm not an Idiot , but always thought there has to be that one time !!!

If there is a place for either the pins or lanyards to get stuck, you will find them there.  that 'one time' theory happens a lot more frequently.

For instance: headlights up, start car, turn headlights on, grab pins from headlight bucket. 

hemigeno

Quote from: NYCMille on December 28, 2007, 06:13:34 PM
Geno - THESE ARE PERFECT!!

thanks so much for taking the time to dig these up for me.

Have a great New Year man - Mike

No problem, Mike - Happy New Year to you as well!   :cheers:

Just to be clear, the lanyard is normally attached the way it shows in Chris/DaytonaRTSE's pictures - where the pin goes from front to back.  For whatever reason, Jim's (3--Daytona) F5 survivor Daytona has the pin rotated 90 degrees so that it goes from side to side as you can see in the first picture I posted.  Normally, they're just like the pictures Chris took at MMW.  No big deal really, just put 'em on however you'd like - there's an exception for every rule it seems.

Also, Brian/UFO posted the exact engineering graphic I was going to search for.  Thanks!  It's a little hard to read from that scan, but they used a locating template to mark and drill the holes for the hood pin bezels.  It's doubtful that anyone has an original template, so the diagram is not nearly as useful to us now since it gives no locating dimensions.

I've seen Daytona owners using longer lanyards and attaching the end to the radiator yoke.  At least that way, the hood pins don't flop around when the hood gets raised.  Hadn't thought about the pins getting caught up in the headlight buckets though like Pettybird mentioned...  Sounds like the voice of experience there!  :'(

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Are you wanting a larger version of the graphic posted?

471_Magnum

Quote from: NYCMille on December 28, 2007, 05:13:50 PM
This is great... thanks so much.

I'll try and post some progress pics soon - probably within' a week or so.
:cheers:

I'm anxious to see it, but obviously it will be with some mixed emotion.

BTW, still no takers on the 383, and the transmission still sits waiting for a crate. S'pose I ought to work on that.  ::)
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

C_stripes

I just took a whole bunch of pics of my friends 40K orig mile unrestored daytona.  The bezels are off so you can see the size of the hole.  I hope these help some of you.  If you need any other pics for reference.  Let me know,        Jeremy

I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

C_stripes

more

Note how the screws were in no particular pattern

The hole is a 1" hole

C_stripes

Hood latch.

It took a few seconds to find the hood safety latch because I could not find the leaver. Once I found it. There was no handle. I looked to see were it had broke off and it does not appear to be broke.  Like I said.  This is a 40 k car that has never been restored. It has had one poor repaint but is a very nice orig car. So I hope these pics are accurate and will be of help to everyone,

Jeremy

johntpr

That's correct..there is no handle on the latches....

Mike I'm just north of Tappan zee if you ever need to look at a car for reference

John

69_500

That engine compartment looks familiar to me. 'Does that car have a white tail stripe that the letters appear to be too high up on the body? Where the word "Daytona" is a little above the body line?

C_stripes

yes,  Also a white int. 440 console 4spd dana car.  He had it at mopars at the strip a few years ago. Is that were you saw it?

BigBlockSam

thanks Jeremy , i put all those pis in my file . Rene