News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door Glass Installation: Project '69 Gets Some Side Glass!!

Started by bill440rt, January 28, 2008, 10:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UH60L

Was getting ready to finally put the driver's side glass in this morning and noticed something that I hadn't noticed before.  Keep in kind that the body shop put a '68 driver's door on my '69, not sur eif that makes a difference, other than the door lock location...

There is a metal bracket that is mounted to the inside skin of the door about the middle of the door window area that sticks out outwards and I think is an upper stop for the regulator arm, maybe...   anyway, it looks like it would almost hit the glass as it went up and down.  Should it have anything on it like foam or rubber, or will it clear the glass?

BLK 68 R/T

If it's the L shaped piece that has 2 bolts that hold it on? Then yes, it has a thick piece of rubber installed on the part that sticks out and contacts the regulator arm. It is the up stop. Piece of hose may work if you can find a size that will fit tight.

UH60L

Yep, that's it.  Good to know.  I've got some heater hose I can adapt.

Thanks,

Clint

UH60L

Well, I ran into the problem others have had with the channel seals not sliding in the channels.  In fact after fiddling with it a couple times, I tore a hole in one of mine!

So, I go online to order a new set, and what do I see: "Note: Seals will not work on new glass, these are for original glass only."

Well, there ya go, I have all new glass.  I'm guessing the new glass is a wee bit thicker or something.

Guess I'll order another set anyway and try to grind the white clips down and see what I can do...

69bfan

If you can locate a pair of the original "H" pins, they are not as thick and work much better than the reproductions.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

ChargerRT69

Quote from: UH60L on August 04, 2018, 04:40:42 PM
Well, I ran into the problem others have had with the channel seals not sliding in the channels.  In fact after fiddling with it a couple times, I tore a hole in one of mine!

So, I go online to order a new set, and what do I see: "Note: Seals will not work on new glass, these are for original glass only."

Well, there ya go, I have all new glass.  I'm guessing the new glass is a wee bit thicker or something.

Guess I'll order another set anyway and try to grind the white clips down and see what I can do...

"UH60L" , Did you ever get your new white clips and front glass edge channel seal? I am having the same issue and now that my channel seal is "torn up" from trying to make them work so much, I need to get a new set. As I was looking for a new set, I also saw the "Note: Seals will not work on new glass, these are for original glass only."

Has anyone found a set of channel seals and clips that work with aftermarket glass? I have the original glass, channel seals and clips.... but the glass is all scratched up and the channel seals are disintegrating. I could reuse the white slips, but I disagree with "69bfan" (no offense), but in comparing the original they are not too far off from the original that I had in my Charger (see picture). My original set of glass channel seal and clips were from Year One - Part Number: FD32230. I am not sure to buy from them again or go somewhere else??? Anyone have any luck with a set with aftermarket glass?

My local glass guy (where I bought the glass) says he will make it work, but I am a little reluctant to do that.... He also says that the felt and track should be lubricated with silicone spray or white lithium grease. I see "green69rt" used ArmourAll but has anyone else used anything or had to use anything? What did the factory do back in the day?

Any comments are welcomed and I am very thankful to "bill440rt" for starting this thread.

green69rt

Just a note on a couple of things I did.  I used the ArmourAll because it has silicone in it.  Next I did sand down the white spacers so the fit is just a tiny bit osser.  Fiunally, if you look closely at the repops, they stick out on the glass more than OEM.  Last thing, be really careful of the foot at the bottom of the channel.  Tore one of my seals on it because I didn't pay attention.  Two people really makes this whole process easier.

ChargerST

Bringing back an old thread: I need to replace the seal between the door glass and quarter glass. Can this be done without taking the window out? How is the seal attached to the stainless channel?

bill440rt

Quote from: ChargerST on July 07, 2020, 02:31:57 AM
Bringing back an old thread: I need to replace the seal between the door glass and quarter glass. Can this be done without taking the window out? How is the seal attached to the stainless channel?

To do it properly the glass should come out. The stainless end molding rides within the rear run channel. It's just glued on with weatherstrip adhesive.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

ChargerST

UH60L

Well, I'm bringing this thread back to life for a second time, hehe. 

Long story short, just after my last post, life got in the way, got a new job, moved to a different city etc etc.  On a positive note, I have a bigger garage now!  Never did finish installing/adjusting the driver's door glass, and never got the passenger side in.  The car is finally drivable again (rear diff had eaten itself back in 2017...) and suddenly I find myself motivated to work on it again. 

A quick question for bill440rt if your still around, what armor all product did you use to lube your vent window channel?  IS there an alternative silicone lube that would work?  After searching my old doors and glass (that I thankfully kept) I found my original white clips and used those with the new set of seals on the front edge.  It works, but the re-pop seal is still so tight that I think I may have already damaged my new regulator trying to move the window up and down to check alignment!  (it pops like it's skipping teeth!)

Also, I left the two seals out like was originally mentioned in this thread, but have struggled to install them now, finally got the inside one, but the outside one is kicking my but.  Really hard to get the angle to get the clips into the holes...