News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door Glass Installation: Project '69 Gets Some Side Glass!!

Started by bill440rt, January 28, 2008, 10:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Quote from: poppa on July 17, 2011, 05:59:00 PM
Bill440rt,I actually have the door windows to a point they could stay where they are. My quarter ones are way off. They are too close to the outside "fuzzy" and when they go up to the top they are almost inside the car ( I think you would pull the bottom in). These were previously in the car. I have all adjustments set to be as close to the inside as possible. If I move any of them out,it just magnifies the problem.I believe I reinstalled the rollers in the correct spots. It does almost seem like the rear one in the vertical track is the biggest problem. I will play with it one more day now that I had a couple days away. If not I will have to try to find someone local to take a look. Thanks,Poppa

Poppa, there are large nuts inside the car that are connected to the rear window regulators. These adjust the angle of the 1/4 glass in & out. Have you tried adjusting them??  :scratchchin:
You need two wrenches on each one. One wrench holds one nut in place, when you turn the other it will adjust the angle of the glass. You can even do this with the door closed to check the gap & spacing of the 1/4 window.
:popcrn:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

poppa

Yes,I have tried those. I had to take one of those rear tracks out to get it to adjust.
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

tiki

I would like to thank-you for all the valuable information you posted on your restoration,i am rebuilding a 69 charger r/t

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mopar400

Hello Guys! Old thread I know..but its exactly what ive been working on..
I just need some pointers that I´m on the right track..
Could someone who has installed new glass guide channels tell me if this looks right:
[/img]

Of course the Window should be inside the channel, i´ve just test fitted it :)
The thing worries me it that, installed this way, the felt will be "rubbing" upp/down the channel,
feels like it`ll wear down pretty fast...but maybe not..if its design that way

Any tips much appreciated!

/Linus

poppa

If I remember right , the "felt" actually attaches to the window with some white guides???? If I'm wrong someone will chime in....

bill440rt

Quote from: mopar400 on November 03, 2015, 12:50:24 PM
Hello Guys! Old thread I know..but its exactly what ive been working on..
I just need some pointers that I´m on the right track..
Could someone who has installed new glass guide channels tell me if this looks right:
[/img]

Of course the Window should be inside the channel, i´ve just test fitted it :)
The thing worries me it that, installed this way, the felt will be "rubbing" upp/down the channel,
feels like it`ll wear down pretty fast...but maybe not..if its design that way

Any tips much appreciated!

/Linus

You're on the right track, that's how they are installed.
See the first few pics on pg.1 of this thread. The white plastic guides are under the felt seal.

mopar400

You're on the right track, that's how they are installed.
See the first few pics on pg.1 of this thread. The white plastic guides are under the felt seal.
[/quote]

ok great! Yes, thats what i thought, the felt folds over the plastic guides...
so now i need to cut the felt channel to size and install them into the window,
then install the window i the channel, right?

/L

Mikko

Fits to topic, what´s that white plastic thing called. Thats missing from my drivers side window rear moldingthing.

dodgepaul1969

Same project going on in my shop these days. My issue has been with the "fuzzy liners" that keep the window in the vent window channel. They seem to fit much to tight. The window goes in but (I assume anyways) it seems to tight, very hard to move up and down by hand, out of the car on the bench. What brand of the "plastic channel fuzzy things" did you use? sorry for the poor terminology, lol. The new ones I bought seem thicker than the original ones I removed. I've tried to reuse the originals but they are pretty dry and aren't handling re-installation very well.
1970 4-spd Superbird, '69 Charger 500 Daytona clone,2015 Hellcat 6-spd B-5 Blue,1968 572 Hemi Charger,70 GTX 535 6-pac 4 spd,69 GTX 440 4-spd Super Trac Pac Car,70 Coronet 500 "bee clone",70 383 4-spd Road Runner, 1973 383 Barracuda, and a couple Cummins and old school power wagons. All Mopar land over this a way

poppa

Got mine from a dealer. Don't know if they still got 'em?????

68pplcharger

Shmity1

Similar problem...the windows are so tight with those vent window to door glass seals that I have to stand on the window to get it to go down and lift on it to get it to go up.  Any hints?

Dino

I went back to using worn originals and my sticky window problems are over! The window motor zips it up and down with ease. With the repro felt the window wouldn't make it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

UH60L

First, wanted to say thanks to all who have contributed in this thread.  Great pics and info here.  I am working on my side glass for my '69 and have some questions. 

In the very first picture there is a line of white stuff on the glass, is that just tape or something?

For the front edge of the door glass to the vent window, are there two different seals there?  What I mean is, is there a felt seal in the vent window frame and another piece that attaches to the front edge of the glass with the white clips?  Or does that whole seal slide up and down with the glass, just rubbing inside the vent window frame.  (I really wish I had taken this apart so I would know how to reassemble, damn body shop!...)

On the back edge of the door glass, I am guessing just use "glass setting tape" to put the metal seal piece on.  (I already got the seals for between that and the rear side glass...)

Also, on the back edge of the door glass, is there a seal inside the track/rail ,in the door, that the back edge metal seal piece slides up and down in?  If so, does anyone sell that seal/felt?

Any info is appreciated and again, thanks to bill440rt and everyone else in this thread.

Clint

green69rt

Quote from: UH60L on July 23, 2018, 11:03:38 PM
First, wanted to say thanks to all who have contributed in this thread.  Great pics and info here.  I am working on my side glass for my '69 and have some questions. 

In the very first picture there is a line of white stuff on the glass, is that just tape or something?

For the front edge of the door glass to the vent window, are there two different seals there?  What I mean is, is there a felt seal in the vent window frame and another piece that attaches to the front edge of the glass with the white clips?  Or does that whole seal slide up and down with the glass, just rubbing inside the vent window frame.  (I really wish I had taken this apart so I would know how to reassemble, damn body shop!...)

On the back edge of the door glass, I am guessing just use "glass setting tape" to put the metal seal piece on.  (I already got the seals for between that and the rear side glass...)

Also, on the back edge of the door glass, is there a seal inside the track/rail ,in the door, that the back edge metal seal piece slides up and down in?  If so, does anyone sell that seal/felt?

Any info is appreciated and again, thanks to bill440rt and everyone else in this thread.

Clint

I used this thread to do my installation so thanks to Bill for posting.  To answer the questions: yes, the front seal is attached to the window glass and slides up and down in the channel with the glass since it's attached.  Some folks have had trouble with the repro seal being too tight (me included),  the NOS seals may be all gone so you're probably stuck.  I sanded the little white retainers and then I sprayed ArmourAll on the felt while the repro felts were out of the car, mine glide smoothely.  Finally, yes I used glass stting tape on the rear edge of the glass to attach the Chrome trim.   Glass setting tape is available thru

http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/glass-setting-tape-liners/

Get a couple of thicknesses, I've used it for other things like insulation of the gas tank straps from the tank.  I think I bought the 1/16", 1/32" and 3/64".  Can't remember what I used.

69bfan

At the current time, the Chrysler mylar seals that attaches with the "H" pins is officially NS1 and I seriously doubt that they will be brought back into production.  The reproduction mylar seal is also seeing limited availability due to the cost of the material to manufacture them. 

The heavy flocked rubber extrusion that is riveted into the lockside channel run is still available.  I still have about 700 feet of this extrusion, so they should be available for a number of years as few people replace this glass liner.

As discussed above, the glass setting tape is readily available from most glass shops and some restoration shops.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

bill440rt

Quote from: UH60L on July 23, 2018, 11:03:38 PM

Clint

Good to see this thread is still helping out other members.  :cheers:
Green69rt hit it on the head.  :2thumbs:
Yes, the front seal is held in place with the white clips, which ride in the vent window channel. Sometimes you see the original seals pop up on eBay, haven't had the chance to use the repros yet so I can't comment on those.
I think the extrusion seals that go in the rear run channel are also available reproduction? Could have sworn I saw them on Mega Parts' website as well. If 69bfan has seals of original material I'd go with those.  :cheers:

UH60L

Thanks guys, I think almost set.  Just one last question.  What goes in the other large hole on the bottom rear corner of the window.

I found one picture online that shows what appears to be a roller or guide in there.

Thanks again, looks like I'll have these babies installed in a few days finally.   :coolgleamA:

Dino

It's for the window stop. A plastic piece with a screw in the center. On a 69 it'll hit the window hardware so the glass doesn't squish the roof rail seal. Install AFTER installing the glass in the door.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

UH60L

After reading that, I did a search for window stops and compared the pictures I found to my parts kit, and I think I found them, but they didn't come with any screws.  What type/size screws should the stops have?

Also, and I apologize if I asked this question before, what size screws should I use to hold the upper window seal rails to the roof?  I have some 1/2 inch long, #8, cap head sheet metal screws but they almost seem too small diameter wise...

green69rt

Hope these help.

UH60L

poppa

69bfan

The glass stops are available as a reproduction.  The screw is not not available, so you will have to reuse your original.  Many vendors sell a complete rebuild kit, so you can check with your favorite supplier.  We have them as well and sell the individual components for those who do not need a kit for two doors.  Just drop me a message if your not able to source them.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com