News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which goes back on first, the grille or the bumper?

Started by bull, January 04, 2008, 11:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

It's time to start piecing a few things back together and I'm wondering which should go on first, the bumper or the grille? Or does it matter?

440charger68

grille first im pretty sure, it might depend on what year it is.
life's a garden, dig it.

Charger-Bodie

Some people do this in a differant order but I go: 1Grille 2Bumper then 3valence .................did you get youre Charger painted Bull?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 04, 2008, 12:03:59 PM
Some people do this in a differant order but I go: 1Grille 2Bumper then 3valence .................did you get youre Charger painted Bull?
:yesnod: They are pretty close to being done and are offering to put the bumpers on for me but I'm not done with the grille yet. I hate to turn down their offer but I don't want to screw myself and have to take the bumper off later... not that it's a big deal. I'll get some pictures up when she's a little more presentable.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on January 04, 2008, 03:27:37 PM
Some people do this in a differant order but I go: 1Grille 2Bumper then 3valence .................did you get you're Charger painted Bull?
:yesnod: They are pretty close to being done and are offering to put the bumpers on for me but I'm not done with the grille yet. I hate to turn down their offer but I don't want to screw myself and have to take the bumper off later... not that it's a big deal. I'll get some pictures up when she's a little more presentable.

EXCELLENT Bull!!!! glad to hear you're making progress!!! I for one look forward to some pics!!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

bull

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 04, 2008, 03:43:52 PM
Some people do this in a differant order but I go: 1Grille 2Bumper then 3valence .................did you get you're Charger painted Bull?

EXCELLENT Bull!!!! glad to hear you're making progress!!! I for one look forward to some pics!!!

It may not be all that exciting to you. I mean, you see pretty much the same thing every day in your shop. :icon_smile_big: Well, except yours is in one piece.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on January 04, 2008, 05:52:55 PM
Quote from: 1hot68 on January 04, 2008, 03:43:52 PM

It may not be all that exciting to you. I mean, you see pretty much the same thing every day in your shop. :icon_smile_big: Well, except yours is in one piece.

Bull ,Its always exiting to me to see a Charger come together!!! ..........no matter whos it is! :yesnod: Im just happy for you that you are at that point :2thumbs:

Silver R/T

after all these years of owning a Charger I thought you'd know better...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 04, 2008, 07:39:13 PM

Know better than what? To paint it? You should try it someday, Silver. :slap:

Anyway, for those without their noggin' up their keester, there's no way of getting the grill on before the bumper but what about just the brackets?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on January 04, 2008, 10:04:53 PM

Anyway, for those without their noggin' up their keester, there's no way of getting the grill on before the bumper but what about just the brackets?

Huh??

bull

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 04, 2008, 10:09:21 PM

Huh??

You know, the front bumper brackets that hold the bumper up. Can you install the grill with those in place?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on January 04, 2008, 10:29:53 PM

Huh??

You know, the front bumper brackets that hold the bumper up. Can you install the grill with those in place?

Yes you can But I highly recommend installing the bumper loosely assembled ( brackets and bumper together with the bolts to the brackets just tight enuf that you can slide it) otherwise the bolts can be hard to start.  :Twocents:

bull

I kind of figured that. I'll just have them leave it off. I don't need that stuff in the way right now anyway.

Shakey

My valance was already installed when I got the car.  Then the bumper went on and a number of months after that the grille went in.  I had no problems, at least that I can remember.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bull

Quote from: Shakey on January 05, 2008, 08:55:50 AM
My valance was already installed when I got the car.  Then the bumper went on and a number of months after that the grille went in.  I had no problems, at least that I can remember.

Quote from: tan top on January 05, 2008, 09:01:11 AM
done mine Grill ,bumper then valence :yesnod:

Isn't it tough to get the lower grille corners inside the ends of the bumper?

Shakey

Quote from: bull on January 05, 2008, 06:48:48 PM

I had the bumper on, but loose enough to move around, plus I only had to worry about one corner -  :eek2:

bull

Quote from: Shakey on January 05, 2008, 07:36:54 PM
Quote from: bull on January 05, 2008, 06:48:48 PM

I had the bumper on, but loose enough to move around, plus I only had to worry about one corner -  :eek2:

What! Only one corner? Doesn't that just bug the hell out of an OCD guy knowing there's a broken corner under there? ;D

bill440rt

Hey Bull,
It's easiest to install the grille with the header panel, headlight door linkages, etc all as one unit. Bolt it up to the car & get your end gaps even with the fender grille openings. Then tighten it up.
Then, take some blue painter's masking tape (the low-stick kind), & run a few strips along the lower edge of the grille. Do the same taping on the front bumper. Slide the front bumper back with the brackets installed over the frame rails, & loosely install the bolts. Have a helper align the bumper while you tighten the bolts.
Then, install the valence panel from underneath.

:2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Silver R/T

Quote from: bull on January 04, 2008, 10:29:53 PM

Huh??

I was able to pull out my grille off with those on there, you just have to be careful, get another person to help you.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722