News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question for the old timers on here.

Started by Todd Wilson, March 08, 2013, 11:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

Not an old timer, but just last week I read something (school related) about how up until the early/mid 60's, American car manufacturers had an "agreement" that they would all offer the same warranty on the cars they sold. They would also bury the terms of the warranty in small print somewhere in a two inch thick contract and - i don't remember exactly - but the terms were pretty bad (something like 3 months and only parts).

BTW- it was a lawsuit against Chrysler...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

odcics2

Quote from: Todd Wilson on March 12, 2013, 02:12:01 PM
Quote from: Cooter on March 12, 2013, 11:28:42 AM
Quote from: 1BAD68 on March 12, 2013, 08:23:13 AM
I never saw one blow out of dozens, were we just lucky?

If you've ever seen one scatter, you'd feel that way for sure. People do stupid things all the time and get away with it, doesn't mean the trans was any Stronger or anything, just means you got "lucky"....

A friend of mine back in the day had a 4 door Impala  and we did N drops all the time in it. One night we got the idea if we went backwards as fast as we could stick it in N and floor it and then kick it into L we do do even better burn outs. We did this a few times and got Top Fuel Burn Out results out of it.............3-4 time we heard a pop and a nasty clunk clunk clunk clunk under the car beating the floor...............ripped the pinion right our of the rear end.  One hell of a smokey burn out though!

Todd

LOL!  So the trans lasted and the rear gear gave out...
We used to go in reverse and then slam it in drive at 5 grand.   It would leave two 'question marks' of tire rubber on the road, if you did it right.   

Looking back, I guess I am Lucky...   :2thumbs:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RedChargerRob

"Old Timer" ??   I resemble that remark !!   Since I usually only read here, I thought I'd add my voice on this one. I was "of age" back in the late 60's-early 70's. Heavy into the late-night weekend street action. For hot street cars (non "track"-built), Mopar 440's & BB Chevy were usually the best. Reliability-wise, most stuff was pretty stout, but common failures were clutches & u-joints, Ford A/Trans, GM 10-bolt rears. Your best friend was the service manager you tipped well. And cars actually lasted longer than what the odometers stated, clock-spinning was routine. 

surmanajaja

Quote from: Scaregrabber on March 09, 2013, 08:24:45 PM
Ford's engines didn't seem to handle the abuse that a Mopar could either.

weird since they actually won so much of the nascar races of the 60´s...and their 9-inch rear ends and toploader trannies are commonly known to be the best ever made.

so I beg to differ.

all basic big block engines were mostly dependable, 454 chev,428 ford,440mopar,455 buick and so on..local guy drove his Hemi belvedere all year round, and the engine went south under warranty. in my opinion all musclecars were more dependable that any of the crap they sell today, but not as dependable as a 1987-1998 toyotas. of course there are parts that wear, but so what, they are cheap to replace and anybody can change them in their driveway if they want to , try that with a new Audi or something...electrical issues and rust were the things that stopped most of them at 5-10 years of age,depending on climate and use.

Cooter

Quote from: surmanajaja on March 15, 2013, 10:39:52 AM
Quote from: Scaregrabber on March 09, 2013, 08:24:45 PM
Ford's engines didn't seem to handle the abuse that a Mopar could either.
weird since they actually won so much of the nascar races of the 60´s...and their 9-inch rear ends and toploader trannies are commonly known to be the best ever made.
so I beg to differ.

While I love a good ole Top loader, I beg to differ on the trans. If you've ever snapped a mainshaft on a Toploader, you'd understand why. the manishaft "Necks down" right behind the rear bearing. I've sold more A833 Chrysler 4-speeds to Ford and Chevy guys than Mopar guys.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ws23rt

I bought My first new car in 1970. A 69 super bee 383. I wanted a hemi car but the sales man talked me out of it. He said it was too much trouble to keep in good tune and I could not afford it. He was right about me not being able to afford it. He also had a super bee on hand and didn't want me to walk away.
  It was a 4sp. I had two clutches and two sincro sets replaced on warranty during the 11 months I power shifted that car to 36000 miles. (went back to the finance co. cause I could not afford it).
  Many times I would run to valve float stomp the clutch and pull the shifter at the same time. With 3.23 gears could
get tire smoke in third gear. Once drove Portland to San Francisco at night at 115-120 mph. Pulled into each gas stop
that was open (6 or 7) and that 383 kept smiling.

HeavyFuel

This is a good topic.  We all get completely spoiled with our modern cars, and it's a good question as to what should be expected from our classics.

My first car was a '67 plymouth Fury wagon, 318, and it was pretty reliable.    Not a muscle car but the time frame was right, and it held together pretty good.  It was a very used car when I got it, and drove it pretty hard....I was 17.

FC7 V code

Quote from: odcics2 on March 12, 2013, 03:49:23 PM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on March 12, 2013, 02:12:01 PM
Quote from: Cooter on March 12, 2013, 11:28:42 AM
Quote from: 1BAD68 on March 12, 2013, 08:23:13 AM
I never saw one blow out of dozens, were we just lucky?

If you've ever seen one scatter, you'd feel that way for sure. People do stupid things all the time and get away with it, doesn't mean the trans was any Stronger or anything, just means you got "lucky"....

A friend of mine back in the day had a 4 door Impala  and we did N drops all the time in it. One night we got the idea if we went backwards as fast as we could stick it in N and floor it and then kick it into L we do do even better burn outs. We did this a few times and got Top Fuel Burn Out results out of it.............3-4 time we heard a pop and a nasty clunk clunk clunk clunk under the car beating the floor...............ripped the pinion right our of the rear end.  One hell of a smokey burn out though!

Todd

LOL!  So the trans lasted and the rear gear gave out...
We used to go in reverse and then slam it in drive at 5 grand.   It would leave two 'question marks' of tire rubber on the road, if you did it right.   

Looking back, I guess I am Lucky...   :2thumbs:

I'm not quite old enough to have bought one new in the late 60's-early 70's(was about 12 at the time). But I had older Cousins and Uncles who did. Most opted for the 440 or 383. Both seemed pretty stout although on the 440 I knew a number of guys who wrecked the cam by getting well over the red-line when they missed a gear with a 4 speed (did that myself in the early 80's racing a motorcycle, not by missing a gear, but by going above a speed where a 4/10 Dana wasn't suppose to go, which put the 440 well over 6k rpm). Never knew anyone who did up a crankshaft, lower end problems weren't all that common in my area. The 383 seemed really reliable and stood up to tons of abuse without much fuss. Not much experience with the Hemi, only knew of a couple and I recall that they were awesome when right but were temperamental beasts. The 727 was really a strong trans and and I felt you probably could beat most guys running a four speed because of the simple fact was most of them didn't know what they were doing or were intoxicated or a combination of both :rofl:.
As far as doing a burnout in reverse and then shifting to drive at aprox. 5k rpm a buddy did it for roughly an hour in an AAR while he carved what he called "teardrops" onto a state highway after he split up with his cheating girlfriend. Finally the trans blew but the abuse it suffered before going out was unbelievable. Maybe he was just lucky but I did know a number of people the did some seriously abusive driving with 727's. 4 speeds were more problematic and just because of driver abuse or lack of talent most people burnt through clutches at a fairly alarming rate. Also an issue was the occasionally leaking rear main seal which allowed oil to soak the clutch, not a good combination with a powerful motor. Installation of headers caused some problems especially with a 440 where there wasn't tons of clearance to start with, a Cousins 69 GTX went through a starter roughly every 1500 miles after we put headers on it. The pipes were just to close to the starter and there was no room to fix the issue. After cussing out a few starter jobs in about 5000 miles we went back to the stock manifolds. Performance really didn't seem to suffer from what I could tell, the car was still all you needed and then some. 
Warranty work really depended on how tight you were with someone at your dealership in our area. Some pretty wild things were replaced under the term warranty work while other guys that may have had a fairly valid claim were soaked. It was quite an era to grow up in! Things that would land you in jail now were simply assessed a $100 or less fine back then.
1968 Chrysler 300
1969 Charger
1969 Charger RT/SE
1970 Charger RT/SE
1970 Cuda AAR
1970 Challenger SE
1970 Roadrunner
1982 Trans Am

Pete in NH

Hello Everyone,

I just found and signed up for this very interesting group. I can speak to some of the issues in this thread as I bought my 1971 Charger as a special order back in the spring of 1971. It was my first new car and I still have it. I remember the 1968's sitting on the floor of the New York Auto Show back in 1968 and thinking they were absolutely beautiful. But being in school at the time there was no way I could afford one. I have always loved the styling of the 68-69-70 Chargers but it was 1971 before I could afford a new car, I was 22 at the time. My charger is a 383 2BBL I was going to order a 4BBL  383 but there was an issue with Holley carb. fires and who wants to see their new car go up in flames!

To address the subject of this thread I just looked up my new car warranty in the glove box papers and the original 1971 warranty was 12 months/12,000 miles. The warranty papers also state the 426 Hemi being a race engine is sold as is with out a warranty. As I recall it I never saw a 440 R/T car on a dealer's lot, let alone a 426 which added $1000 to the price of a $3000 car. Most cars you saw where 318's and even my 383 2BBL B block was not too common in a B body car. My car is very heavily optioned, including disc brakes which were not too common at the time. The car went out the door at $4100 and the dealer made me leave a double deposit when I ordered it saying he would have a hard time selling it if I didn't take it. It was just too expensive a Charger.

Also, to the original question the 71 has always been very reliable in the 13 years it was my daily transportation it never left me stranded by the side of the road. The only warranty issues where a leaking ignition coil and a bad A/C compressor clutch. I get a kick out of people who look old these late 60's and early 70's cars as unreliable, they are what we had back then and they did the job quite well. I still have absolutely no problem with a long trip in the 71. Every time I drive it I'm reminded of how much we've lost in terms of pure fun in driving a car. Today's cars, I think have absolutely no personality, they all look the same and while they provide transportation most do it without any excitement.

Well, I've rattled on long enough, I just wanted to introduce myself and my Charger

HeavyFuel

Nice first post, Pete.   :2thumbs:

Welcome to the site!

JB400

Thanks for your post Pete :cheers: Welcome to the group

Pete in NH

Thank you for the warm welcome! I don't have any digital format photos of my Charger. That's some thing I'll have to fix as soon as she comes out of winter hibernation. We had 8 inches of new snow last week and as all the winter snow melts we get into mud season. So, the Charger doesn't come out until everything drys out. which is usually early May. Thanks again for the welcome and I'll be posting more about my car as soon as i get some photos to go with the story.

71 SE3834V

I will be interested to know more about your '71 as I have, what I consider to be a pretty heavily optioned '71 SE. I always like comparing cars. So far with decoding the broadcast sheet and comparing it to listed features on all the brochures/dealer info I can come across I have listed 18 options over and above the SE model. Would very much like to learn more about yours!
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Pete in NH

Hi,

My 71 is a plain Jane Charger. When I took the salesman's 71SE out I found the bucket seats too low to the floor for my long legs. So, I started with the base car. I still have the two page window sticker here's the list-

Built at Lynch Road Assy. June 1971

WH23 Dodge Charger 8 cyl. 2 Dr. Hardtop
C2Y3 Vinyl Bench Seat
AO1 Light Group
A85 Charger Topper Group
B41 Disc Brakes-Front
B51 Power Brakes
C92 Floor Mats
D34 Torqueflite Transmission
D51 Axle Ratio-2.76
E61 383 CID Engine  8cyl.
F25 Battery – 70 AMP
G11 Tinted Glass-All Windows
H31 Defogger Rear Window
H51 Air Conditioning
J21 Clock-Electric
J25 Windshield Wipers-Variable speed
J41 Pedal Dress-up
J52 I/P Mounted Hood Release
J55 Undercoating and Hood Insulation Pad
R11 Radio- Solid State AM
S13 Rallye Suspension
S77 Power steering
W23 Road Wheels W/Chrome Trim Rings
T46 Tires G78-14 WSW

Not like today, back then you built the car from the ground up! I always thought of it as in a base car you got 4 wheels and a milk box to sit on, everything else was an option.

Iceyone

Although I wasn't old enough to buy a new mopar in 69, I do remember the new 69 SE my dad bought new. He drove the the hell out of it on a daily basis. I especially remember the ugly ass Thrush side pipes he put on it. They'd burn your legs if you weren't careful. My dad enjoyed showing us kids how the car would run 100 mph. The quarter panels were rusted out by 1973 and the car was sold in 74 or 75. It was still around while I was in high school and a friend of mine actually owned it. It was still running hard in 1979 and sported a new paint job and the quarters were repaired. My friend would smoke the tires at every stop light. I had a chance to buy it back then but turned it down due to the thrashing I new it had gone through. The car disappeared sometime in the early 80s and I haven't seen it since. 
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal