News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

original 440 torquer intake-any good?

Started by andy74, July 26, 2005, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy74

a guy on moparts has a 440 torquer intake for sale, and is pretty close to where i live-should i buy it for a reasonable price? i am currently running a stock cast iron 68 440 intake,9.3-1 forged flat tops,ported 906 heads,and the smaller summit cam(.442/.465,214/224)1 7/8 hooker headers with 3 inch collectors,factory six pack hi stall convertor,727 with 3.55 sure grip,27 inch tall tires-also have a 750 eldebrock carb,and have 850 on the bench-any one run this intake,or have a similar combo that can give me some feed back?thanks-Andy

firefighter3931

Hi Andy, the original torker is an excellent manifold for a stock to mildly modded motor. I don't know if you'd see a "significant" increase in power without further mods....namely the camshaft. It will pull pretty good to ~5800 rpm then power will drop off. The factory 4bbl dual plane is a pretty descent piece, inmo.

If you plan on stepping up the cam, then i say go for it. Otherwise keep what you've got.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

andy74

Ron, thats about what i thought.I am planning on building the other 440 that i talked to you and chryco about a few months ago,should be something a little hotter than this one,i am under the impression that the original torquer was/is a s good as a street dominator?thanks again,Andy

firefighter3931

Andy, it's worth getting for a future build if the price is right. It will make "excellent" torque and "very good" horsepower but it( HP) will fall off sooner than with the SD. One tuning mod that helps is to add a 1in open spacer to increase plenum volume....if the combo needs it.

The original Torker worked great 25-30 years ago when it was the only player in town and there's no reason it can't work good today.   ;) A friend ran low 12's with that intake so it did, and still does, work well.   :thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

andy74

i am gonna give the guy 100 bucks for it,so i guess its reasonable,and he seems pretty cool besides so i think we will be all set