News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door Glass Installation: Project '69 Gets Some Side Glass!!

Started by bill440rt, January 28, 2008, 10:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

OK, we last left off from my latest post about the vent window assembly:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38431.0.html

Now comes the oh-so-fun part of installing the side glass & vents in the car. A few words of advice: have HELPERS with you for assistance with this!! It will be virtually impossible to do this by yourself without breaking something or scratching the car. SPECIAL THANKS to kevin69rtvert for lending me a hand with this installation.
Let me apologize first for the lack of photos, this operation is virtually impossible to do while taking pictures. Your hands are way to busy to install the glass & take pictures at the same time. I tried my best.

Got a buddy? OK, let's get started.

First, I started by re-installing the stainless vertical molding on the side glass. It was removed for polishing. It slips on the side edge of the glass, I used a plastic mallet to tap it back on into place. You can also use glass sealing butyl tape or dabs of urethane to help hold it in place. I also replaced the weatherstrip seal that glues in place on this molding.

At the front edge, I replaced the plastic vent window run channel weatherstips that help the window slide up & down on the vent window channel. These are available new, & are EXPENSIVE! They're like $40 PER SIDE, or $80 a pair. I found mine for a good deal on eBay. They are basically felt covered plastic, that Mopar charges $80 for. They come with the plastic clips that let it glide on the vent window channel.
There are holes in the front of the glass that I lined up with the guides, & used a paper hole punch to make new locating holes in the weatherstrips. The clips were then installed. They sit about 1/2" down from the upper window edge.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Then, slide the door window into the vent window assembly from the bottom. Have your helper help you!!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Now we're ready to install this as an assembly into the door. Leave the regulator mounted in the door in the down position. With two people holding the window assembly, one person guides it in at the front & the other holds the rear section. The front part of the vent window is at an angle, I like to put this end in first. There is a fork in the vent window that slips over a stud at the front of the door, & a loop that sits over a post at the bottom. (pic3)
Leave the catwhiskers out for now, just cover the top part of the door with protective layers of masking tape. The rear edge of the door glass will slide down into the rear run channel in the door.

Once it's in place, lower the door glass by hand to meet the regulator. Slide the lower regulator guide over the plastic wheel, & attach it to the side glass with the proper plastic rivet clip. (pic1) There's a paper gasket in this, I made new ones out of tar paper.
There should be a foam anti-rattle strip in the lower post, I still need to make one & slip that on. (pic2)

There is also an allen bolt & large retangular backing nut that holds the base of the vent window in along the top of the door, it tightens thru an upper hole in the door frame. (pic4)  This is often overlooked.

bill440rt

With the vent assembly & door glass loosely in place, gently close the door. With the side glass in the down position, your helper can hold the vent frame in place to line up the gaps along the A-pillar & at the top corner of the roof. With the gaps properly aligned, tighten the vent frame from inside the car.
Then, roll up the door glass to see how it sits in the rear run channel. Adjust the run channel as necessary.

Close the door to check the gaps at the 1/4 window. I had to bring my 1/4 windows out slightly to meet with the door glass.

I still need to install the catwhiskers & door plugs, weatherstripping, etc now that the side glass is in the car. This is good, more parts moving off the shelves & onto the car!!

I'll update this thread with more photos as those parts go on. Sorry for the lack of pics, but I hope I described this procedure OK for everyone. A FSM also comes in very handy. It can be challenging to do, but with a helper it's much easier.

Shakey

Thanks for the tips Bill, I've got my stuff ready to be installed, just need to get out to the farm to do it.  These pointers will come in handy.   :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nice GLASS! :cheers:

Bill, are you going to add the pass side mirror as well?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 29, 2008, 08:21:38 AM
Nice GLASS! :cheers:

Bill, are you going to add the pass side mirror as well?

Glad you noticed!  :D  (Errr... I have been working out lately...)  ;)

Yes, I have the passenger mirror. I have to make a template from the driver's door & transfer it to the passenger door, then drill the holes.  :scared:

I'm going to wait until the windshield & back glass are installed to do the rest of the roof & beltline trim, I don't want to take the chance of it getting damaged by the glass guy.

OttawaCharger

Nice write up!  thanks for taking the time to put it here  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

rare69

great stuff there, thanks for taking the extra time to help the rest of us out. much appreciated.

racecharger

WoW that looks good!!   

Is it possible to instal side window with vent window assemdley already on the car?

Wish i seen this before i started to assemble mine :brickwall:

Sorry I spell terrible :icon_smile_big:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: racecharger on January 30, 2008, 05:00:16 PM
WoW that looks good!!   

Is it possible to instal side window with vent window assemdley already on the car?

Yes...I've done mine this way....my wife & kids are not good "helpers" & I have no friends ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69 OUR/TEA

Looking real good Bill !!! Very nice step by step instructions. :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 30, 2008, 05:13:44 PM
Quote from: racecharger on January 30, 2008, 05:00:16 PM
WoW that looks good!!   

Yes...I've done mine this way....my wife & kids are not good "helpers" & I have no friends ;)

Nice to hear you guys have found this useful.  :cheers:   And, thanks again for the compliments!

Hey Chris, hope you don't think I'm questioning you here, but HOW exactly did you install your door glass with the vent window already in position?  :scratchchin:   I only ask as there's an angle at the top of the vent window that, even if you remove the upper rubber stop, the door glass still cannot be lifted out from the top. You have to slide the door glass in at the BOTTOM of the vent frame. The plastic weatherstrip seal on the front of the door glass locks into the vent frame.
And, Mr. Popularity, don't think for a minute you have no friends! I'd be there to help you in a New York minute anytime. (Of course, for the low, low offer of only $19.95 in three easy installments. Your payment this month is late!)  :D :nana: :smilielol:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks Bill for the offer! 
I actually put the door glass in first then the vent window......thats how I removed the vent as well.....the vent first....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 31, 2008, 06:33:18 PM
Thanks Bill for the offer! 
I actually put the door glass in first then the vent window......thats how I removed the vent as well.....the vent first....

Anytime!!   :2thumbs:

That's what I thought... the way your response read was that the vent was in the car first. But there's no way to install the glass like that. You either have to assemble it out of the car, or slide the door glass in first, then the vent.
Trust me, it MUCH easier to assemble it out of the car first!! Call for HELP next time!!!  :yesnod:  :slap:

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: bill440rt on January 30, 2008, 10:56:19 PM
but HOW exactly did you install your door glass with the vent window already in position?  :scratchchin:   I only ask as there's an angle at the top of the vent window that, even if you remove the upper rubber stop, the door glass still cannot be lifted out from the top. You have to slide the door glass in at the BOTTOM of the vent frame. The plastic weatherstrip seal on the front of the door glass locks into the vent frame.

Great job Bill!!! That's gonna be killer!!  :2thumbs:  But to answer your question...

Remove the rubber upper stop (1 screw) and then remove the screw that holds the channel to the vent frame... then gently pull the window glass in and up outta there.   :icon_smile_cool:
After swapping the plastic weatherstrips then spray the phrig out  of the new weatherstrips and front channel with spray silicone and slide it back in there.

Then be sure to test it!  :2thumbs:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

bill440rt

Damn, power windows!! I'm jealous!!  :drool5:  :drool5:  :drool5:

Ya got me on the installation, Brian. I never would have thought of that!!   :smilielol:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

racecharger

Remove the rubber upper stop (1 screw) and then remove the screw that holds the channel to the vent frame... then gently pull the window glass in and up outta there.   :icon_smile_cool:
After swapping the plastic weatherstrips then spray the phrig out  of the new weatherstrips and front channel with spray silicone and slide it back in there.

Then be sure to test it!  :2thumbs:

Thanks!!   I will try that,  just hope the screws will come out!
Need some new plastic weatherstrips for mine to and i dont think you can by them anywhere here in Sweden!!

Here is a picture of my car!

dodgedarren

Howdy, I am having major trouble getting the channel started over the channel felt attached to the glass.
I have both pieces laid flat and out of the car as the lime green charger sugjested to do.  Any pointers
or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Darren

bill440rt

Hi Darren,

Shouldn't be too hard, really. The felt goes inside the channel on the vent window frame. It might take a little fidging around with, but it should go in. Once started, slowly slide the side glass upwards towards the top of the vent window frame.

poppa

You don't by chance have a how to on adjusting these *%$# windows ,do you? Not even close.Which would you do first,quarters or doors??
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

bill440rt

Quote from: poppa on July 15, 2011, 11:56:31 AM
You don't by chance have a how to on adjusting these *%$# windows ,do you? Not even close.Which would you do first,quarters or doors??

Poppa, check out my 4th post in this thread. It kinda tells how to install/adjust the door windows. Yes, they can be tricky.
Leave the vent window bolts & the rear run channel bolts loose for now. With the assembly in place, gently close the door. Have a helper standing outside. Line up the vent window with the windshield pillar. Once the gap looks even, tighten it down. Then, adjust the rear run channel to get the height & angle right on the rear portion of the door side glass. It should be even with the upper roof rail.
Last, I adjust the 1/4 glass to match the angle of the door side glass. They should meet up.

I find it's easiest to adjust each one individually in that order: vent window, side glass, and finally 1/4 glass.
Good luck!

JT01

Great write up you helped me fiqure things out on mine with the pics you posted. Where did you get the weatherstrip seal that glues to the stainless molding on the rear of the glass.

poppa

Bill440rt,I actually have the door windows to a point they could stay where they are. My quarter ones are way off. They are too close to the outside "fuzzy" and when they go up to the top they are almost inside the car ( I think you would pull the bottom in). These were previously in the car. I have all adjustments set to be as close to the inside as possible. If I move any of them out,it just magnifies the problem.I believe I reinstalled the rollers in the correct spots. It does almost seem like the rear one in the vertical track is the biggest problem. I will play with it one more day now that I had a couple days away. If not I will have to try to find someone local to take a look. Thanks,Poppa
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.