News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door Glass Installation: Project '69 Gets Some Side Glass!!

Started by bill440rt, January 28, 2008, 10:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

OK, we last left off from my latest post about the vent window assembly:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38431.0.html

Now comes the oh-so-fun part of installing the side glass & vents in the car. A few words of advice: have HELPERS with you for assistance with this!! It will be virtually impossible to do this by yourself without breaking something or scratching the car. SPECIAL THANKS to kevin69rtvert for lending me a hand with this installation.
Let me apologize first for the lack of photos, this operation is virtually impossible to do while taking pictures. Your hands are way to busy to install the glass & take pictures at the same time. I tried my best.

Got a buddy? OK, let's get started.

First, I started by re-installing the stainless vertical molding on the side glass. It was removed for polishing. It slips on the side edge of the glass, I used a plastic mallet to tap it back on into place. You can also use glass sealing butyl tape or dabs of urethane to help hold it in place. I also replaced the weatherstrip seal that glues in place on this molding.

At the front edge, I replaced the plastic vent window run channel weatherstips that help the window slide up & down on the vent window channel. These are available new, & are EXPENSIVE! They're like $40 PER SIDE, or $80 a pair. I found mine for a good deal on eBay. They are basically felt covered plastic, that Mopar charges $80 for. They come with the plastic clips that let it glide on the vent window channel.
There are holes in the front of the glass that I lined up with the guides, & used a paper hole punch to make new locating holes in the weatherstrips. The clips were then installed. They sit about 1/2" down from the upper window edge.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Then, slide the door window into the vent window assembly from the bottom. Have your helper help you!!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Now we're ready to install this as an assembly into the door. Leave the regulator mounted in the door in the down position. With two people holding the window assembly, one person guides it in at the front & the other holds the rear section. The front part of the vent window is at an angle, I like to put this end in first. There is a fork in the vent window that slips over a stud at the front of the door, & a loop that sits over a post at the bottom. (pic3)
Leave the catwhiskers out for now, just cover the top part of the door with protective layers of masking tape. The rear edge of the door glass will slide down into the rear run channel in the door.

Once it's in place, lower the door glass by hand to meet the regulator. Slide the lower regulator guide over the plastic wheel, & attach it to the side glass with the proper plastic rivet clip. (pic1) There's a paper gasket in this, I made new ones out of tar paper.
There should be a foam anti-rattle strip in the lower post, I still need to make one & slip that on. (pic2)

There is also an allen bolt & large retangular backing nut that holds the base of the vent window in along the top of the door, it tightens thru an upper hole in the door frame. (pic4)  This is often overlooked.

bill440rt

With the vent assembly & door glass loosely in place, gently close the door. With the side glass in the down position, your helper can hold the vent frame in place to line up the gaps along the A-pillar & at the top corner of the roof. With the gaps properly aligned, tighten the vent frame from inside the car.
Then, roll up the door glass to see how it sits in the rear run channel. Adjust the run channel as necessary.

Close the door to check the gaps at the 1/4 window. I had to bring my 1/4 windows out slightly to meet with the door glass.

I still need to install the catwhiskers & door plugs, weatherstripping, etc now that the side glass is in the car. This is good, more parts moving off the shelves & onto the car!!

I'll update this thread with more photos as those parts go on. Sorry for the lack of pics, but I hope I described this procedure OK for everyone. A FSM also comes in very handy. It can be challenging to do, but with a helper it's much easier.

Shakey

Thanks for the tips Bill, I've got my stuff ready to be installed, just need to get out to the farm to do it.  These pointers will come in handy.   :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nice GLASS! :cheers:

Bill, are you going to add the pass side mirror as well?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 29, 2008, 08:21:38 AM
Nice GLASS! :cheers:

Bill, are you going to add the pass side mirror as well?

Glad you noticed!  :D  (Errr... I have been working out lately...)  ;)

Yes, I have the passenger mirror. I have to make a template from the driver's door & transfer it to the passenger door, then drill the holes.  :scared:

I'm going to wait until the windshield & back glass are installed to do the rest of the roof & beltline trim, I don't want to take the chance of it getting damaged by the glass guy.

OttawaCharger

Nice write up!  thanks for taking the time to put it here  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

rare69

great stuff there, thanks for taking the extra time to help the rest of us out. much appreciated.

racecharger

WoW that looks good!!   

Is it possible to instal side window with vent window assemdley already on the car?

Wish i seen this before i started to assemble mine :brickwall:

Sorry I spell terrible :icon_smile_big:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: racecharger on January 30, 2008, 05:00:16 PM
WoW that looks good!!   

Is it possible to instal side window with vent window assemdley already on the car?

Yes...I've done mine this way....my wife & kids are not good "helpers" & I have no friends ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69 OUR/TEA

Looking real good Bill !!! Very nice step by step instructions. :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 30, 2008, 05:13:44 PM
Quote from: racecharger on January 30, 2008, 05:00:16 PM
WoW that looks good!!   

Yes...I've done mine this way....my wife & kids are not good "helpers" & I have no friends ;)

Nice to hear you guys have found this useful.  :cheers:   And, thanks again for the compliments!

Hey Chris, hope you don't think I'm questioning you here, but HOW exactly did you install your door glass with the vent window already in position?  :scratchchin:   I only ask as there's an angle at the top of the vent window that, even if you remove the upper rubber stop, the door glass still cannot be lifted out from the top. You have to slide the door glass in at the BOTTOM of the vent frame. The plastic weatherstrip seal on the front of the door glass locks into the vent frame.
And, Mr. Popularity, don't think for a minute you have no friends! I'd be there to help you in a New York minute anytime. (Of course, for the low, low offer of only $19.95 in three easy installments. Your payment this month is late!)  :D :nana: :smilielol:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks Bill for the offer! 
I actually put the door glass in first then the vent window......thats how I removed the vent as well.....the vent first....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 31, 2008, 06:33:18 PM
Thanks Bill for the offer! 
I actually put the door glass in first then the vent window......thats how I removed the vent as well.....the vent first....

Anytime!!   :2thumbs:

That's what I thought... the way your response read was that the vent was in the car first. But there's no way to install the glass like that. You either have to assemble it out of the car, or slide the door glass in first, then the vent.
Trust me, it MUCH easier to assemble it out of the car first!! Call for HELP next time!!!  :yesnod:  :slap:

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: bill440rt on January 30, 2008, 10:56:19 PM
but HOW exactly did you install your door glass with the vent window already in position?  :scratchchin:   I only ask as there's an angle at the top of the vent window that, even if you remove the upper rubber stop, the door glass still cannot be lifted out from the top. You have to slide the door glass in at the BOTTOM of the vent frame. The plastic weatherstrip seal on the front of the door glass locks into the vent frame.

Great job Bill!!! That's gonna be killer!!  :2thumbs:  But to answer your question...

Remove the rubber upper stop (1 screw) and then remove the screw that holds the channel to the vent frame... then gently pull the window glass in and up outta there.   :icon_smile_cool:
After swapping the plastic weatherstrips then spray the phrig out  of the new weatherstrips and front channel with spray silicone and slide it back in there.

Then be sure to test it!  :2thumbs:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

bill440rt

Damn, power windows!! I'm jealous!!  :drool5:  :drool5:  :drool5:

Ya got me on the installation, Brian. I never would have thought of that!!   :smilielol:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

racecharger

Remove the rubber upper stop (1 screw) and then remove the screw that holds the channel to the vent frame... then gently pull the window glass in and up outta there.   :icon_smile_cool:
After swapping the plastic weatherstrips then spray the phrig out  of the new weatherstrips and front channel with spray silicone and slide it back in there.

Then be sure to test it!  :2thumbs:

Thanks!!   I will try that,  just hope the screws will come out!
Need some new plastic weatherstrips for mine to and i dont think you can by them anywhere here in Sweden!!

Here is a picture of my car!

dodgedarren

Howdy, I am having major trouble getting the channel started over the channel felt attached to the glass.
I have both pieces laid flat and out of the car as the lime green charger sugjested to do.  Any pointers
or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Darren

bill440rt

Hi Darren,

Shouldn't be too hard, really. The felt goes inside the channel on the vent window frame. It might take a little fidging around with, but it should go in. Once started, slowly slide the side glass upwards towards the top of the vent window frame.

poppa

You don't by chance have a how to on adjusting these *%$# windows ,do you? Not even close.Which would you do first,quarters or doors??
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

bill440rt

Quote from: poppa on July 15, 2011, 11:56:31 AM
You don't by chance have a how to on adjusting these *%$# windows ,do you? Not even close.Which would you do first,quarters or doors??

Poppa, check out my 4th post in this thread. It kinda tells how to install/adjust the door windows. Yes, they can be tricky.
Leave the vent window bolts & the rear run channel bolts loose for now. With the assembly in place, gently close the door. Have a helper standing outside. Line up the vent window with the windshield pillar. Once the gap looks even, tighten it down. Then, adjust the rear run channel to get the height & angle right on the rear portion of the door side glass. It should be even with the upper roof rail.
Last, I adjust the 1/4 glass to match the angle of the door side glass. They should meet up.

I find it's easiest to adjust each one individually in that order: vent window, side glass, and finally 1/4 glass.
Good luck!

JT01

Great write up you helped me fiqure things out on mine with the pics you posted. Where did you get the weatherstrip seal that glues to the stainless molding on the rear of the glass.

poppa

Bill440rt,I actually have the door windows to a point they could stay where they are. My quarter ones are way off. They are too close to the outside "fuzzy" and when they go up to the top they are almost inside the car ( I think you would pull the bottom in). These were previously in the car. I have all adjustments set to be as close to the inside as possible. If I move any of them out,it just magnifies the problem.I believe I reinstalled the rollers in the correct spots. It does almost seem like the rear one in the vertical track is the biggest problem. I will play with it one more day now that I had a couple days away. If not I will have to try to find someone local to take a look. Thanks,Poppa

bill440rt

Quote from: poppa on July 17, 2011, 05:59:00 PM
Bill440rt,I actually have the door windows to a point they could stay where they are. My quarter ones are way off. They are too close to the outside "fuzzy" and when they go up to the top they are almost inside the car ( I think you would pull the bottom in). These were previously in the car. I have all adjustments set to be as close to the inside as possible. If I move any of them out,it just magnifies the problem.I believe I reinstalled the rollers in the correct spots. It does almost seem like the rear one in the vertical track is the biggest problem. I will play with it one more day now that I had a couple days away. If not I will have to try to find someone local to take a look. Thanks,Poppa

Poppa, there are large nuts inside the car that are connected to the rear window regulators. These adjust the angle of the 1/4 glass in & out. Have you tried adjusting them??  :scratchchin:
You need two wrenches on each one. One wrench holds one nut in place, when you turn the other it will adjust the angle of the glass. You can even do this with the door closed to check the gap & spacing of the 1/4 window.
:popcrn:

poppa

Yes,I have tried those. I had to take one of those rear tracks out to get it to adjust.

tiki

I would like to thank-you for all the valuable information you posted on your restoration,i am rebuilding a 69 charger r/t

bill440rt

mopar400

Hello Guys! Old thread I know..but its exactly what ive been working on..
I just need some pointers that I´m on the right track..
Could someone who has installed new glass guide channels tell me if this looks right:
[/img]

Of course the Window should be inside the channel, i´ve just test fitted it :)
The thing worries me it that, installed this way, the felt will be "rubbing" upp/down the channel,
feels like it`ll wear down pretty fast...but maybe not..if its design that way

Any tips much appreciated!

/Linus

poppa

If I remember right , the "felt" actually attaches to the window with some white guides???? If I'm wrong someone will chime in....

bill440rt

Quote from: mopar400 on November 03, 2015, 12:50:24 PM
Hello Guys! Old thread I know..but its exactly what ive been working on..
I just need some pointers that I´m on the right track..
Could someone who has installed new glass guide channels tell me if this looks right:
[/img]

Of course the Window should be inside the channel, i´ve just test fitted it :)
The thing worries me it that, installed this way, the felt will be "rubbing" upp/down the channel,
feels like it`ll wear down pretty fast...but maybe not..if its design that way

Any tips much appreciated!

/Linus

You're on the right track, that's how they are installed.
See the first few pics on pg.1 of this thread. The white plastic guides are under the felt seal.

mopar400

You're on the right track, that's how they are installed.
See the first few pics on pg.1 of this thread. The white plastic guides are under the felt seal.
[/quote]

ok great! Yes, thats what i thought, the felt folds over the plastic guides...
so now i need to cut the felt channel to size and install them into the window,
then install the window i the channel, right?

/L

Mikko

Fits to topic, what´s that white plastic thing called. Thats missing from my drivers side window rear moldingthing.

dodgepaul1969

Same project going on in my shop these days. My issue has been with the "fuzzy liners" that keep the window in the vent window channel. They seem to fit much to tight. The window goes in but (I assume anyways) it seems to tight, very hard to move up and down by hand, out of the car on the bench. What brand of the "plastic channel fuzzy things" did you use? sorry for the poor terminology, lol. The new ones I bought seem thicker than the original ones I removed. I've tried to reuse the originals but they are pretty dry and aren't handling re-installation very well.
1970 4-spd Superbird, '69 Charger 500 Daytona clone,2015 Hellcat 6-spd B-5 Blue,1968 572 Hemi Charger,70 GTX 535 6-pac 4 spd,69 GTX 440 4-spd Super Trac Pac Car,70 Coronet 500 "bee clone",70 383 4-spd Road Runner, 1973 383 Barracuda, and a couple Cummins and old school power wagons. All Mopar land over this a way

poppa

Got mine from a dealer. Don't know if they still got 'em?????

68pplcharger

Shmity1

Similar problem...the windows are so tight with those vent window to door glass seals that I have to stand on the window to get it to go down and lift on it to get it to go up.  Any hints?

Dino

I went back to using worn originals and my sticky window problems are over! The window motor zips it up and down with ease. With the repro felt the window wouldn't make it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

UH60L

First, wanted to say thanks to all who have contributed in this thread.  Great pics and info here.  I am working on my side glass for my '69 and have some questions. 

In the very first picture there is a line of white stuff on the glass, is that just tape or something?

For the front edge of the door glass to the vent window, are there two different seals there?  What I mean is, is there a felt seal in the vent window frame and another piece that attaches to the front edge of the glass with the white clips?  Or does that whole seal slide up and down with the glass, just rubbing inside the vent window frame.  (I really wish I had taken this apart so I would know how to reassemble, damn body shop!...)

On the back edge of the door glass, I am guessing just use "glass setting tape" to put the metal seal piece on.  (I already got the seals for between that and the rear side glass...)

Also, on the back edge of the door glass, is there a seal inside the track/rail ,in the door, that the back edge metal seal piece slides up and down in?  If so, does anyone sell that seal/felt?

Any info is appreciated and again, thanks to bill440rt and everyone else in this thread.

Clint

green69rt

Quote from: UH60L on July 23, 2018, 11:03:38 PM
First, wanted to say thanks to all who have contributed in this thread.  Great pics and info here.  I am working on my side glass for my '69 and have some questions. 

In the very first picture there is a line of white stuff on the glass, is that just tape or something?

For the front edge of the door glass to the vent window, are there two different seals there?  What I mean is, is there a felt seal in the vent window frame and another piece that attaches to the front edge of the glass with the white clips?  Or does that whole seal slide up and down with the glass, just rubbing inside the vent window frame.  (I really wish I had taken this apart so I would know how to reassemble, damn body shop!...)

On the back edge of the door glass, I am guessing just use "glass setting tape" to put the metal seal piece on.  (I already got the seals for between that and the rear side glass...)

Also, on the back edge of the door glass, is there a seal inside the track/rail ,in the door, that the back edge metal seal piece slides up and down in?  If so, does anyone sell that seal/felt?

Any info is appreciated and again, thanks to bill440rt and everyone else in this thread.

Clint

I used this thread to do my installation so thanks to Bill for posting.  To answer the questions: yes, the front seal is attached to the window glass and slides up and down in the channel with the glass since it's attached.  Some folks have had trouble with the repro seal being too tight (me included),  the NOS seals may be all gone so you're probably stuck.  I sanded the little white retainers and then I sprayed ArmourAll on the felt while the repro felts were out of the car, mine glide smoothely.  Finally, yes I used glass stting tape on the rear edge of the glass to attach the Chrome trim.   Glass setting tape is available thru

http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/glass-setting-tape-liners/

Get a couple of thicknesses, I've used it for other things like insulation of the gas tank straps from the tank.  I think I bought the 1/16", 1/32" and 3/64".  Can't remember what I used.

69bfan

At the current time, the Chrysler mylar seals that attaches with the "H" pins is officially NS1 and I seriously doubt that they will be brought back into production.  The reproduction mylar seal is also seeing limited availability due to the cost of the material to manufacture them. 

The heavy flocked rubber extrusion that is riveted into the lockside channel run is still available.  I still have about 700 feet of this extrusion, so they should be available for a number of years as few people replace this glass liner.

As discussed above, the glass setting tape is readily available from most glass shops and some restoration shops.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

bill440rt

Quote from: UH60L on July 23, 2018, 11:03:38 PM

Clint

Good to see this thread is still helping out other members.  :cheers:
Green69rt hit it on the head.  :2thumbs:
Yes, the front seal is held in place with the white clips, which ride in the vent window channel. Sometimes you see the original seals pop up on eBay, haven't had the chance to use the repros yet so I can't comment on those.
I think the extrusion seals that go in the rear run channel are also available reproduction? Could have sworn I saw them on Mega Parts' website as well. If 69bfan has seals of original material I'd go with those.  :cheers:

UH60L

Thanks guys, I think almost set.  Just one last question.  What goes in the other large hole on the bottom rear corner of the window.

I found one picture online that shows what appears to be a roller or guide in there.

Thanks again, looks like I'll have these babies installed in a few days finally.   :coolgleamA:

Dino

It's for the window stop. A plastic piece with a screw in the center. On a 69 it'll hit the window hardware so the glass doesn't squish the roof rail seal. Install AFTER installing the glass in the door.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

UH60L

After reading that, I did a search for window stops and compared the pictures I found to my parts kit, and I think I found them, but they didn't come with any screws.  What type/size screws should the stops have?

Also, and I apologize if I asked this question before, what size screws should I use to hold the upper window seal rails to the roof?  I have some 1/2 inch long, #8, cap head sheet metal screws but they almost seem too small diameter wise...

green69rt

Hope these help.

UH60L

poppa

69bfan

The glass stops are available as a reproduction.  The screw is not not available, so you will have to reuse your original.  Many vendors sell a complete rebuild kit, so you can check with your favorite supplier.  We have them as well and sell the individual components for those who do not need a kit for two doors.  Just drop me a message if your not able to source them.
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.

UH60L

Was getting ready to finally put the driver's side glass in this morning and noticed something that I hadn't noticed before.  Keep in kind that the body shop put a '68 driver's door on my '69, not sur eif that makes a difference, other than the door lock location...

There is a metal bracket that is mounted to the inside skin of the door about the middle of the door window area that sticks out outwards and I think is an upper stop for the regulator arm, maybe...   anyway, it looks like it would almost hit the glass as it went up and down.  Should it have anything on it like foam or rubber, or will it clear the glass?

BLK 68 R/T

If it's the L shaped piece that has 2 bolts that hold it on? Then yes, it has a thick piece of rubber installed on the part that sticks out and contacts the regulator arm. It is the up stop. Piece of hose may work if you can find a size that will fit tight.

UH60L

Yep, that's it.  Good to know.  I've got some heater hose I can adapt.

Thanks,

Clint

UH60L

Well, I ran into the problem others have had with the channel seals not sliding in the channels.  In fact after fiddling with it a couple times, I tore a hole in one of mine!

So, I go online to order a new set, and what do I see: "Note: Seals will not work on new glass, these are for original glass only."

Well, there ya go, I have all new glass.  I'm guessing the new glass is a wee bit thicker or something.

Guess I'll order another set anyway and try to grind the white clips down and see what I can do...

69bfan

If you can locate a pair of the original "H" pins, they are not as thick and work much better than the reproductions.

ChargerRT69

Quote from: UH60L on August 04, 2018, 04:40:42 PM
Well, I ran into the problem others have had with the channel seals not sliding in the channels.  In fact after fiddling with it a couple times, I tore a hole in one of mine!

So, I go online to order a new set, and what do I see: "Note: Seals will not work on new glass, these are for original glass only."

Well, there ya go, I have all new glass.  I'm guessing the new glass is a wee bit thicker or something.

Guess I'll order another set anyway and try to grind the white clips down and see what I can do...

"UH60L" , Did you ever get your new white clips and front glass edge channel seal? I am having the same issue and now that my channel seal is "torn up" from trying to make them work so much, I need to get a new set. As I was looking for a new set, I also saw the "Note: Seals will not work on new glass, these are for original glass only."

Has anyone found a set of channel seals and clips that work with aftermarket glass? I have the original glass, channel seals and clips.... but the glass is all scratched up and the channel seals are disintegrating. I could reuse the white slips, but I disagree with "69bfan" (no offense), but in comparing the original they are not too far off from the original that I had in my Charger (see picture). My original set of glass channel seal and clips were from Year One - Part Number: FD32230. I am not sure to buy from them again or go somewhere else??? Anyone have any luck with a set with aftermarket glass?

My local glass guy (where I bought the glass) says he will make it work, but I am a little reluctant to do that.... He also says that the felt and track should be lubricated with silicone spray or white lithium grease. I see "green69rt" used ArmourAll but has anyone else used anything or had to use anything? What did the factory do back in the day?

Any comments are welcomed and I am very thankful to "bill440rt" for starting this thread.

green69rt

Just a note on a couple of things I did.  I used the ArmourAll because it has silicone in it.  Next I did sand down the white spacers so the fit is just a tiny bit osser.  Fiunally, if you look closely at the repops, they stick out on the glass more than OEM.  Last thing, be really careful of the foot at the bottom of the channel.  Tore one of my seals on it because I didn't pay attention.  Two people really makes this whole process easier.

ChargerST

Bringing back an old thread: I need to replace the seal between the door glass and quarter glass. Can this be done without taking the window out? How is the seal attached to the stainless channel?

bill440rt

Quote from: ChargerST on July 07, 2020, 02:31:57 AM
Bringing back an old thread: I need to replace the seal between the door glass and quarter glass. Can this be done without taking the window out? How is the seal attached to the stainless channel?

To do it properly the glass should come out. The stainless end molding rides within the rear run channel. It's just glued on with weatherstrip adhesive.

ChargerST

UH60L

Well, I'm bringing this thread back to life for a second time, hehe. 

Long story short, just after my last post, life got in the way, got a new job, moved to a different city etc etc.  On a positive note, I have a bigger garage now!  Never did finish installing/adjusting the driver's door glass, and never got the passenger side in.  The car is finally drivable again (rear diff had eaten itself back in 2017...) and suddenly I find myself motivated to work on it again. 

A quick question for bill440rt if your still around, what armor all product did you use to lube your vent window channel?  IS there an alternative silicone lube that would work?  After searching my old doors and glass (that I thankfully kept) I found my original white clips and used those with the new set of seals on the front edge.  It works, but the re-pop seal is still so tight that I think I may have already damaged my new regulator trying to move the window up and down to check alignment!  (it pops like it's skipping teeth!)

Also, I left the two seals out like was originally mentioned in this thread, but have struggled to install them now, finally got the inside one, but the outside one is kicking my but.  Really hard to get the angle to get the clips into the holes...