News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this vapor lock too?

Started by monty76, October 06, 2005, 08:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty76

Drove the car into work today, about 86miles. Temp gauge shows about 175-180. Stopped to fill up and when I tried to restart if cranked slowly about 3 times then caught. Got on the road and put my foot into it. Nice burn-out, right after which the car started to surge, after 15s or so it went away and then I drove the last 3m into work. When I backed up into the parking spot I got the surge again, not as bad, then the car died. Took off the air cleaner and cycled the throttle, didn't get the normal whisp of fuel coming out of the carb I normally see when it's warm and I do that. Hit it with starter fluid and it turned over and wanted to catch then nothing. Seems like a fuel delivery issue.
   For what it's worth the engine just got out of rebuild(900m ago) so it has a new high volume fuel pump and mini starter. I don't think I broke the fuel pump since I did make it the 3m to work, not enough fuel in the bowls to go that far. Today is the first time I've driven to work, stopped for gas then started up and drove a bit more. Normally I go straight to the parking garage. Like I said I didn't see the fuel steam when I cycle the throttle.

440 with a Eldebrock 750, no spacer on a RPM intake

Please help me dodge a 86m tow fee.

monty76

Also the rpm was a bit low afterwards too, about 700is vice the 800 it normally sits at

monty76

Yup, fuel cooked off, running now. Looks like I got some work to do.

firefighter3931

Hi Monty, sounds like vapor lock....started up fine once everything cooled back down...sounds familiar !   :yesnod: There are thngs you can do to help:

(1) Change the intake manifold gasket (bath tub) to a Felpro #1215....this will keep the intake cooler by blocking off the heat crossover passages.
(2) Buy a carb insulating gasket. These are about 3/8in thick and prevent conductive heat transfer from the intake to the carb. Edelbrock as well as others make this gasket. Edelbrock # 9266
(3) Make sure your fuel line isn't coming into contact with any heat source ; block, heater hoses, rad hoses etc...

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cudaken

Have the engine shot with a temp gun to make sure you are at only 175 to 180. Crank slow like that does sort sound like a hot engine.

Surgging sure sounds like a fuel pump on it's way out. One thing I learned, just because it new does not mean it not bad.

Cuda Ken

I am back

grouseman

Vapour lock only occurs in the mechanical fuel pump when it is too hot.  Suction applied to the fuel merely results in instant boiling, and so no liquid fuel gets pumped.  An electric fuel pump will cure this, or lower engine temperatures, or more airflow across the fuel pump. 

Heat soak problems occur when gas is boiling inside the carb fuel bowls, either while running or not.  The air around the carb will be saturated with fuel vapours, and the carb itself may be dry.  Insulator gaskets or heat shields are needed here. 

Initial timing that is too far advanced can make a hot engine very difficult to turn over.  Reduce the intial timing. 

grouseman