News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Roller cam for 505

Started by allkiller, December 31, 2007, 03:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allkiller

Ron,
Thanks again, bit of a learning curve this stroker....the cam you suggest, i looked at on the Comp Cams Master catalog but is that lobe designed for a .875 lifter ?
using a mopar .904 lifter how does it affect it,   ramp speed/ duration ?

Do the MM Lobes work better ?  this was about as near to yours i could get using the .904 lifter lobe...quite a bit more lift though
6589/6590 I/E   271/275 @.50  627/639 lift w 1.5RR
:shruggy:
Is this way out ?
steve
ALLKILLER, NO FILLER

firefighter3931

Quote from: allkiller on January 11, 2008, 11:04:57 AM
Ron,
Thanks again, bit of a learning curve this stroker....the cam you suggest, i looked at on the Comp Cams Master catalog but is that lobe designed for a .875 lifter ?
using a mopar .904 lifter how does it affect it,   ramp speed/ duration ?

Do the MM Lobes work better ?  this was about as near to yours i could get using the .904 lifter lobe...quite a bit more lift though
6589/6590 I/E   271/275 @.50  627/639 lift w 1.5RR
:shruggy:
Is this way out ?
steve

The SQ lobes are indeed an "agressive".875 lifter profile and they work fantastic. With a stock block running unbushed lifter bores on the street these are safer. The MM lobes are on the ragged edge and the lifter geometry needs to be spot on or you will wipe the cam. The MM lobes are very very agressive and don't like to be run at low speeds idleing and in traffic. I would use them only in a pure race build with a bushed (lifter bore) block that has had the lifter bores squared up perfectly.  :Twocents:

They will make a little more power but the downside can be quite substantial in the event of a failure.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

allkiller

:eek2: Ok the block has squared and bushed lifter bores but Im not gonna risk it then  :eek2:
Thanks Ron

Bob any specs yet  :2thumbs:
ALLKILLER, NO FILLER

allkiller

Bob, you ve left me  :'(

stayin tuned though, any thoughts on Rons choice ?

302/304 advertised
272/275@.050
187/189@.200
.600/.600 lift@1.5:1 RR
110* lsa
installed on 106
ALLKILLER, NO FILLER

allkiller

ALLKILLER, NO FILLER

Animal

:icon_smile_big:

Sorry to laugh Steve , maybe Bobs gone away for a month.

:popcrn:

allkiller

Think your right Adam....i ve beeen Macarooned :lol:
With only the Bumpstick to go .....im patient though, slowly, slowly, catchy monkey  :2thumbs:
ALLKILLER, NO FILLER

Streetwize

you didn't mention a stall but assuming it's a 9" with ~42-4500 stall I'd be looking at around a 274/278 @.050 with about .700I/.670E lift, 110 centers in at 106.

I have a comparable Hydraluic roller with a little less net lift in my 517 low deck with the killer CNC 370+ cfm Chapman MW heads and it's a BEAST but it has suprisingly good street manners in a 3700 pound 70 Charger. Won't get to the track until spring but I'm chomping at the bitt to get her there.
Wize

www.StreetwizePerformance.com

allkiller

Mr Wise...its a 10" JW 3800 stall...will be more behind the stroker though

Is the cam you mentioned flat tappet ?? as ive been instructed thats the way for a occasional street duty car.
Its considerable more lift than Ron suggested
Thanks Steve 
ALLKILLER, NO FILLER

Streetwize

You said a roller, no?

I'm assuming a 1.6 set of rockers, wouldn't make much sense to run a big flowing head with 1.5 rockers. So at .700 that would be a lobe of around .438 or about .657 with a 1.5 rocker.

You generally want about .050 more lift than your target flow point in the head but it's less critical with a roller lobe.

You said mostly track, occasional street so the choice is a little more aggressive.
Wize

www.StreetwizePerformance.com

allkiller

Flat tappet is what im going for.

My rockers are 1.5 Indy rockers.

Are you looking at roller cams ? Im not going that route now.
what do you suggest flat tappet..with the set up
This motor is all new to me, compared to my little 383 and old school tried and tested methods
thanks
ALLKILLER, NO FILLER

allkiller

Still waiting for that Bumpstick recommendation Guys
Ive been patient  :cheers:
ALLKILLER, NO FILLER

firefighter3931

Quote from: allkiller on October 11, 2008, 02:40:32 AM
Still waiting for that Bumpstick recommendation Guys
Ive been patient  :cheers:

I would use the SQ custom cam from page 1 of this thread.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs