News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone get their 440source heads yet???? SOLD OUT TILL FEB!

Started by Mfr426, January 17, 2008, 03:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Musicman

Yes, it sure would be nice to hear some positive install information from one of the more experienced engine builders here. I have one month to cancel my order... Hopefully we will have heard something one way or another before then. If you can believe all the hype, then they should spec out about the same as the Eddy's.

:popcrn:

70sixpkrt

I wonder if the 440source heads needs to be "cleaned up" like the Edelbrocks do.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

my73charger

Man I want to order some of these.  I just don't have the cash available yet.  I can't wait to hear from some of you guys on these.  I figure for the price, (I hope that they stay at this price for at least a few months) I can afford to get them machined to make them really breath.  :yesnod:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mfr426 on January 20, 2008, 05:57:00 AM
Great find! Now the question is what do our resident motor experts think of the product from these shots?

:scratchchin:

Mike, based on those "out of the box" pics they do look good....but looks can be decieving.  ;)

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on January 20, 2008, 12:44:08 PM
I wonder if the 440source heads needs to be "cleaned up" like the Edelbrocks do.

Good question Ricky....time will tell. Hopefully we have some unbiased feedback soon.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

dukeboy_318

Anyboy know what the max lift is on the valve train included on the heads??
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

70sixpkrt

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Musicman

Quote from: dukeboy_318 on January 20, 2008, 04:04:02 PM
Anyboy know what the max lift is on the valve train included on the heads??

The advertised number is .600... all the specs are available on their site.

dukeboy_318

sweet, so they shouldnt require any mods with my .533/.552 cam  :drool5:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

firefighter3931

Quote from: dukeboy_318 on January 21, 2008, 07:43:32 AM
sweet, so they shouldnt require any mods with my .533/.552 cam  :drool5:

Exactly....you're good to go with those heads. The valve springs will work just fine.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mfr426

Just saw that the first set of heads were sold out and the next shipment will be in at the end of Feb. I may have to preorder mine.

http://www.440source.com/heads.htm

AKcharger

Mine will be in next week, I plan on taking them to my shop to have them checked out before I install them, I'll let you know what they say

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Musicman on January 18, 2008, 09:43:34 PM
but I'll tell ya what... for $899 fully assembled... I already have my set on order. I have to tell you though that I was more than a little leery about ordering them. I mean lets face it, $899 for a fully assembled "pair", it sounds just a little to good to be true, don't you think.

I look at it this way...    I can pick up a set of really nice Small Block chevy aluminum heads for $900.00 - why should mopars be different....    its not the fact mopar parts cost more to make - it is simply there has been no competition to bring the prices down...    now there is   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 22, 2008, 03:39:20 AM
but I'll tell ya what... for $899 fully assembled... I already have my set on order. I have to tell you though that I was more than a little leery about ordering them. I mean lets face it, $899 for a fully assembled "pair", it sounds just a little to good to be true, don't you think.

I look at it this way...    I can pick up a set of really nice Small Block chevy aluminum heads for $900.00 - why should mopars be different....    its not the fact mopar parts cost more to make - it is simply there has been no competition to bring the prices down...    now there is   :2thumbs:

R&D costs $$$$.     The costs for such R&D are less per unit with a higher anticipated volume.     Hence SBC heads costs less.   The better SBC heads such as those offered by AFR aren't $900 either.  Then again....  stealing design work is cheap and profitable - ask the Japanese, Chinese, Russians, etc. 

The funny thing is that except for the rocker stands and lack of manifold water passages...  BBM heads bear a striking resemblance to SBC heads.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 22, 2008, 03:39:20 AM

This thread is starting to sound familiar, I remember something Arthur wrote, here is another thread might be relevant:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=38258.new;topicseen#new

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

375instroke

Doesn't it look like those ports are squeezed to 2/3 their opening width at the pushrod pinch?

It looks like the pushrod hole comes right up to the intake port opening in this pic, so opening them up may be a problem. It does on the stock heads too, so what can you do with a stock rocker configuration head?  In one of the Mopar mag. engine challenges, someone opened up the heads all the way in that location and installed a thin copper tube for the pushrod to go through and seal up the intake port.  What do you guys think about that idea?

Mfr426

I just talked the 440 source and "Natalie". She was very helpful and said that they had 200 sets of the heads and they are all gone. She said that they have 200 on order and they will be in at the end of Feb. She also said that there was talk in the shop about bumping the price in March but she does not think that "the owner???" will do that. I think that's Brandon? She thought they had 400 more sets coming in the following month. 

:drool5:

Paul G

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

aifilaw

Well then post some detailed pics of the ports, sides, tops, bottoms, and insides.... get yourself a sonar metal scanner for $7,000 and do a full sweep of them and take screen shots of the readout.

Seriously though, someone needs to bolt these onto something and tell us how the installation went in verbose detail, even though I don't have anywhere near enough to build my engine the way I want too, I could buy these and slap them on my near-stock 383 currently in preparation and it wouldn't make a difference, I just want to avoid any headaches initially like what occurred on the edelbricks.

What I would like most of all is for someone to get a decently calibrated manometer test-bench and give us true full flowrates at 0.05, 0.10, 0.15, 0.20, 0.25, 0.30, 0.35, 0.40, 0.45, 0.50, 0.55, 0.60, 0.65, 0.70 lift on all 8 ports of each and post them.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Mfr426

"verbose detail"? Holy smokes now I have to go and get my dictionary...

:icon_smile_big:

Musicman

Quote from: aifilaw on January 23, 2008, 06:49:44 PM

What I would like most of all is for someone to get a decently calibrated manometer test-bench and give us true full flowrates at 0.05, 0.10, 0.15, 0.20, 0.25, 0.30, 0.35, 0.40, 0.45, 0.50, 0.55, 0.60, 0.65, 0.70 lift on all 8 ports of each and post them.

:haha: I'll take two of whatever he's having   :yesnod:    It's a dream, but it sure would be nice to get that kind of info.

Actually, I emailed 440Source with a request for that information on a couple of occasions... but never heard anything from them.  :rotz:

aifilaw

If I decide to build some, I'd just rebuild my old flowbench setup. The only trouble is the numbers mean almost nothing unless your going off of comparison readings because it won't be calibrated to true wg.

John_Kunkel

Here's a pic of the heads installed on a 400 block with a 511 stroker kit from 440source, all of the parts are from them and the quality (measured and appearance) is first class throughout.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

defiance

I've got my set (was #11 on the list) at modern cylinder head right now :) 

firefighter3931

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 24, 2008, 06:16:33 PM

Here's a pic of the heads installed on a 400 block with a 511 stroker kit from 440source, all of the parts are from them and the quality (measured and appearance) is first class throughout.

Very Nice John, thanks for the pics and assembly report.  :2thumbs:

Is that your's ? what's it going in ?  :icon_smile_big:

Thanks, Ron

aifilaw

Quote from: defiance on January 24, 2008, 06:22:40 PM
I've got my set (was #11 on the list) at modern cylinder head right now :) 

sounds good, get us some updates!!