News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is this?!

Started by a192074m, December 06, 2008, 01:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a192074m

Can anyone help me with this?  its off a SE Boughman.. the origional viynil top is removed but around the opera windows (thats what i call them..what is the actual name?) it looks like they were puttied in>> was that common practice in the 70's or did someone take an easy way out?? what is it supposed to look like? (minus the top)  thanks

72charger440

i have seen on many chargers including my own 72 SE the puttied stuff u r talk-in about i think its just bondo not sure tho , i think the factory just did it in a hurry 2 get the cars out and on to the dealerships lots . I'm not sure y the did it that way it was stupid i think because if u got moisture beeween ur vinyl roof and the window they rust really bad. i have never seen a charger SE 72 or 73 with the inserts in them with out a vinyl top unless someone made the car pro street. i think all SE came from the factory with vinyl tops I'm not sure tho.  good luck with ur car. 3rd gen chargers rule!
72 charger SE 440 big block  
mopar or no car!!!!

terrible one

Quote from: 72charger440 on December 09, 2008, 12:05:30 AM
I'm not sure y the did it that way it was stupid i think because if u got moisture beeween ur vinyl roof and the window they rust really bad.

You're absolutely right! Here's an example I found

a192074m

thanks guys!>> my buddy believes that it used to have the top on but more than likely got dry rotted>> what would be the best way to seal around that?? i was thinking some high temp silicone caulk   :scratchchin:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: a192074m on December 09, 2008, 05:36:24 AM
thanks guys!>> my buddy believes that it used to have the top on but more than likely got dry rotted>> what would be the best way to seal around that?? i was thinking some high temp silicone caulk   :scratchchin:

Silicone caulk and bare steel are a great recipe for EXTREME rust. Dont do that!

take it apart clean it properly treat it with the proper primers (epoxt is what Id use) seal it with a good quality seam sealer, paint it, and put the V/T back on.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

The70RT

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 09, 2008, 09:12:58 AM
Quote from: a192074m on December 09, 2008, 05:36:24 AM

Silicone caulk and bare steel are a great recipe for EXTREME rust. Dont do that!

take it apart clean it properly treat it with the proper primers (epoxt is what Id use) seal it with a good quality seam sealer, paint it, and put the V/T back on.

Brian knows best :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

a192074m