News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hi-Temp Header paint

Started by Captain D, January 04, 2008, 01:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi,

I have new headers in a nice silver finish. Unfortunately, a friend of mine accidentaly put some descent scratches on the one side. So, I thought that I would post a question if anyone knows of some good high temp paint, in a high silver finish, that I perhaps could use to help cover up some of those scratches.

I have some catalogs from the Eastwood Company. I noticed that they sell high temp paint in a silver shade. However, before I purchase a can at $15 + shipping a pop, does anyone have any experiences with this? Is it a dull silver finish or a higher gloss-like finish? Any other recommendations other than the Eastwood Company product?

Thank you for any responses,
Aaron

Silver R/T

All that "high temp" is crap. It might last a week or two at the best, eventually it'll burn off. Get them ceramic coated, better do it right first time around.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

That's pretty much been my experience too.  Paint will always burn off sooner or later.

resq302

I have had excellent results with VHT Nu Cast cast iron paint for exhaust manifolds.  Claims they are good up to 1500-2000 degrees.  Mine have not yet rusted or peeled.  The only thing that I have noticed is that they have a slight bronze tint to them now with some areas of white spots in the paint.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Captain D

Thank you fellas for the responses. I called the place that I bought the headers. They suggested using very fine sandpaper & buff it with a very fine brillo pad. I tested this one a small scratched area with fairly descent results. I agree with your responses...to do it right, it pays to have it re-coated perhaps.

Thank you,
Aaron

bull

You can also get high temp powder coatings too, but by the time you're done screwing around you might as well just go with ceramic.