News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger grille restoration database

Started by Magnumcharger, February 10, 2008, 09:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD80MACKing

I am trying to find out what color the piece between the bottom of the grille (1969) and the bumper was from the factory. I guess it would be called a filler panel. Was it black plasitc/semi gloss black or was it the color of the body? Mine was painted to match the body which was a non stock color. I am now painting the car black and was wondering what color to paint the seperator? Thanks for any info...

Al Moran

Charger-Bodie

Black. no matter what color the car is that part is to be black.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

SmashingPunkFan

Wow guys! those look wicked! I need to find a '70 Grille so I can start my resto on it... would you guys know of a good place I could look for one?
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

SmashingPunkFan

Also, whats like a good deal for one of these? I've seen some for like $600 bucks w/ a few broken fins. I don't know what would be worth what I'm paying
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

fastandfurious

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 23, 2008, 03:17:09 PM
Before and after....(have to put trim on still)

my dear god that looks soooooo cool!! lovee it. what did you do? just some painting and filling?
I think I figured out what Mopar means....
Mopower
Moattitude
Morattles
and Mofun.

ChargerD100

I'm restoring my '69 I bought last week, and need the passenger side of the grille only one I could find in better shape was $850 anyone know of cheaper? the rest of the grille on my car is in great shape except the chrome
Current Mopars: 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins, 1970 Dodge D100

My old Build Thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82511.0.html

Ghoste

Ltaylor0916

I am having some problems removing my grille in in a 69 Charger. I have everything undone, from what I can see, but I seem to be stuck around the headlight area.  Is there something that I need to undo around there to get the grille out? It seems like I need to take the rod out that opens and closes the headlight, but I am not sure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Cooter

Quote from: Ltaylor0916 on December 14, 2011, 11:03:36 PM
I am having some problems removing my grille in in a 69 Charger. I have everything undone, from what I can see, but I seem to be stuck around the headlight area.  Is there something that I need to undo around there to get the grille out? It seems like I need to take the rod out that opens and closes the headlight, but I am not sure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Have you removed the two bolts in the brackets on each side BEHIND the headlights? They go straight into the inner fender just below the headlight doors.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cop Magnet

Great thread compilation! I am just starting on a 68 grill with the following issue. As you can see, the plastic backing piece is pretty rough. I think I can epoxy some missing chunks, or use the "melted grill material" technique to build it up. However, the protruding end pieces, that fill in the space above the bumper, are gone completely. Any ideas on how to build these out? Anybody sell this piece intact? What is it even called? Thanks in advance.

JB400

Looks like you have enough of a profile to make a mold and make a patch to fill in the missing pieces.  You'd have to sculpt in your two ends.  If you want someone to do it for you, Gswrestorations@aol.com .  I haven't had any work done by him yet, but others have and seem happy with the results.

Welcome to the forum.

Cop Magnet

Thank you!
I would like to do it myself, if possible. The main issue is how to template the pieces that stick out at the lower front lip. The straight pieces are easy, as I can use the existing panel as a guide. But the curvy parts that stick out are clearly more free form. Any ideas on this?
And thanks for the welcome. This is my first Charger. It will be a resto-mod and you will be hearing more from me :D

68hardchargerrt

Quote from: Cop Magnet on June 11, 2013, 04:49:22 PM
Thank you!
I would like to do it myself, if possible. The main issue is how to template the pieces that stick out at the lower front lip. The straight pieces are easy, as I can use the existing panel as a guide. But the curvy parts that stick out are clearly more free form. Any ideas on this?
And thanks for the welcome. This is my first Charger. It will be a resto-mod and you will be hearing more from me :D

When I swapped out my original grille with a spare, before I tucked it away, I made molds of both corners so that I could repair other grilles I came across.  If someone near you has a good grille and would be willing to spare about an hour, you or he  or both of you could easily make molds with any bodyfiller.  It comes out very accurate and works perfect for a form to repair missing corners...even if the whole area is missing.  Here is one side that I made .  I taped off the grille very well so that the filler doesn't stick and damage the grille, and gently pry the mold out after it hardened.  worked like a charm.

Before repair:
"If you ain't breaking stuff, you ain't driving it right"  Carroll Shelby

68hardchargerrt

after making mold:

68hardchargerrt

grille after repair:

JB400

Ghoste

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

68pplcharger

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FastbackJon

I painted mine recently. Thanks to whomever decided to recommend the SEM Titanium Metallic paint (15253). That's what I ended up using.

I went with semi-gloss black and decided to shoot the vertical bars black instead of the factory silver as I thought it looked better.

You will notice the grille is also painted black where the wide surrounding piece is instead of silver. A previous owner did that. I don't think it looks too bad.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

FastbackJon

Comparison shot of a blue car with the silver surround and the silver vertical bars (like the factory did it).
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Cop Magnet

Here's my thread on my 68 grille restomodded to include angel eye HID headlamps. The post has lots of pics and general how-to on repairing and molding the plastic components.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,118025.0.html

plum500