News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flat black tail panel on a black '68?

Started by bull, January 11, 2008, 07:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I've seen black '68s with all gloss on the tail panel and I've seen them with flat black in the center of the tail panel like all the other colors. Two questions for you in light of that: 1) Did the factory do flat black tail panels on the black 2nd gens (I think it did)? and 2) Which do you prefer?

histoy

Our black '68 was finished with a dull black tail panel, and I think it looks great that way. 

Charger-Bodie

Bull , Flat black all the way!! no question in my mind! the moldings just look funny if they arent dividing color or at least gloss levels  :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

You guys are right. After thinking it over for a few hours I think it just looks better with more contrast back there. Looks to me like they shot it gloss so I'm going to have to tell them about it.

six-tee-nine

Yep it's supposed to be flat. And I totally agree with 1HOT68 here.

BTW here's a pic of a red 68, you can see the flat black better here.

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

NorwayCharger

I think they look best with the black satin rear ;)
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

bull

Ok, now I'm a little screwed up after seeing the pictures. What area gets the flat/satin black? How do you determine the border?

1969chargerrtse

My rear was done wrong, the stripe is painted and not V'd to the trunk, and the rear is gloss.  I know it's wrong and I may reshoot it, but gloss don't look half bad.  ;)
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

daytonalo

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on January 12, 2008, 06:57:26 AM
Ok, now I'm a little screwed up after seeing the pictures. What area gets the flat/satin black? How do you determine the border?

Bull, the moldings on a 68 tail panel are the break point for the flat (satin) black. you need to take them the moldings ,have then set in place and used as a guide to mask it, remove them , finish masking , then spray it

Also don't be too hard on them for painting it gloss it should be painted with body color first anyway for better corrosion resistance.  :Twocents:

And one more thing, That red 68 up a few has its tail panel painted completely wrong . only 69 tail panels are painted all the way down like that!

These aren't great pics but I'm not a photographer  :brickwall:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 12, 2008, 09:13:13 AM

Bull, the moldings on a 68 tail panel are the break point for the flat (satin) black. you need to take the the moldings ,have then set in place and used as a guide to mask it, remove them , finish masking , then sprayit

Also dont be too hard on them for painting it gloss it should be painted with body color first anyway for better corrosion resistance.  :Twocents:

And one more thing, That red 68 up a few has its tail panel painted completly wrong . only 69 tail panels are painted all the way down like that!
Good point.  "That red 68 up a few has its tail panel painted completly wrong . only 69 tail panels are painted all the way down like that!"

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bill440rt

1hot68 is COMPLETELY correct. (Ya beat me to it again, Brian!).  :cheers:

Bull, here is a shot of my '68 to get a better idea of contrast & where it should be flat black. That other red '68 is painted incorrectly.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bill440rt on January 12, 2008, 09:48:44 AM
1hot68 is COMPLETELY correct. (Ya beat me to it again, Brian!).  :cheers:

Bull, here is a shot of my '68 to get a better idea of contrast & where it should be flat black. That other red '68 is painted incorrectly.

If its any consolation Bill , it looks great!!  :cheers:

69_500

Is anyone going to mention that it all depends on which factory built your car as to what color the tail panel is supposed to be painted? It is a different color depending on if its a St. Louis car, or a Michigan built car.

I know I know, its not something that people think about most often, but it is true.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 69_500 on January 12, 2008, 03:07:26 PM
Here you go, here is a diagram to explain it all. The paint on the tail panel, and the application of the stripe. Both for the 1968 Chargers.

Hey, thats awesome I got to learn twice today.  :cheers:

1 I did not know about the 2 diff organsonal Blacks for a 68 t/panel. :yesnod:

2 I have always thought that the s/m lamp should be centered in the wide stripe it is set in.  :yesnod:

Thanks alot for the info 69500!! :cheers:

chargerguy111

What about the black inside the tail light bezels?Is it the same as the tail panel?

bull

Ok, whew. :P That red '68 had me all screwed up. Thanks for the info.

Quote from: chargerguy111 on January 12, 2008, 05:31:03 PM
What about the black inside the tail light bezels?Is it the same as the tail panel?

Now that's a really good question. I was wondering the same thing. :popcrn:

68charger383

This has ben bouncing around my head when I look at my car....should I get the rear panel sprayed black (now the specific color balck per the factory it was built at)

I like the blue back panel, but....I just keep thinking it does not look right with it being painted that way!

By the way Bull, paint on your car looks great !  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Dans 68

Here you go, here is a diagram to explain it all. The paint on the tail panel, and the application of the stripe. Both for the 1968 Chargers.

Nice '68 Engineering Illustrations!    :drool5:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

Quote from: 68charger383 on January 13, 2008, 11:58:54 PM
This has ben bouncing around my head when I look at my car....should I get the rear panel sprayed black (now the specific color balck per the factory it was built at)

I like the blue back panel, but....I just keep thinking it does not look right with it being painted that way!

By the way Bull, paint on your car looks great !  :2thumbs:

Thanks. Yours looks real nice too, I like the color. :2thumbs: I have to say though I vote for doing a black tail panel on it. :yesnod:

Mike DC

The factory "organisol" black paint was literally about as flat as you could possibly make the area.

But gloss & semi paint in the area don't look half bad.

Personal preference.   

Jonas_N

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 12, 2008, 04:19:44 PM
2 I have always thought that the s/m lamp should be centered in the wide stripe it is set in.  :yesnod:

Yes, me too. Thanks for the info and picture 69500.  :2thumbs:

bull

Quote from: Jonas_N on January 14, 2008, 07:24:18 AM
Quote from: 1hot68 on January 12, 2008, 04:19:44 PM

Yes, me too. Thanks for the info and picture 69500.  :2thumbs:

Thanks from me too. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth but would there be any way for you to scan those pages and post them here? I'd really like to read everything they have to say. Did you buy those somewhere? Are they in the repair manual maybe?

Mopar2Ya

IMO, the correct black looks the best.
Not to hijack, but '68-'69 tails were black? Were all '70's body color?

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Back N Black

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on January 14, 2008, 11:37:43 AM

I think the base model 70 was body color and the 70 R/T was flat black.

Mike DC

Yep.  All '68s and '69s were black. 

But in 1970 they based-down the Charger a little more, and that's when the body-colored tail panels began to be a possibility.  They dropped the Charger standard equipment a notch and they dropped the base price accordingly.  It even had a possible front bench seat for the first time.

bull

Quote from: Back N Black on January 14, 2008, 12:18:16 PM
Quote from: Mopar2Ya on January 14, 2008, 11:37:43 AM

I think the base model 70 was body color and the 70 R/T was flat black.

I believe all the '70 tail panels were painted body color but the R/Ts and 500s had one of those add-on panels made of (I think) fiberglass.

bull

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 12, 2008, 09:13:13 AM

Bull, the moldings on a 68 tail panel are the break point for the flat (satin) black. you need to take them the moldings ,have then set in place and used as a guide to mask it, remove them , finish masking , then spray it

Also don't be too hard on them for painting it gloss it should be painted with body color first anyway for better corrosion resistance.  :Twocents:

And one more thing, That red 68 up a few has its tail panel painted completely wrong . only 69 tail panels are painted all the way down like that!

These aren't great pics but I'm not a photographer  :brickwall:

Apparently the flat black stops at the top edge (lip) of the tail, right? It doesn't look like I need to take him the top piece of trim in other words.

Back N Black

Correct Bull, the painter will mask it off along the holes where the trim mounts to the car. The painter did the same with my car, painted it gloss black but all he had to do was use a flattening agent to get it to look right, I'm no body man but it was no big deal to the painter.   :shruggy:

Mopar2Ya

Any good body shop/paint store can add flatner & "adjust" the gloss level to whatever shine you want. I'd get a little extra for any touch up w/the custom mix. :Twocents:

I believe all the '70 tail panels were painted body color but the R/Ts and 500s had one of those add-on panels made of (I think) fiberglass.
I've always thought '70's tail was body color. The tail molding/panel is metal, aluminum I think. It also has some flat/satin black applied to it.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

bull

Maybe it is aluminum. :shruggy: I'm not well-versed on the '70 other than the base model. I owned a base model '70 for 10 years before I saw another street-worthy Charger therefore I didn't know Chargers had bucket seats and consoles until I saw the inside of a '68 5 years after I bought mine.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on January 14, 2008, 07:34:59 PM
Maybe it is aluminum. :shruggy: I'm not well-versed on the '70 other than the base model. I owned a base model '70 for 10 years before I saw another street-worthy Charger. I also didn't know Chargers had bucket seats and consoles until I saw the inside of a '68 5 years after I bought my '70.

70 t/panel trim is definitely aluminum. :yesnod:  with the tail panel itself painted body color  :Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Back N Black on January 14, 2008, 02:54:56 PM
Correct Bull, the painter will mask it off along the holes where the trim mounts to the car. The painter did the same with my car, painted it gloss black but all he had to do was use a flattening agent to get it to look right, I'm no body man but it was no big deal to the painter.   :shruggy:
Not looking to cause trouble here, but it's bull, not Bull. ( as this was pointed out to me.)  :icon_smile_big:

Back N Black

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 14, 2008, 08:08:42 PM
Quote from: Back N Black on January 14, 2008, 02:54:56 PM
Not looking to cause trouble here, but it's bull, not Bull. ( as this was pointed out to me.)  :icon_smile_big:

OK I'll slap myself.   :slap: